ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   20g and fmic on wrx? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/612532-20g-and-fmic-on-wrx.html)

Henrik 10 June 2007 07:24 PM

20g and fmic on wrx?

Can anyone comment on how a td05-20g + fmic combo would work on a (2003) uk wrx?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to go for an sti8 tmic (they seem to be like hens teeth at the moment anyway) or a fmic, but I'm quite worried about surge issues with the 20g and a fmic. Having said that, I'd like the fmic so that I can track the car without worrying etc and also as I live on the London borders there's a lot of sitting around in traffic etc, and I'm a bit worried about heat soak (is this fear unjustified)?

The FMIC, if I was to get one, would probably be an Autobahn88.

scoobyDAZZA 10 June 2007 08:21 PM

would work fine
i have the 88 FM and its fine, running over 450 bhp in mine

maybe a bit laggy on a 2 litre with the 20g but it will give a good kick , consider an MD321H as well from Lateral Performance , 400+ with less lag
you may have to change injectors for 550s or 740s as well

obviously make sure you get it mapped as well

stevebt 10 June 2007 08:40 PM

i had a car with an sti8 tmic and 20g and fmic with 20g !! i preferred the TMIC ;)

Henrik 10 June 2007 08:56 PM

scoobyDazza:

got the fueling etc sorted :) Already got the 20g as well, supplied by Andy. I know it's a tiny bit too big, but should work alright until I get the 2.5 sorted ;)

stevebt:

Did you have any surge issues with the FMIC? I really want something to potentially keep my inlet temps down as much as possible as I *really* don't want any knocking at all with a stock WRX bottom end (not that you'd want that on any bottom end, of course).

stevebt 10 June 2007 09:18 PM

i did have a maf fault and it caused high knock on the TMIC (86 on the comander)but with the FMIC (26 on the comander same maf ) it was pretty small !! but i did gain 600rpm of lag and when i was on a 7000rpm rev limit on a stock uk bottom end that was pretty bad :(

Henrik 10 June 2007 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 7006109)
i did have a maf fault and it caused high knock on the TMIC (86 on the comander)but with the FMIC (26 on the comander same maf ) it was pretty small !! but i did gain 600rpm of lag and when i was on a 7000rpm rev limit on a stock uk bottom end that was pretty bad :(

Oh deary me, when did it spool with the FMIC? :S

stevebt 10 June 2007 09:27 PM

tmic was fecking mint 1.5 bar by 3300rpm but with the FMIC it was closer to 4000rpm that was with an HKS fmic !!

andythejock01wrx 10 June 2007 10:20 PM

Did any of you guys have to change the gearbox ?

Henrik 11 June 2007 10:26 AM

anyone got any experience of surge with 20g + fmic?

stevebt 11 June 2007 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx (Post 7006393)
Did any of you guys have to change the gearbox ?

i did end up changing it as it broke :( i had no surge with the 20g as mine had a ported inlet and i used an aftermarket inlet pipe

scoobyDAZZA 12 June 2007 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=Henrik;7006037]scoobyDazza:

got the fueling etc sorted :) Already got the 20g as well, supplied by Andy. I know it's a tiny bit too big, but should work alright until I get the 2.5 sorted ;)

QUOTE]

no doubt it will work , this was everyones favourite route TBH a year ago . the md321t became more popular and everyone wanted 450 bhp then :)
like me .
my original plan was the 20g

you'll have no worries if Andy is looking after you anyway :thumb:

Henrik 12 June 2007 09:39 PM

I'm daarn saaf, unfortunately, so someone else will do the mapping, but I'm sure they'll be as capable :)

The 321 would have been nice, but a bit out of my budget unfortunately (or well, what was my budget back then... It's *so* annoying how my spend on this project just keeps increasing all the time...)

Andy.F 13 June 2007 11:00 PM

I'd recommend sticking with the Sti 7/8 intercooler, its a very capable unit.
I'm currently running just under 500bhp on one on the spec C.

If you do go FMIC then save up for a decent one such as the Lateral/APS/Hyperflow units. Some of the new age stuff on the market will only cause pain for little or no gain.

Andy

scoobyDAZZA 14 June 2007 03:49 PM

go to pavlo (ZEN) . Pat Herborn , JGM(jolly green monster) or Bob Rawle (swindon) for your map then
mind you, Andy does cover alot of the UK

Henrik 14 June 2007 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Andy.F (Post 7018643)
I'd recommend sticking with the Sti 7/8 intercooler, its a very capable unit.
I'm currently running just under 500bhp on one on the spec C.

If you do go FMIC then save up for a decent one such as the Lateral/APS/Hyperflow units. Some of the new age stuff on the market will only cause pain for little or no gain.

Andy

Oh bollocks, I'm too trigger happy as usual :)

Went with the AB88 one and will fit it in the weekend, hopefully...

What is it they say? Buy cheap, buy twice?

If it doesn't perform well, I'll replace it, but it seems to work well for some people, so fingers crossed.

silent running 14 June 2007 07:24 PM

It's a good unit for the money. I've got surge problems on mine but it's the big bore silicone inlet pipe that's suspected to cause this. With the v4 STi TMIC and an induction kit on it was fine; as soon as the FMIC went on it surges. I am about to change back to the original inlet pipe and I will see how it goes. I'm certain it's the cause.