ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   skype (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/616692-skype.html)

j4ckos mate 27 June 2007 10:32 AM

has anyone used it, or got any views on it,
my wifes friend installed it on my pc so she can ring her from egypt

boxst 27 June 2007 10:40 AM

I used Skype a while ago and it is okay and better than phone charges to Egypt. The quality varies and is often 'Dalek like'. Skype does not interface (for free) with other VoIP providers.

I also use Gizmo – A free phone for your computer as I have to participate in lots of American conference calls with 1-800 numbers and it allows calling of other VoIP providers for free (not Skype).

Steve

Simon C 27 June 2007 10:44 AM

computer to computer voip is free.

I use it and its brilliant, use bluetooth so I'm not tied to the desk as well.

Imagine MSN but with speach instead.

boxst 27 June 2007 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Simon C (Post 7056842)
computer to computer voip is free.

Only other Skype users though. Other VoIP providers let you call VoIP users on other 'networks'.

Steve

CrisPDuk 27 June 2007 11:05 AM

We use it all the time here at work, especially the chat function:thumb:
It saves confusion because most of the Thais we deal with can read and write English to a much better standard than they can speak it:)

MrsD installed it on her computer at home and we can generally have a much clearer conversation than over the phone

Only problem with it, despite my specific instructions not to, my belovedgave my Skype details to my fcuking idiot mother:rolleyes: So I have to put up with her incessant jabbering too:mad:

wolfie28 27 June 2007 11:15 AM

I used skype when the mrs was away in Bosnia. Very cheap and on the whole very good but sometimes it would cut off numerous times which was annoying :mad:.

Wolfie.

matchmaker 27 June 2007 11:15 AM

We use it at work to keep in touch with our boss in Tunisia. Pretty good especially as it costs us zilch.

The Chief 27 June 2007 11:22 AM

been using it for over twelve months now - reception was p*** poor at first now its improved dramatically - like others have said Skype to Skype is bugger all

j4ckos mate 27 June 2007 11:33 AM

how does it actullay work though

Spoon 27 June 2007 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Simon C (Post 7056842)
Imagine MSN but with speech instead.

:confused: No sound??

I have used Skype but in this scenario I'd much prefer to use MSN messenger with camera to get sound and pictures of a better quality. Plus it's always free.

gpssti4 27 June 2007 11:45 AM

It's Voice Over Internet Protocol.

When you speak into the mic/phone, the computer changes this from an anologue to digital signal. Then this is transfered to over the internet in much the same way as other information. it will then be decoded at the other end back to analogue.

I've used Tesco VOIP phone and it's okay. I'm now using Orange as my broadband provider and I get free VOIP calls to national and international numbers (including international mobiles, but not including national mobiles :freak3: )

Once insatalled it can be quite good. With Tesco's you even get to choose your dialing code, so living in Bucks I chose Aberdeen! :thumb:

Works okay for me. :D

Sosbanite 27 June 2007 11:49 AM

Another thumbs up for Skype here :thumb:

I work from an office in Maidenhead and travel globally for a company based in California so it's used all the time instead of normal phones. The cost savings are obvious over mobile/landline calls and call quality in areas with established broadband networks is indistinguishable from old fashioned telephony.
The only time I have problems is in places like Indonesia where 'tinternet' is still in it's infancy and bandwidth is sometimes limited outside of major cities. Then I will just use the chat function instead of calling.
Skype in/out is useful too but can be fickle sometimes dropping calls or failing to connect.
The ability to attach a file (image, spreadsheet etc) to the chat is also useful when troubleshooting or discussing projects.

HTH.

ChefDude 27 June 2007 11:50 AM

great for messaging, but resource unfriendly - sits high in the cpu list.

Spoon 27 June 2007 11:51 AM

Do Scottish PC's have a CPU Jimmy?

windyboy 27 June 2007 12:17 PM

I've just brought WindyDaughter's pc down to my pad and hooked her up to my broadband so now I must get her onto Skype so she can talk to her granny in Bristol and Aunty in New Zealand.

Windyboy.

JackClark 27 June 2007 12:27 PM

1p per minute to US mobiles, pretty good. Calling Spain is bloody expensive though.

*LPSKI1* 27 June 2007 12:32 PM

I've used it a few times and find it beneficial albeit as said above, Darlek like at times :D

JackClark 27 June 2007 12:44 PM

Make sure you have the latest version, it's a big leap forwards.

gso 27 June 2007 05:07 PM

There is Call Free | Free Call!

Not tried it fully yet but you can make a free call from the home page without installing any software! :cool: Can call landlines over the world for free and the rest faily cheap i believe!

gso 27 June 2007 05:10 PM

Argentina free*
Australia free*
Austria free*
Belgium free*
Canada free*
Czech Republic free*
Denmark free*
France free*
Germany free*
Hong Kong (+mobile) free*
Hungary free*