ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Henley Regatta?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/615027-henley-regatta.html)

Robert Rosario 20 June 2007 01:41 PM

Henley Regatta??

Corporate invite has arrived on my desk for this in a couple of weeks time.

I am in no way connected with rowing, it is a four hour drive from where I live, and although there is a free bar and I can stay overnight, is it full of pretentious nobs in straw hats talking about boats?

Have heard there is an abundance of eye candy, and a colleagues who went last year said it was "a laugh" but as his social highlight is his weekly trip to the chinese, I dont really trust his opinion.

Anybody been?

Matteeboy 20 June 2007 01:55 PM

Been to Henley but not the Regatta.

Very pretty place chock full of posh birds and flash motors.

Worth the trip - I reckon.

OllyK 20 June 2007 01:57 PM

What have you got to lose by going?

BlkKnight 20 June 2007 02:00 PM

I wouldn't bother if its a 4 hour drive.

Usually lost lots of pissed up toffs & teenagers.

Henley is well worth the visit out of regatta time

Paulo P 20 June 2007 02:52 PM

I wouldn't go either and I live 15 minutes away :lol1: It's full of drunk idiots in suits looking for fights with the real posh people :rolleyes:

It was the same at the Marlow regatta last weekend :(

Wurzel 20 June 2007 03:00 PM

snot the same since they scraped the fair ground down by the rowing club!

I remember a mahoooosive haystack fire there one year :D probably why they banned the fair :D

Markus 20 June 2007 03:07 PM

Henley is a nice place to visit apart from when the Regatta is on. As others have said, pished up toffs, with the females snorting and guffawing like horses, and the males looking down their noses at you, as if you have dropped out of a dogs bum isn't my idea of how to spend a day or two.

Not all of them are like that though and the ones that are not really do abhore the oiks. I recall one of my friends colleagues, who lived locally, going over to one of the oiks and asking him and his friends to stop shouting and swearing only to be told "Fak off you pleb". Didn't look so clever when the chappy pushed him into the river :D

The Snug Rhino 20 June 2007 04:40 PM

dont bother - i own a business in Henley and we pretty much stop while the Regatta is on....dont go near the place till its all over.

what would scooby do 20 June 2007 04:48 PM

Whitby regatta is better ;)

Markus 20 June 2007 04:55 PM

Pah, Levels Regatta is far better, though it's a bit far to travel. Not so many stuck up pillocks either, even better if you're on a boat, be it docked or actually racing.

Jerome 20 June 2007 05:37 PM

I'm going to the Regatta for the second year running and I ain't posh. :)

There are plenty of posh people there, but everyone I met last year was very friendly. Most people are only vaguely aware that there is some sort of mucking around in boats going on and are just there to have a great time.

Totty ratio was very acceptable. :D

For the record I'm going to Remenham Farm.

POC 20 June 2007 06:26 PM

I'm going this year, I shall bring the tone down a little ;) :D

rgv_stu 21 June 2007 01:15 PM

im supposed to be going as the girlfriend is a rower and wants to go to watch