ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   A Car Reborn (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/62125-a-car-reborn.html)

BOB.T 01 January 2002 06:21 PM

Hi

Just wondered if anyone else saw this, it was on for most of the day today, I watched it with some friends in a severely hungover state!

Anyhoo, at the end of the show the guy said he'd spent £85,000 buying and restoring his E type drop head so of course this developed into an argument over how much it's actually worth now!

My bid: £30,000
Our kid: £50,000
James: Over £100,000

So who's the nearest?

Bob

POC 01 January 2002 08:41 PM

I too watched this programe, very interesting.

I cannot imagine that the car would be worth anywhere over £30k..... somehow I doubt he would sell it!

P

dsmith 01 January 2002 08:48 PM

I think its quite funny. If you watch a car is born (cobra kit car) from the beginning. He starts out with all good intentions of doing it as a realistic project. Then more a and more bits become "new" instead of reconditioned. 2 litre Sierra lump gets replaced with tuned V8 etc . :) So many of the Jag bits looked brand new it must have very little of the original left.

And just think, he can write it all off against tax :D

Wonder how big is garage is now, Cobra, Plane and E-Type :)

teen_machine 01 January 2002 09:51 PM

I watched it today! Was a very nice car to say the least!!

BOB.T 01 January 2002 10:31 PM

They're not worth that much any more are they, I thought not!

I only saw a few of the cobra ones and the Jag from paint on but yeah, a lot of new and uprated parts! The jag is barely original at all, still it does look nice though!

That Scotch bloke was doing my head in, " Superb car, I love, lovely gearbox, lot's torque"....SHUT UP MAN[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Bob

stu200 01 January 2002 11:47 PM

From the show's page on the Discovery site http://www.discoveryeurope2.com/car/html/html/index.htm

"What's going to happen to the car?
Well, is going to get sold because the budget for the car started off at a total of £40,000 and a restored E-Type is worth about £40,000 so we felt we could break even but the total build on the car ended up being £85,000. That is a lesson to all people thinking of restoring classic cars - get an estimate, then double it and add a bit and you'll be closer to the final price."

The Zohan 02 January 2002 01:38 PM

£ 85K - WOW i would have brought something exotic and interesting for that sort of cash.
Miura SV maybe???
Daytona spider???
DB4/5/6 and spent the change on a 70's 911 as a runabout

Current value of a top class concourse e type is around half that - each to his/her own i suppose.

Tim W 02 January 2002 02:09 PM

That guy, Mark isn't it, who has built / re-built all these things is insane, as well as being an over enthusiastic amateur he's a Vet isn't he?

Having had a boring family Christmas we watched most of the Discovery H&L stuff, did anyone see 'The house that John re-built'? I was wondering why I recognised the guy when thge credits rolled and 'Ginger Productions' came up... John Revell, Chris Evan's mate / prodcer / business partner...hmm what a cunning way of getting your new house done up and getting someone else to pay for it! Prooves it's not what but who you know :rolleyes:

AJF 02 January 2002 06:13 PM

who did build that kit car know pligrim kit car compamy and workshop used for that build was part of there workshop ????

John Stevenson 02 January 2002 06:26 PM

Bob, if you'd ever sat side saddle with that 'Scotch' bloke you wouldn't be saying what you are. Ian Forrest is the Chief Instructor at Knockhill, very, very quick. He has forgotten more about cars and driving than you know ;) !!

---john---

DavidBrown 02 January 2002 06:35 PM

Well, what it's worth to us muppets and what it's worth to enthusiasts is another thing.

I was suprised that it came out at £85K, but don't forget, it was a no-expense spared effort, with lead-loading rather than filling. If any part was slightly corroded it was replaced etc.

I think enthusiasts would pay around £50K for it, as it appeared absolutely mint, right down to the last detail.

Also, while it wasn't an economic restoration, it did RESCUE one from oblivion, and thumbs up to anyone bringing an old car back from the dead.

Also, once he'd started, he could hardly stop once he realise what a rot-box he'd bought (as it was all televised etc).

Interestingly, I wonder who footed the bill for it !

BOB.T 02 January 2002 07:32 PM

John, sorry mate I didn't mean to cause offence, I don't doubt that he is a very capable driver, maybe that he should just stick to that rather than TV but then who am I to say!

As for the car...yes it's nice that he saved it, yes it is a good rebuild and yes I can see where the money went having been in the trade but....is it worth it?

For all the new bits on it you could just buy a new replica surely?

Bob

Neanderthal 02 January 2002 08:09 PM

I watched the original A Car is Born when I was made redundant a year ago. I found it compelling even though I posess no mechanical skills what-so-ever :D

The series where he built the plane and learnt to fly were just as good. :)

I couldn't really get as interested in A Car is Reborn. It just seemed like a manual would sound "you put this bit here, fix it here, fasten this to here" etc.

Funnily enough this one is the only one of the series I wouldn't consider buying and it's the only one for sale :rolleyes:

Matt

John Stevenson 03 January 2002 03:03 AM

I'm not offended Bob, just slapping down someone from Englandshire that don't know the difference between a drink and a Superior Race :D :D :D

---John---