ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Just done for speeding by unmarked police car! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/620865-just-done-for-speeding-by-unmarked-police-car.html)

911 13 July 2007 08:07 PM

Just done for speeding by unmarked police car!

Not in my Impreza, but my old 911.

Now, I need some facts or where to go to find them.

I was speeding! Dual carriageway, national speed limit signs, so = 70mph.

How long must the police car be following you for at a constant distance to be able to garrentee the speeds?
Can I get proof after the event of the facts? He showed me the evidence on the screen in his car, so can i get a copy of the tracking? (and where from?)

He gave me a fixed fine of £60 and 3 points, and was reasonable in his attitude, but is his case thin or technically incorrect.
I think he had only 5 seconds at the same speed as me on the dual carriageway, and he had to run at 91 mph to get up behind me, I certainly was not going that fast.

All sensible advice welcome.

Graham.

jam10 13 July 2007 08:12 PM

speeding! Dual carriageway, national speed limit signs, so = 70mph
WRONG!!!! the national speed limit on Dual carriageway is 60mph.

i dont think you have a case m8, just take your punishment.

Prasius 13 July 2007 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by jam10 (Post 7107707)

Err.. national speed limit on single carriageway is 60mph...

On a dual with central reservation (which I think is the defining point) its 70mph..

Please see The Highway CodeThe Highway Code ;)

swampster 13 July 2007 08:15 PM

Err, the national speed limit on a Dual Carriageway with a central reservation is 70MPH, it's 60mph if its dual carriageway without central reservation!

stevey 13 July 2007 08:15 PM

no it isnt it's 70, 60 is a single lane

hux309 13 July 2007 08:16 PM

Wrong dual carriageway is 70mph it's when it becomes single it drops to 60mph, personally i would contest the charge, but before you decide on what to do im sure there is a site that can help you out in such matters

Someone on here will know what im on about

bugeyeandy 13 July 2007 08:16 PM

Don't think so - 70mph at national speed limit signs so long as there is a permanent centre divider.
Have to agree with the second comment though - take it like a man.

K9FAD 13 July 2007 08:19 PM

Speed

Last time i looked speed limit was 70 MPH on dual carraigeway
The police cars do not need to follow you at a constant speed, They set there computer going when you pass a piont and the agin when they pass the same point then further down the road do the same again. This gives the distance traveled and the time it took you to do this.
Bang to rights i think as long as he says you were doing over about 75??:nono: :nono:

Dr Who 13 July 2007 08:20 PM

Pay the £60 fine, take the 3 points and learn from it!

Paul&bon 13 July 2007 08:21 PM

:lol: WRONG!!!! The national speed limit is not 60mph on a duel carriageway its 70mph
60mph is the national speed limit on a single carriageway.
Check the highway code (carefully) I promise its there in black & white.

SteveScooby 13 July 2007 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by K9FAD (Post 7107728)
The police cars do not need to follow you at a constant speed, They set there computer going when you pass a piont and the agin when they pass the same point then further down the road do the same again. This gives the distance traveled and the time it took you to do this.
Bang to rights i think as long as he says you were doing over about 75??:nono: :nono:

Spot on, from a serving police officer :thumb:

swampster 13 July 2007 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Prasius
Err.. national speed limit on single carriageway is 60mph...

On a dual with central reservation (which I think is the defining point) its 70mph..

Please see The Highway CodeThe Highway Code ;)

Originally Posted by Me
Err, the national speed limit on a Dual Carriageway with a central reservation is 70MPH, it's 60mph if its dual carriageway without central reservation!

Originally Posted by stevey
no it isnt it's 70, 60 is a single lane

Originally Posted by hux309
Wrong dual carriageway is 70mph it's when it becomes single it drops to 60mph,

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Don't think so - 70mph at national speed limit signs so long as there is a permanent centre divider.

Originally Posted by K9FAD

Originally Posted by Paul&bon
WRONG!!!! The national speed limit is not 60mph on a duel carriageway its 70mph
60mph is the national speed limit on a single carriageway.
Check the highway code (carefully) I promise its there in black & white.

I guess that's him told then..lol :lol1:

Paul&bon 13 July 2007 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by swampster (Post 7107744)
I guess that's him told then..lol :lol1:

LOL:lol1:

Chelspeed 13 July 2007 08:26 PM

Dual carriageway means two carriageways, to get two carriageways there must be a central reservation, so definetely 70mph.

If he had it on a screen then sounds like VASCAR, a box on top of the dash with buttons and an old fashioned screen.

If it's VASCAR then he doesn't need to follow you at the same speed he just drives over the same route between two fixed points and punches start and finish times for himself and for you. So he can do 91mph over the route and take 10 secs and you can be doing 80mph and take 12 secs and you're still nicked.

If he's using a calibrated speedo then I think there need to be two in the car and they need to follow you for a certain time at a fixed distance between the cars, 1/4 mile rings a bell.

But there's enough arm chair lawyers on here who know nothing (see above for evidence, it's 60mph limit, no it's 70mph....). Go to the horses mouth Pepipoo, they know everything.

