ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Tin Tin is a racist (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/620534-tin-tin-is-a-racist.html)

Prince Popeye 12 July 2007 02:43 PM

Tin Tin is a racist

Tintin Book Embroiled In Race Row - Yahoo! News UK

let the games commence :lol1:

TelBoy 12 July 2007 02:47 PM

Let's be honest, some of those steroetypes ARE out of order. Changing times, changing world, changing attitudes.

PeteBrant 12 July 2007 02:50 PM

I think Borders have probably done the right thing in keeping it available for sale in the Adult section. It was written in a time where the image of a Black African person was vastly different to what it is today. I don't think the actual book iteself is inherently racist, in as much as ther eis not any intention there. However, it is obviously somewhat, shall we say "outdated" in it's approach and not sure it is ideal reading material for kids.

Having said all this, I wonder if all publications depicting the English as stuttering, upper crust toffs are now going to be removed from sale, along with the immediate destruction of Hugh Grant :)

wrx-kris 12 July 2007 02:51 PM

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f.../laughing1.gif

kingofturds 12 July 2007 02:55 PM

"Certain scenes in Tintin in the Congo, including one in which the hero gave a geography lesson to Africans about Belgium was later changed to a maths class, after being deemed offensive":confused:

PeteBrant 12 July 2007 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 7103814)
"Certain scenes in Tintin in the Congo, including one in which the hero gave a geography lesson to Africans about Belgium was later changed to a maths class, after being deemed offensive":confused:

Well, let's face it, what isn't offensive about Belgium?

DCI Gene Hunt 12 July 2007 02:57 PM

the 'savage natives' look like monkeys and talk like imbeciles......
In that case should we also ban......

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/8129/wrgb2.png

;)

Markus 12 July 2007 03:17 PM

Thankfully there has been some sense in the issue and the book has not been banned, simply moved to an adult oriented section. Granted some of the narrative will be seen as woefully racist in these ever so enlightened and polictically correct times that we live in, however, if it's in a adult section it won't offend the poor vunerable children, and I'm sure an adult can decide for themselves what they consider racist or not.

Banning the book outright would be a foolish move, as would editing it to make it polictically correct. I am aware the author, before his death, had changed some of the novels he'd written, and did regret some of what remained, however, that is acceptable as he'd make the editing decision, and had decided what it should be replaced with, who knows what would be put in it's place now, it could well confuse or destroy the plot.
I know it's a kids book, but imagine if the same thing was done to other books that could be considered racist.

Maybe the descriptions of the natives should be updated to modern times, in which case would they be described as a bunch of 419'ers (I know it's mainly Nigerian, but there have been a fair few from the Congo too) :D

hutton_d 12 July 2007 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7103793)
.... I don't think the actual book iteself is inherently racist, in as much as ther eis not any intention there. However, it is obviously somewhat, shall we say "outdated" in it's approach and not sure it is ideal reading material for kids.

I'm sure it is. It'll be on the reading list for my lad - only 3 now but won't be long before he can read ....

Dave

PS: agree with Hugh Grant BTW

lozgti 12 July 2007 03:27 PM

I grew up on Tin Tin and Asterix the Gaul.Loved that kind of stuff.Biggles as well.

Didn't give me a deep seated hatred or general impression that all Germans looked big ,fat and were crappier pilots.

I think I worry more about the absolute junk schools peddle as 'literature'.No wonder kids aren't quite the full shilling nowadays

Thought this was going to be about his 'whitey' dog 'Snowy' or something.Pathetic:cuckoo: Never gave two hoots about the political side to Tin Tin either.Was just a good adventure book.

Famous Five next.... 'Lashings of ginger beer' ,far too sexual

PeteBrant 12 July 2007 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 7103884)
I'm sure it is. It'll be on the reading list for my lad - only 3 now but won't be long before he can read ....

Maybe you're right. I don't suppose it would do any harm, it's not as if he is going to grow up thinking of Black people as "monkeys".

As a parent you have the ability to make that decision, but I think Borders had to be seen to be doing something, given the complaint from the customer and the subsequent complaint from the CRE.

bugsti 12 July 2007 03:50 PM

More PC nonsense.

myblackwrx 12 July 2007 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7103819)
Well, let's face it, what isn't offensive about Belgium?

:lol1:

myblackwrx 12 July 2007 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 7103825)
In that case should we also ban......

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/8129/wrgb2.png

;)

:lol1:

The Snug Rhino 12 July 2007 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 7103884)

Dave

PS: agree with Hugh Grant BTW

Odd choice.....even the author stated that he "portrayed the naive views of the time". Why would anyone bother getting a youngster to read something that most (even the author!) feel is so outdated? Are there not enough kids books around today? I have 4 kids and none would have a clue who tintin was - they still seem to have found plenty to read though.