ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   BMW 335d - Anyone got one? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/610046-bmw-335d-anyone-got-one.html)

Matteeboy 31 May 2007 05:50 PM

BMW 335d - Anyone got one?

Thinking that with a little one on the way, maybe an Evo IX MR is a bit daft.
Wife agrees that the 335d touring looks a good buy.

Obviously bonkers torque and pretty quick but any problems to look out for (I'm already a soot chucker driver to no need to "rattle/smell/smoke jibes!")?

AndyC_772 31 May 2007 05:59 PM

It looks like an excellent buy IMHO - certainly if my E46 330D Touring is anything to go by. The new 335i petrol gets excellent reviews too - I'd look at both if I were you.

Nürburg_Ringa 31 May 2007 06:05 PM

Very impresive, ticks all the boxes.

As a 'car' for UK roads (and laws) you can't do much better.

335d on the drive and a 'toy' in the garage for track days. Great setup.

Seine 31 May 2007 06:13 PM

BMW - Would suit you too Matteeboy ;)

Devildog 31 May 2007 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 6974123)

Obviously bonkers torque and pretty quick but any problems to look out for ?

Yes - idiots in Imprezas who keep holding you up :)

Its a seriously quick bit of kit, never mind quick oil burner :thumb:

(never driven, but plenty of passenger rides in one owned by a friend of mine)

Oh, and make sure you spec them cleverly. Big wheels, good paint colour and nice interior essential. Sat nav apparently less so.

kingofturds 31 May 2007 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Seine (Post 6974191)
BMW - Would suit you too Matteeboy ;)

Are you suggesting people who drive Bmw's are tossers:eek: :D

On a serious note My boss used to have the coupe and loved it, despite hating oil burners with a passion. something like 286 bhp and a shed load of torque made it one quick car. Not cheap though

Matteeboy 31 May 2007 10:20 PM

The worse the image, the more I like it.
I currently have an Astra after all!

Time to get a test drive arranged.

carl 31 May 2007 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 6974123)
Thinking that with a little one on the way, maybe an Evo IX MR is a bit daft.

Why's that? It's got four seats and a boot. Do you need more? I've got a 13-year old and a 15-year old, and we've never had an estate car or an MPV. In fact the last four cars have been coupes.

sti-04!! 01 June 2007 12:01 AM

I used to have a 535d Tourer & the performance would blow you away, the only thing that beats it is the torque from my new RR :D

TopBanana 01 June 2007 12:11 AM

Those Reliant Robins are quite something aren't they

sbk1972 01 June 2007 07:49 AM

Friend has a 335d coupe. Loves it. Says that it has the right amount of torque / speed and mpg. Had a little race with him and my m3 evo convertible, and he was more than a match for me.

I like the 335d touring, lovely looking thing.

Go for it.

SBK

MattW 01 June 2007 08:47 AM

Had a 330d for a wee while and it was very capable (E46), however bit bland for my tastes. The Evo is at the other end of the spectrum in terms of looks. I've heard good things about the 335d, but it's an expensive car. completely off the wall, have you looked at the new Honda CR-V, in exec spec lot of car for the money.

Sub97 01 June 2007 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by carl (Post 6975087)
Why's that? It's got four seats and a boot. Do you need more? I've got a 13-year old and a 15-year old, and we've never had an estate car or an MPV. In fact the last four cars have been coupes.

Personally, I wouldn't want to drive a new born baby around in a car with suspension as hard as an Evo. But then other people might say that's being over protective?

We've also got a couple of dogs to go in the boot, so we couldn't get by with a coupe. Don't know matteeboy's situation, but different people need different things from a car.

Matteeboy 01 June 2007 09:12 AM

We do need an estate - mainly for surfboards, a labrador and horse riding kit for wife - Can get all three in the Astra with room to spare.

I would never, ever get an MPV!!
An Evo could be done but it would be hard work - Boards would have to go on the roof and I hate roofracks.

My inlaws had a 535d tourer for a few months but it went back after the i-drive killed the car - Massive performance but I have a feeling the 335d woulod handle better - The 5 series has huge overhangs and it makes the car feel a bit bargy.

davecweed 01 June 2007 09:54 AM

how did the i drive kill the car??

RobEvo5 01 June 2007 10:04 AM

335Petrol or diesal will defo be a car I get at some stage once they have taken a bit of a hit on depreciation. The petrol and the deisal are suppossed to be as quick as the old M3 Evo's in stock form with more torque. Imagine what could be had from nothing more than a remap from a twin turbo lump. Could be close to S4/RS4 territory, or new M3 territory without the huge purchase price or running costs.