Borat_Drives_A_Scooby 13 July 2007 08:32 PM

If you got caught by the old bill in a 911 then i have no sympathy for you at all as you obviously can`t drive, you should have been able to out run them in one of those.

StuS 13 July 2007 08:45 PM

:lol1::lol:

angry1 13 July 2007 08:54 PM

:iamwithst :lol: :cry: what a numpty at least have the facts before you slag someone off then find its back fired LOL:cry: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

Dan W 13 July 2007 09:00 PM

If the copper thinks you were speeding and you also think you were speeding its a fair cop. I thought they give 10% of the speed plus 3mph so they dont nick people under 80. Maybe I'm wrong.

If I was nicked at 80 I would think it rather petty but would just accept it. Any faster then.....

60 quid and 3 points .... I'd be gutted but it could be worse.

I had a court appearance 90 quid fine (60 plus 30 costs) and 3 ppoints for pulling off through a red light at a confusing junction about a month after passing my test. No sympathy whatsoever from the copperJust a patronising put down.

One bad apple you could say as I have known plenty of friendlier coppers.

Brit_in_Japan 13 July 2007 09:02 PM

Oh dear Graham, you naughty boy racer you ;) :D

You won't really get any less penalty for speeding at a lesser speed, so unless you think you can challenge the reliability of the charge in it's entirety then I think you'll just have to accept it. The pepipoo site has a wealth of info if you want to challenge it so start looking there:-

PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice

So is the car running nicely for the weekend? :)

P.S. Will send you a PM again now I've cleared it out.

bluenose2007 13 July 2007 09:10 PM

dual carriage way is two lanes either way.

national limit is 70.............

looks like half of you need a driving test

andy97 13 July 2007 09:10 PM

Graham being stopped at the time, you will find it very difficult, if not impossible to defeat in court. Take your points this time.

swampster 13 July 2007 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dan W (Post 7107866)
If the copper thinks you were speeding and you also think you were speeding its a fair cop. I thought they give 10% of the speed plus 3mph so they dont nick people under 80. Maybe I'm wrong.

If I was nicked at 80 I would think it rather petty but would just accept it. Any faster then.....

60 quid and 3 points .... I'd be gutted but it could be worse.

I had a court appearance 90 quid fine (60 plus 30 costs) and 3 ppoints for pulling off through a red light at a confusing junction about a month after passing my test. No sympathy whatsoever from the copperJust a patronising put down.

One bad apple you could say as I have known plenty of friendlier coppers.

The 10% + 2mph rule is just a guideline used by the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) to allow for discrepancies in speedo accuracies. It isn't law! Theoretically (however unlikely) you can be done for doing 70.1mph on a motorway. Anyway, I'm not certain, but I don't think this guideline is a guideline any longer. I *think* they recently removed it!

Originally Posted by bluenose2007
dual carriage way is two lanes either way.

national limit is 70.............

looks like half of you need a driving test

Why when more than 3/4 of people pointed out it was 70 on a dual carriageway. Meaning opposing lanes with a central reservation. It is 60 MPH on a "dual carriageway" i.e 2 opposing lanes that doesn't have a central reservation, which if being a pedant isn't actually considered a dual carriageway..

National speed limit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Rig 13 July 2007 09:18 PM

dont think ive ever been on a carraigway thats been 1 lane,always been a dual carriageway

andyt1981 13 July 2007 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Rig (Post 7107907)
dont think ive ever been on a carraigway thats been 1 lane,always been a dual carriageway

a country lane is usually a 1 carrigeway road which is 60 ;)

essex_jamie 13 July 2007 09:23 PM

ah thats a bummer didnt they offer you a £60 fine and a advanced driving course

swampster 13 July 2007 09:25 PM

Just for the definition:

Originally Posted by The Government
"dual carriageway road" means a road which comprises a central reservation and "all-purpose dual carriageway road" means a dual carriageway road which is not a motorway;

:)

The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002

p1prodrive 13 July 2007 09:27 PM

unlucky graham, i would just keep pushing for calibration certificates blah, blah and see where it gets you ?

if you win bonus, if not then theres nothing lost.

matt

Mark A 13 July 2007 09:42 PM

Caught speeding!!!

"I feared for my life officer"
"Yes the offender chased me in an Evo, again"

I would have thought the longer he followed you the more accurate the reading. It is manual operation if its VASCAR, so surely they must follow you for a minimum distance?

Mark

SVXNUT 13 July 2007 09:43 PM

(a country lane is usually a 1 carrigeway road which is 60 ;)[/QUOTE]

Erm, my instructor told me a single carraigway with passing places is 50mph.
Go on shoot me if I'm wrong, but i think as all scooby owners know, a single carraigway B rd is as fast as you can see whats coming!!!!;) ;)

mgcvk 13 July 2007 09:51 PM

Quite surprising how many people ( in general not just here ) aren't aware that national limit of 70mph applies to dual carriageway. Lots of people think the national limit on country single carriageways is 50mph and are not aware it is 60mph - unless the signs say 50mph of course.