ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   New to scoobys and need help. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/611822-new-to-scoobys-and-need-help.html)

Adam86 07 June 2007 07:58 PM

New to scoobys and need help.

I’m coming up to 21 and looking at the Accord Type R, Mr2 Turbo and the Impreza. Will only have 4-5K to spend so looking at the normal Turbo 2000.

Just after some information like any changes made throughout the years?
Reliability of older models and how is it affected when played with?
Various stages of tune and at what cost with exspected increase in power?
Effect on driveability when played with?

Any other usful information and what to look for and what to avoid will be much appreciated.

The Dogs B******s 07 June 2007 09:15 PM

Im sh*te will all the technical info but at 21 when i passed my test i could only dream of owning an Impreza,so if i were you and had the chance of getting one id jump at the chance.

richiewong 07 June 2007 09:18 PM

Some basic info: Subaru Impreza FAQ

chocolate_o_brian 07 June 2007 11:17 PM

probaly best to look around, see what sort of price you would pay for a scoob insurance wise first. uk scoobs may "only" be ins. group 17, but they are currently a more than average desirable to be nicked, so that hikes up premuims.

try the for sale section on here. autotrader, pistonheads... maybe even ebay at a stretch.

for 4-5k you would get a decent later uk classic maybe around 98-2000 depending on mileage and body condition.

always ask plenty of questions to potential sellers, and if your not particular;y mechanical minded, take a mate who is!!! too many dogs out there. find a good un', and youll be friends for life:)

andy:thumb:

Tidgy 07 June 2007 11:22 PM

4-5k will prob be what your insurance is at 21

MarkGray 07 June 2007 11:23 PM

Im 20 with 2years NCB and i pay just over 2k on insurance. So yours im guessing will be bit less if you have the NCB at hand.

But imo, it is well worth the £££ but then again i dont have anything else to spend my money on :cool:

chocolate_o_brian 07 June 2007 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 6997469)
4-5k will prob be what your insurance is at 21

slight exaggeration tidg? im 22 and mine is well under £2k, and thats without any ncb and little driving experience. fully comp too.

Midlife...... 07 June 2007 11:25 PM

I had an MR2 before my Scooby ...........a very class act as long as it was dry :D

Shaun

Jenniferc 08 June 2007 12:02 AM

Hiya Adam86 I drive an Impreza Turbo 2000, my advice is not to just buy the first vehicle you find, it took me about a year to a year and a half to find mine and that was going to auctions at Southampton and other places, looking on Auto Trader, Exchange and Mart, Web Sites etc. I looked at many many before I settled for the vehicle I have now and I love it. It helps if you have family/friends who know about engines etc (obviously). It is fun looking. Good Luck.