ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Up Pipe (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/615109-up-pipe.html)

james-wrx 20 June 2007 07:17 PM

Up Pipe

The time has come to remove the heatshield it's too much i cant take the pain of the rattling enymore !
Any advice or tips for me, having not done this before not sure where to sart ??
Thanks

Butty 20 June 2007 07:24 PM

I did it the blunt way with a cold chisel and lump hammer on the spot welds and a long screwdriver to prise the shields off.

Or do you mean how to get the up-pipe off so it can be butchered?

Firstly what car is this coming off? If its the catted up-pipe from a newage WRX then things are a little more tricky.

nick

james-wrx 20 June 2007 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Butty (Post 7038960)
I did it the blunt way with a cold chisel and lump hammer on the spot welds and a long screwdriver to prise the shields off.

Or do you mean how to get the up-pipe off so it can be butchered?

Firstly what car is this coming off? If its the catted up-pipe from a newage WRX then things are a little more tricky.

nick

Hi Nick it's a classic with no cat's anywhere !
4inch APS exhaust, i cant see how to get the heatshield off it slides up and down the up pipe a bit but i cant figure out how to get the bloody thing off !

Welloilbeefhooked 20 June 2007 07:49 PM

James,

Assuming the up pipe is off the car then the best way is to use an angle grinder with a cutting disc.

james-wrx 20 June 2007 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked (Post 7039046)
James,

Assuming the up pipe is off the car then the best way is to use an angle grinder with a cutting disc.

The whole thing is still attached mate hence the dilemma!

Welloilbeefhooked 21 June 2007 01:04 PM

Remove it then!! LOL

I seriously would remove it first.

IC off, Downpipe off and then you can gently lift the turbo off or take the headers off. Not nice but I can't see how you can do it otherwise.

robsw 21 June 2007 01:40 PM

Once you have removed the downpipe you can then get at all the nuts around the turbo that hold the up-pipe to it. Remove headers, then undo the o/s bottom engine mount, and jack the engine up about an inch or so to give clearance for the up-pipe - hey presto. Sounds harder than it is.

GrimmSpeed 21 June 2007 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked (Post 7039046)
James,

this is the best option for taking off the heatshields.

Justin
Commercial web address removed

Welloilbeefhooked 21 June 2007 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed (Post 7041478)
this is the best option for taking off the heatshields.

Justin
**:p**

Me thinks the mods may remove your link. Nice site though.

james-wrx 21 June 2007 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked (Post 7042357)
Me thinks the mods may remove your link. Nice site though.

Thanks guys lots of different solutions :freak3:
Now im really confused might try the butchering route first hammer and chisel me thinks!

Butty 21 June 2007 09:09 PM

:thumb: its the most satisfying way.
Just chisel down the line of the shield through the weld.

ticky 21 June 2007 10:15 PM

I am not sure how your going to chisel it when its still on the car. Its not that easy to get to in the 1st place & your more likely to damage the up-pipe in the process.

I would follow robsw: leave the turbo in position & remove the up-pipe from underneath. You can then take your time removing the shield. I suppose a mild port & wrap to finish it off before re-fitting.

Have you checked the heat shields on the headers are not the cause of the rattling. The up-pipe & cross pipe heat shield is generally not that bad?

Ticky

james-wrx 22 June 2007 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ticky (Post 7042905)
I am not sure how your going to chisel it when its still on the car. Its not that easy to get to in the 1st place & your more likely to damage the up-pipe in the process.

I would follow robsw: leave the turbo in position & remove the up-pipe from underneath. You can then take your time removing the shield. I suppose a mild port & wrap to finish it off before re-fitting.

Have you checked the heat shields on the headers are not the cause of the rattling. The up-pipe & cross pipe heat shield is generally not that bad?

Ticky

Thanks for all the help guys, it's defo the up-pipe can get hold of it and wiggle it about!