ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Right I got 13K to Spend Do I go for a P1 or an MY03/4 STI (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/620781-right-i-got-13k-to-spend-do-i-go-for-a-p1-or-an-my03-4-sti.html)

vash 13 July 2007 12:50 PM

Right I got 13K to Spend Do I go for a P1 or an MY03/4 STI

Hi

Im at a cross roads and i need you good people advice which way to turn.

I was one of the first to get an MY03 STI Type UK and I loved it, various reasons for me having get rid of her in March.. Now im going to get back into the scooby thing of things.

So if you were me which way would you go and why?

Many Thanks

Matt

The Chief 13 July 2007 01:04 PM

For better residules and being a bit exclusive - The P1

Better car and more tuneable - The STI

juggers 13 July 2007 01:12 PM

As the cheif said or you can try and hussle a jdm for that sort of money.How soon are you looking to buy?

V4JDMSTi 13 July 2007 01:16 PM

p1. better residuals by miles, they're aren't as many around, more of a drivers car, the newage cars were softened up compared to classics and imo the p1 is one of the best looking scoobies ever made. 22b being the best imo.

vash 13 July 2007 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by juggers (Post 7106807)
As the cheif said or you can try and hussle a jdm for that sort of money.How soon are you looking to buy?

Probably going to start looking next month.

Im only really looking to tune upto around 320BHP anyway..

Hmmm

Please keep the comments coming :)

Matt

T5NYW 13 July 2007 01:41 PM

The 04/05 JDM STi would be your best bet ;) and spec C possible better but is not a refined as a STi. but if your after a UK model then 04 WR1 or 05 STi's

IMHO

Tony

BTW my 06JDM just remapped for UK fuel etc was 327 BHP without any mods

GazTheHat 13 July 2007 01:43 PM

As good as the P1 seems to be, i couldn't spend that sort of money on a 10 year old car.

My money would be on an STi.

Most of them at that year have had the heaviest depreciation hit already.

Dan R 13 July 2007 01:45 PM

go for the newer car. the p1 may be a classic and hold its value but there unreliable. i know three people who have had them and they have all been left standard and have had at least 1 engine rebuild in there time of ownership. one lad was on his third engine!!!

Mikkel 13 July 2007 01:45 PM

I had a similar decision to make a few months back and went for the new age based on the fact I intend to keep it a while, so residuals weren't really a primary concern, and I wanted all the mod cons you come to expect in a car less than a few years old.

Basically, it depends what you want it for... if you are a collector or a very occasional driver then perhaps the more exclusive but dated P1 (or 22B if you are lucky) but if you want a day to day car as a performance/tuner car as well then I would go new age.

bugsti 13 July 2007 01:49 PM

Depreciation will not be an issue as the STi will have already taken the hit.

The PI is getting old now and, in my view, the STi is a better bet with decent brakes etc.

James Neill 13 July 2007 01:51 PM

Get the STi 5 Type R in the for sale section. There must be less of those in the country than P1s !

You'll have plenty left over as well.

Cyberevo 13 July 2007 01:57 PM

I Was in the same boat a few weeks ago, and got myself a very nice MY00 RA Limited... very nice and rare too.

Flaps 13 July 2007 01:58 PM

There's a P1 on AutoTrader for just under £10k if you are interested (not anything to do with me, I just noticed it at lunch).

pippyrips 13 July 2007 02:16 PM

JDM STI /spec C everytime

EddScott 13 July 2007 02:26 PM

I haven't quite got that budget and have been looking at P1 or bugeye STIs - I tend to like them more than blobs for some reason. Plus with blobs I'd only want one after DCCD-A and UK car for insurance purposes - I know JDM considered a better car. I would love a JDM Prodrive Style Bugeye as they were Spec C based.

Anyway, I also have a GF and 6 year old daughter to think of and losing 2 doors would be a PITA. Plus as mentioned, P1s are getting on a bit and really should start to be looked at as weekenders/summer cars - thats how I use my classic now. I need something that will last me another 5 years (had the classic 4)

I'll miss my classic but I think you'll get more car for your money with a newage - plus don't bugger with it and it will hold its value - just as un-buggered classics are doing now.

sandyRS16i 13 July 2007 05:19 PM

STi is more refined than the P1, but wont hold value as well, but your gonna get a newer car......for power, id suggest a Type R (prob better than a P1 and cheaper IMO) then tune it with the remainder of the budget

Borat_Drives_A_Scooby 13 July 2007 05:24 PM

No offence but for that sort of money i would NOT be looking at a 10 year old car, it would be an 03/04 Sti for me.

If you want to throw constant money at keeping a 10 year old car on the road then fair enough but treating rust, wearing old parts, maintenance on an old engine and ancilleries is not my cuppa.

The new age Sti`s are smart both inside and out and they are a far more tuneable car than the old P1, its a no brainer for me.

aggs 13 July 2007 05:25 PM

If you need 4 doors your question is answered.

I went for P1 a few months back never regretted it.

Ownership is much more of an experience, both driving and meeting other people.
I loved my old classic , but prefer the P1, only problem is you tend to worry about parking it anywhere and someone dinging it.