ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Why doesnt anybody experiment make their own (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/620870-why-doesnt-anybody-experiment-make-their-own.html)

The Rig 13 July 2007 08:22 PM

Why doesnt anybody experiment make their own

ive noticed with scoobynet, 90% of the users dont know anything from the ordinary.

everyone just buys pre made stuff,no one seems to use other parts from cars to make things work better etc etc

i dunno,other forums you can see what i mean,it seems everyone has no will and more money and just pays some1 to do it and joe bloggs is always in the dark

MrRA 13 July 2007 08:26 PM

Maybe because it's safer to go with parts that are specifically developed for your car and have been proven to work. Why waste your money trying to find out otherwise?

The Rig 13 July 2007 08:39 PM

to be different/have stuff no-one else has or get stuff done for 70% less than the rest.

twin engined nova always sticks in my mind.

TonyBurns 13 July 2007 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Rig (Post 7107795)
to be different/have stuff no-one else has or get stuff done for 70% less than the rest.

twin engined nova always sticks in my mind.

Not seen the twin engined nova, seen the twin VR6 engined Mk2 golf though ;)

Tony:)

The Rig 13 July 2007 08:44 PM

bet that went well !!
the nova had TWO R1 motorbike engines in it !!!!!

rks275 13 July 2007 09:10 PM

if you are refuring to Regal Autosports Nova "The Beast" it was running two calibra turbo motors (C20LET's)

im all for doing stuff out of the ordinary, but only if that would be cheeper/easier fitting than the tried and tested methods that give the same result.

whats the point in spending more money and taking more time, to achieve something that would be the same power output to a tried and tested method?

The Rig 13 July 2007 09:13 PM

nah,this was not a twin turbo engine nova,2 R1 lumps in it, he had a nightmare balancing them up tho !!

most things can be done cheaper,take fog light switches,everyone pays like £20 for them on ebay,when you can get them for £1 from a local scrappy etc etc.

or exhaust,a powerflow exhaust can sometimes be deisgned by the owener of th car to be better than stock ones for every impreza.

it just baffles me how impreza owners like spending money when they dont need to !

essex_jamie 13 July 2007 09:26 PM

simple reason is a nova's a a cheap car and if things turnt out wrong it ain't a big issure like lots of people put cossie engines in all sorts of Fords,

But what better Subaru engine are you going to put into an Subaru and what kind of power do you want just look at andy.f's car what ever you try doing to your scoob his will still p155 you

L33_WRX 13 July 2007 09:28 PM

I understand what your talking about - I think this comes with cetain classes of cars tho - when I owned a FTO and was on that owners club site loadsa one-off mods were going on that looked really professional (a few of my own actually).
I used to try loadsa mods on my fto that I wouldn't want to try on my scoob, plus some owners are forced to do things themselves, as mods are not readily available as much as they are for something like a scooby.

Spyd 13 July 2007 09:30 PM

Maybe because going custom equals £££££!

SVXNUT 13 July 2007 09:35 PM

Everyone thinks I'm nuts for planning to play with twin turbos in my SVX.

The Rig 13 July 2007 09:51 PM

Go for it SVX !!

im not going on about novas etc,just an example,like the fog lite switches/exhausts induction kits etc etc

also bonnet struts,£100 for ones desinged for scoobs,£10 for me as i got some 2nd hand leggie rear ones and made some brackets at work.

wish scoob owners would try more DIY stuff thats all and share

julian N/W wrx my93 13 July 2007 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Rig (Post 7107898)
it just baffles me how impreza owners like spending money when they dont need to !

Mr Lweis is going to love you!!!!

fbladerrv900 13 July 2007 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by julian N/W wrx my93 (Post 7108013)
Mr Lweis is going to love you!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

No not another one PLEASE !!!!

The Rig 13 July 2007 10:45 PM

nah,im not that bad !!!!

evil.soup 13 July 2007 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Rig (Post 7107740)
ive noticed with scoobynet, 90% of the users dont know anything from the ordinary.

everyone just buys pre made stuff,no one seems to use other parts from cars to make things work better etc etc

i dunno,other forums you can see what i mean,it seems everyone has no will and more money and just pays some1 to do it and joe bloggs is always in the dark

I do see your point, but what your talking about is private fabrication of aftermarket parts to fit the scoob. The truth is, many many companies have spent hundreds of thousands of pounds developing parts that work well.

I want a straight through replacement pipe for my cat but there isnt a chance in hell that im going to have a go of welding in a piece of drainpipe to save a few quid.

If i had a low cost 205 Gti for example, i would try to fabricate loads of parts to cheaply improve the car, but in this case there isnt a lot to lose is there.

A cheap scoob is about 3.5k and people just cant afford to throw that kind of money away!

rob2006 13 July 2007 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Rig (Post 7107985)
Go for it SVX !!

im not going on about novas etc,just an example,like the fog lite switches/exhausts induction kits etc etc

also bonnet struts,£100 for ones desinged for scoobs,£10 for me as i got some 2nd hand leggie rear ones and made some brackets at work.

wish scoob owners would try more DIY stuff thats all and share

have a look here.... this thread may interest you

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...fications.html

Rob

bootsy 13 July 2007 11:15 PM

i've been making my own bits/modds for my cars for ages.but i am a fabricator/welder by trade with a fully kitted out workshop to play in :thumb: i've mostly made slam panels,induction boxs/kits exhausts and strut braces.i've not done so much on the scoob i've got now.but i've got a 106 rallye with my own strut brace,induction kit and soon to have full stainless steel exhaust with decat and a sump guard :thumb:

Shark Man 13 July 2007 11:24 PM

Thr Rig's right...something I've been mentioning for years.

Whats the point in buying a WR blue impreza, and fitting gold wheels, rally graphics, a Blitz/HKS drainpipe tailpipe, and a silly boot spoiler and then say your trying to make the car individual (honestly - I have heard someone say that :lol1: )

How un-indiviual can you get?....the car would more indvidual (and tasteful) left as stock.

Buying stuff out of catalogues is not what modifying is all about. Plus most of the stuff in them is badly made overpriced tat imo.

Come on, where is the intiative these days? If you have ££££ to blow on body mods, don't copy it off another car or whatever is currently fashionable. :)

As for mechanical mods here's a suggestion: How about dumping that laggy turbo, and try a supercharger. Or how about squeezing 92mm pistons into a bored out 3.0 H6 making it a 3.2 and drop the CR so a pair of twin scrolls can be bolted on? :norty: