ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Strange Results - Try For Yourself..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/621758-strange-results-try-for-yourself.html)

Jarvmiester 17 July 2007 05:59 PM

Strange Results - Try For Yourself.....

OK,

Getting dummy insurance quotes using a number plate I've grabbed off of Auto Trader. Basically, when I go for a quote saying that I've got three points for speeding it comes out with £421, but when i go for everything exactly the same but with NO points my quote comes to £531.

Why might this be? Both are pretty good quotes - but the results are strange to say the least......

I got them at:

Cheap UK Car insurance and home insurance quotes comparison from Confused.com.

Jarv

Boost II 17 July 2007 06:26 PM

Perhaps the quotes are with different underwriters. The comparison site might direct you to one company if you are clean and another if you have points?

Jarvmiester 17 July 2007 11:02 PM

they were from different underwriters, but you'd have thought that all underwriters would get the chance to quote - rather than some for some circumstances and some for others.

After all it's all done by computer, and therefore is no exra work for anyone. All that has to happen at the end is the lowest price has to be picked.

Wierd. It's actually going to be worth my while to go and tear through a speed camera and get a fine! Never throught I'd see the day.

Jarv

stara 18 July 2007 08:13 AM

i got the same when i stated 'garaged' it was more than £100 dearer than 'parked on street'

Trout 18 July 2007 08:17 AM

And if you try different times of day or different days of the week then that balance may change.

totalllama 18 July 2007 08:38 AM

Always add a female to your policy - preferably your bird/mum! Brings it down by loads!!

[Davey] 18 July 2007 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by totalllama (Post 7118008)
Always add a female to your policy - preferably your bird/mum! Brings it down by loads!!

Interesting you say that.. My other half always put my policy up by around £150 but when she bought her first scoob it was like £1200 FC on her own name only or £750 with me as a named driver.. :wonder:

PeteBrant 18 July 2007 09:28 AM

Odd, that seems to suggest that insurers are a bunch of complete crooks who make it up as they go along.

;)

[Davey] 18 July 2007 09:30 AM

Surely not! :D next you'll be telling me the government are crooked!

The rookie 18 July 2007 09:47 AM

It all depends on the second driver risk, if your birds a bad risk (licence 18 months, one claim), it will go up, your 55 year old mum on the other hand...

Simon

Crosstalk 18 July 2007 10:19 AM

Maybe if you've evidence of speeding, your quote is less because in theory, you drive faster and therefore spend less time on the road. Less time driving = less chance to crash. Just maybe.:p

jayltee1 18 July 2007 10:28 AM

The Missus has 3 points and I checked the quote with and without her points and it makes £100 difference even though they were back in 2004. If I take her off the policy all together my premium goes up by £300! Crooks!

GazTheHat 18 July 2007 11:49 AM

Maybe they think that you speed a lot, so will get more points, be banned and not be driving the full year :freak3:

rossyboy 18 July 2007 12:46 PM

It doesnt even have to be someone you know or who even exists. You could make up the name of a woman, say she's in her 50's and that she is known to you as "other".

She will never make a claim as she doesn't exist. Therefore, Insurance company will be none the wiser and you've saved yourself a good few ££ :)

xanderjones 18 July 2007 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by stara (Post 7117963)
i got the same when i stated 'garaged' it was more than £100 dearer than 'parked on street'

Is this with Admiral/Elephant? I get this too, I can just about understand parked on street being cheaper (Less chance of break in for keys?), but why is a garaged car more expensive to insure? Maybe the commie insurers think if you can afford a house with a garage you can afford another £100 on your insurance!

stara 18 July 2007 11:01 PM

yes it was with admiral, i like their website though, probably the best one i have used as it is really easy and quick to add mods, change cars etc to get different quotes etc.

Boost II 18 July 2007 11:13 PM

They work all this out on statistics, not with logic when assessing the risks

Presumably one of the companies has concluded from its data, that people with 3 points really have made less claims. It is possible to imagine that if you got flashed for speeding it might sh1t you up a bit and then you drove extra carefully for a year or two - particularly if was just the average person driving to the shops or on the school run who make most of the claims anyway.

The other company might have had more experience with us scooby drivers who get flashed then just say "**** it - 3 more strikes before i'm out" and their statistics would tell a different (more exciting!) story.

As Churchill said (Winston, not the insurance comapny).....
"There are lies, damn lies - and then statistics"

daz_don1 19 July 2007 07:43 AM

if anyones interested try putting details into LG= frizzell insurance.

worth a try you might be surprised

csma: Motoring