As said above though I think they look a bit bland and a careful choice of wheels, colour and extra's are needed to make it something that is still understated but enough to make you give it a second glance.

Matteeboy 01 June 2007 10:04 AM

Dave - a load of things went wrong - lights not turning off, locks being wierd, etc and it got worse. BMW took it back as it needed some part that wasn't even available in Germany.
They were the third case that month!
Shook the inlaws confidence in the car so they got an X5 which they are chuffed to bits with (just wish it has the 535d engine)!

Rob - I liked understated.

carl 01 June 2007 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sub97 (Post 6975736)
Personally, I wouldn't want to drive a new born baby around in a car with suspension as hard as an Evo. But then other people might say that's being over protective?

LOL, do people really think like this? It's a wonder that anyone of my generation survived being a baby.

Flatcapdriver 01 June 2007 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 6974319)
Yes - idiots in Imprezas who keep holding you up :)

Its a seriously quick bit of kit, never mind quick oil burner :thumb:

(never driven, but plenty of passenger rides in one owned by a friend of mine)

Oh, and make sure you spec them cleverly. Big wheels, good paint colour and nice interior essential. Sat nav apparently less so.

Good car but don't bother with the SatNav. Why pay £1700.00 for something with less functionality than a TomTom at £170.00?

Leather essential, leccy mirrors, cruise and all the normal options but don't go too mad.

Matteeboy 01 June 2007 11:48 AM

I'm not interested in Sat Nav - A Phillips Navigator map book and a geographically competent wife works for me!

Patt@firstime 01 June 2007 11:50 AM

Was following a 335d Coupe on motorway this morning in traffic - traffic cleared, driver stuck foot down, BMW gone :eek: looked really quick :thumb:

davecweed 01 June 2007 11:57 AM

the midrange in these cars are great, for instant shove!, i need to get my 535d chipped, to really get things moving!

Nürburg_Ringa 01 June 2007 11:59 AM

It has to have prof sat nav & voice control, otherwise you will struggle with resale.

The sat nav is kind of intergrated into the whole i drive system, bmw assist etc.

Yes its massiverly overpriced, but i would not buy a used 335d without it, so when it comes to selling will hit you hard.

carl 01 June 2007 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nürburg_Ringa (Post 6976165)
It has to have prof sat nav & voice control, otherwise you will struggle with resale.

I just ordered a Z4 M Coupe without sat nav. Like the others in this thread, I don't expect a £1700 satnav option to offer less functionality than a £200 Tomtom. I expect that a lot of people have their own Tomtom-like satnavs now so aren't bothered by whether there's an integrated one in their car.

And don't start me on "BMW Assist". You have to have Satnav to use it, and basically you call the control centre and say "I'm lost". But you've got Satnav...? Maybe it's designed for women ;)

Nürburg_Ringa 01 June 2007 12:17 PM

Agreed, but the dealers will all want pro sat nav come resale.

I wouldnt want a tom tom stuck to my windsreen with wires in a Z4M coupe.

I know it's a rip off, but i'd rather have a fully intergrated system, and so will the punter that buys your car 2nd hand.

carl 01 June 2007 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nürburg_Ringa (Post 6976207)
I wouldnt want a tom tom stuck to my windsreen with wires in a Z4M coupe.

It runs 5 hours on the batteries. so no wires :D

TBH who in their right mind is going to drive seriously long distances in a Z4MC?

Matteeboy 01 June 2007 12:23 PM

Carl - You lucky lucky bar steward!
I love the new ZM Coupe - Best looking BMW in ages.
Not a lot of space in the back though!

I'd seriously struggle with paying £2k (or whatever) for a largely pointless accessory even if it did add a bit to the resale value - lets face it most options become worthless at resale value anyway.

Flatcapdriver 01 June 2007 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 6976144)
a geographically competent wife works for me!

Definitely an oxymoron. Shurely shome mishtake?

Flatcapdriver 01 June 2007 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by carl (Post 6976212)
TBH who in their right mind is going to drive seriously long distances in a Z4MC?

Well, me for starters. Done 12k in six months. Pointless having it otherwise.

Matteeboy 01 June 2007 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver (Post 6976264)
Definitely an oxymoron. Shurely shome mishtake?

She has some funny quirks:

Likes (and participates in) surfing.
Good map reader.
Not very interested in shopping.
No interest in celebrity gossip.
Keeps fit despite being married