ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Scratches on front windows (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/619539-scratches-on-front-windows.html)

Phildodd06 08 July 2007 06:17 PM

Scratches on front windows

After giving my car a good clean i have noticed scratch marks on both the passenger side window and the drivers side window

Now it looks like they have came from, the the window going up and down, is this a commen fault on these cars? or is it something that can be fixed?

The scratch marks are on the outside of the window btw

clintyboy12 08 July 2007 06:21 PM

Is it a classic? I have had 2 classics and same problem on both cars. Had my first one from new (MY00) and yes it is to do with it catching something on the runners on the way up and down. I heard on here some people saying they took it back to the dealers and had it remedied under warranty but that's no longer possible on a classic :Whatever_

julian N/W wrx my93 08 July 2007 06:24 PM

it's a classic feature.............

D.K.1 08 July 2007 06:26 PM

My ex has a classic and both his front windows had the same too :)

Phildodd06 08 July 2007 07:03 PM

Yes its a classic
Supose i gotta put up with it thn!!

I want to get my front windows tinted to match the rears, would this help hide the scratch marks?

Is there anything i can do to cover up the scratches, some sort of cutting paste/polish maybe?

D1CCY 10 July 2007 09:26 AM

Got same scratches on my 03STi. Particularly drivers window as this gets used the most.

92typeRA 10 July 2007 10:32 AM

go to your local jewelers and get some off the stuff thay use for takeing scratches off the faces of watches :thumb: (canny remember wat its called)

TimH 10 July 2007 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by 92typeRA (Post 7096419)
go to your local jewelers and get some off the stuff thay use for takeing scratches off the faces of watches :thumb: (canny remember wat its called)

Jewellers Rouge.

Wurzel 10 July 2007 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by julian N/W wrx my93 (Post 7091523)
it's a classic feature.............

Snot a feature on my classic :(

V4JDMSTi 10 July 2007 03:00 PM

take the door pannel off and clean the brushes on the runners. they get covered in grime and go hard. this is what causes the scratches. then get some toothpaste and gently rub over the scratches. had the same problem when i got my classic. i asked the same question in the car care section and this was the solution :thumb:

Phildodd06 10 July 2007 05:43 PM

So basically clean the brushes and thn rub toothpaste on the scratches, how does the toothpaste take the scratches off??

Think im gonna make a thread in the car care section...

Cheers guys!

V4JDMSTi 10 July 2007 05:47 PM

the toothpaste is abraisive, very abraisive. it'll polish the scratches out. see the thread that i started a while back:

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...hes-glass.html

Alan MaC 10 July 2007 08:57 PM

Go onto E Bay, Watch Face Scratch removers.

Like the folk on SN say, it's a paste that Jewllers use to polish out scratches on Watch faces.

A bit of patience & perseverence required, if you do, it will come out eventually.

My pal got his off his SAAB.

Good luck.

Alan MaC

Phildodd06 10 July 2007 11:41 PM

Ok bud cheers :)

Phildodd06 15 July 2007 12:05 AM

Right, iv had the door cards off, i can see the 2 brushes that are causing the scratches, how do i remove these and clean them?

I tryed to get them out, but seemed quite hard to do...

Also whats best to clean them with? or would it be cheap to just buy new 1's?

v8voodoo 15 July 2007 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by mneame (Post 7097607)
the toothpaste is abraisive, very abraisive. it'll polish the scratches out. see the thread that i started a while back:

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...hes-glass.html

Glad you got it sorted mneame... ;)

pippyrips 15 July 2007 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Alan MaC (Post 7098317)
Go onto E Bay, Watch Face Scratch removers.

Like the folk on SN say, it's a paste that Jewllers use to polish out scratches on Watch faces.

A bit of patience & perseverence required, if you do, it will come out eventually.

My pal got his off his SAAB.

Good luck.

Alan MaC

using a porter cable with speed the process up:)

Alan MaC 15 July 2007 11:32 AM

Go on then.

What's a portecable??

Regards

Alan MaC

Rasher 15 July 2007 12:11 PM

a random orbital machine polisher mate:)

Phildodd06 15 July 2007 05:57 PM

Am i wrong in thinking, applying pressure will scratch the glass even more??

Phildodd06 17 July 2007 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Phildodd06 (Post 7110433)
Right, iv had the door cards off, i can see the 2 brushes that are causing the scratches, how do i remove these and clean them?

I tryed to get them out, but seemed quite hard to do...

Also whats best to clean them with? or would it be cheap to just buy new 1's?

Really need to get these brushes done as im waiting on getting my windows tinted, dont wanna be messing around with them after they have been done!!

White-Un 18 July 2007 12:52 AM

First put the windows down, then take door trim off, then you should see two 10 mm (i think there 10mm:wonder: ) bolts, undo them and take the little brackets off (they have brushes on them too) now the window should pull towards you and then you can un clip the outer brushes ( the ones that scratch windows) off the door. Just give em a good scrub.

Its easy mate, I did mine couple weeks back , once your've take door cards off you'll see what I mean.

Don't forget to put window down makes it easier.
Hope this helps :thumb:

Phildodd06 18 July 2007 08:28 AM

Cheers bud, ill have a bash over the next few days when i get chance to (Among other things im doing to it!!!!
Will keep you posted!

minty 18 July 2007 09:11 AM

The tints will highlite the scratches unfortunatly as i didnt realise mine were so bad until i got tints, now i think i need some of the polish, thats for sure!! Chris.