ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   LIGHTENED PULLEYS (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/611708-lightened-pulleys.html)

daniel p smith 07 June 2007 02:01 PM

LIGHTENED PULLEYS

hi just wondering do these really add performance and better throttle response or are they really just to look good which they do thanks in advance:thumb:

VTR Bondy 07 June 2007 02:06 PM

i was chattin about this on another forum and apparently it adds upto 10 BHP ish, Don't quote me on that but its what i heard.

MazingerZ 07 June 2007 02:22 PM

more like 2BHP, all you are going to feel is less resistance to accelerate

VTR Bondy 07 June 2007 02:23 PM

Take Mazingers specs cos my info was third hand.

GazTheHat 07 June 2007 02:27 PM

And how much do they usually cost?

daniel p smith 07 June 2007 02:38 PM

thanks for the replies i think i might get some cause they look good i have seen them for sale on scoobyclinic website for 185 plus vat for a set no idea if this is good or not:thumb:

V4JDMSTi 07 June 2007 02:48 PM

one of the authorised sellers on here does them - cdf racing. have a look at those as well.

daniel p smith 07 June 2007 02:51 PM

thanks for that i will have look:thumb:

RedScoob 07 June 2007 04:44 PM

I'd imagine you'll benefit most if you add a lightened flywheel too, it's bound to have a bit more of a marked effect than a couple of kilos on the pulleys. Oooo, thinking about it, does removing the AC pump and Power steering have the same effect?

VTR Bondy 07 June 2007 05:25 PM

I've heard(again) if you do both the flywheel and the pulleys the car becomes over responsive and is a bit off a pig to drive normally.

Dill_typeR 07 June 2007 05:35 PM

I have lighter pulleys and although it isn't noticeably more responsive, reducing rotating mass must make a difference.

The standard pulley has a rubber insert though, maybe for some sort of damping? So i don't know what effect not having this on a lighweight alloy part.

cdfracing 07 June 2007 05:52 PM

Lightweight pulleys may not add to your dyno print out but they will give you a guaranteed better throttle responce,

The stock crank pulley weighs 2500 grams (2.5kilos) our crank pulleys weigh 550 grams! , we have also finished making underdrive pulleys that will use the same belt as standard and will still run the alternator enough to keep the battery charged ,

all pulleys are in stock for all different models and a choice of seven different colours,

If your after any drop us a pm and i'll give you a better deal the the website price's :thumb:

Cheers chris

tom1234 07 June 2007 06:51 PM

if you use a pulley without the rubber damper it can damage the crankshaft, or so i have heard

wrc350+ 07 June 2007 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by VTR Bondy (Post 6995795)
I've heard(again) if you do both the flywheel and the pulleys the car becomes over responsive and is a bit off a pig to drive normally.

mines not

turboDean 07 June 2007 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by VTR Bondy (Post 6995795)

Hope not, coz i've got a 5.75kg Exedy flywheel and have just ordered a full set of pulleys of CDF Racing

cdfracing 07 June 2007 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by tom1234 (Post 6996096)
if you use a pulley without the rubber damper it can damage the crankshaft, or so i have heard

Sorry but that is hearsay...

The harmonic damper in the stock pulley is used to stop bad vibrations through to the crankshaft that is true ...

Replacing the pulleys with lightweight one's will not cause these vibrations unless you are running 1000+ Bhp then you would require a damper part installed into the new pulley,
If you ask Welcome to Unorthodox Racing, Inc. in the States which are a multi milion dollar company they will tell you pretty much the same thing, and I don't they would risk there name by not installing them ,

We have made/sold over 200 of these pulleys kits without any problems ... we also wouldn't risk our name, :thumb:

cdfracing 07 June 2007 07:34 PM

Also I wouldn't run these on my own car if I had the slightest doubts on them

VTR Bondy 07 June 2007 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by turboDean (Post 6996143)
Hope not, coz i've got a 5.75kg Exedy flywheel and have just ordered a full set of pulleys of CDF Racing

