ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Rear crank seal (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/610869-rear-crank-seal.html)

P1 FEK 04 June 2007 01:08 PM

Rear crank seal

I've had a **** weekend! Someone kindly sent me a rear crank seal to replace the I had leaking so yesterday a mate and I removed the gearbox and clutch and replaced the seal, it took a long time but went quite smoothly. There was loads of oil around the clutch but apart from looking well used it seemed ok. Anyway we managed to get the new seal in evenually and refitted everything, took it for a short test drive, topped up the gearbox oil, everything seemed ok. I then headed off home slowly but after about 10miles it suddenly lost oil pressure and the warning light came on, I stopped and turned the ignition off and there was engine oil pouring out of the bottom of the car! Not good, this was 2.30am!! Managed to tow the car back to my mates, but i'm not sure where to go from here now?? I think somehow we must of just not fitted it correctly, I pushed it in evently but maybe it did'nt seal correctly, I dunno??
The bore was cleaned and carefully lubricated. The seal was then pushed in squarely with the top of a grease pot which happened to have the same diameter as the seal. We took our time an the seal was carefully lined up and gentle pressure applied, then gradually increase until the seal popped in about 10mm. Have we done something wrong? Having removed the gearbox again the seal is still situated about 10mm in and not flush with the flywheel as the previous seal was when it was removed, but I understood that the oil pressure would move the oil seal in position against the flywheel and seal due to it's cheverion(?) design?

Sc0oby 04 June 2007 01:21 PM

think you should have put some silicon

P1 FEK 04 June 2007 01:57 PM

silicon where? on the seal?

Eprom 04 June 2007 03:26 PM

Would have thought the seal should be flush with the back of the crank case, you can put a little sealant on the ribbed outer section to stop the seal popping out of where it is fitted.

P1 FEK 04 June 2007 05:18 PM

Is it possible to push these seal in to far then?

911 05 June 2007 07:46 AM

This is the very same issue for someone else here about 2 months ago.
Changed the seal and it leaked instantly.
He replaced the seal with silicon on the outside of the seal and pressed-in flush.

also consider the plastic cover behind the flywheel, they can leak too with the same effect.

Graham.

stockcar 05 June 2007 07:57 AM

there is no 'stop' on the seal as you push it into the c/cases so it sounds very liekly that you have pushed it too far in by your description!
you only tap in until fluch with the case.................

alyn

P1 FEK 05 June 2007 09:32 AM

Thank you, sound like we may of pushed it in to far then. I've got another seal comming so this time will use some silicone. Is there any particular special silicone I should use?

Sc0oby 05 June 2007 01:02 PM

three bond silicon