Just ignore me im crap. Just relyin wot i heard.

pnbond007 07 June 2007 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by MazingerZ (Post 6994957)
more like 2BHP, all you are going to feel is less resistance to accelerate

jeeeez.... surely you'de need to be really intouch with your engine to feel the difference of having lighter pulleys.....

cdfracing 07 June 2007 08:55 PM

You will notice the difference! Money back guarantee! ask any of the guys from the group buy https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...hese-kits.html :thumb:

The rookie 07 June 2007 09:00 PM

The torsional damper in the stock pulley can be for three reasons, on some engines it is necesary to stop crank breaking vibrations (Rover K-series is one) on others its just there to remove some NVH, on some engines without that damper the flywheels have been known to fret loose (Renault V6 for example), as I understand it from contacts at Prodrive on the EJ engines (or at least the EJ20) its just for NVH, so shouldn't cause a problem.

Remember this is manufacturer worst case testing though, so running a K-series without the damper, for probably 75%+ of drivers won't cause a problem, its just they have to design it safe for EVERYONE, for 100,000miles!

Simon

pnbond007 07 June 2007 09:12 PM

well after my RCM flywheel & AP Organic clutch etc, this is the way I'm going too...with RCM kit.

FLAT ERIC 07 June 2007 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by cdfracing (Post 6996672)
You will notice the difference! Money back guarantee! ask any of the guys from the group buy https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...hese-kits.html :thumb:

One happy groupie here. :thumb:

The butt dyno says the car is more responsive & it seems to spin up a lot easier. Well the shift light comes up now with what feels like a lot less effort.

http://www.scoobycity.co.uk/phpBB2/files/cdf2.jpg

Mark ;)

GazTheHat 08 June 2007 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by cdfracing (Post 6996672)

Is that still going?

(Just when i thought the mods would stop :Whatever_ )

cdfracing 08 June 2007 03:11 PM

Hi ,

No that group buy has stopped but please pm me with what your after and i'll sort you out a good price,

Cheers chris

Big-G 08 June 2007 11:50 PM

I've fitted a lightweight CDF crank pulley (gold:thumb: ) and removed the AC drive belt, I didn't tell my sons that I had done the mod, picked them up from school, floored it and they definately noticed a difference.
It seems to benefit at low end spool up and high end acceleration between 5000 to 6000 rpm.
Those original pulleys are very heavy, so it must improve power output.

Mines an auto, it causes faster lock-up of the torque converter at lower revs thus increasing take-off speed.

pnbond007 09 June 2007 12:04 PM

looking forward to having mine fitted.....

cdfracing 09 June 2007 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Big-G (Post 7001648)
I've fitted a lightweight CDF crank pulley (gold:thumb: ) and removed the AC drive belt, I didn't tell my sons that I had done the mod, picked them up from school, floored it and they definately noticed a difference.
It seems to benefit at low end spool up and high end acceleration between 5000 to 6000 rpm.
Those original pulleys are very heavy, so it must improve power output.

Mines an auto, it causes faster lock-up of the torque converter at lower revs thus increasing take-off speed.

Good stuff ! Hope you show them off for me ;)

chunkb 10 June 2007 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by pnbond007 (Post 6996753)
well after my RCM flywheel & AP Organic clutch etc, this is the way I'm going too...with RCM kit.

I have AP clutch,lightweight pulleys,lightweight flywheel and carbon propshaft and my car feels great to drive,no real difference to the standard set up,all fitted by Matt Clark at RCM,Home of the Gobstopper.

MaDaSS 10 June 2007 10:35 AM

I have a lightened flywheel and i bought my pulley set in blue from RCMS. I defintely noticed the difference after the flywheel was done, but noticed nothing when i then has the pulley set done.
Flywheel, etc does make a big difference to free revving and better throttle response. And the blue pulleys look good! LOL.