ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Charged for Prison stay (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/609681-charged-for-prison-stay.html)

MattW 30 May 2007 09:20 AM

Charged for Prison stay

BBC NEWS | England | Northamptonshire | Innocent man to pay for jail time

"The purpose of the compensation is to put an individual back into the financial position they would have been in but for the miscarriage of justice, but not to a better position."

Do they not compensate for losing your bottom cherry then? :wonder:

JonMc 30 May 2007 09:23 AM

Sorry, but he should pay, why should he have free bed and board at the expense of the tax payer. He would have spent this money if he was living in the real world.

PeteBrant 30 May 2007 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 6969127)
Sorry, but he should pay, why should he have free bed and board at the expense of the tax payer. He would have spent this money if he was living in the real world.

Outrageous really, three years inside for something you didn't do. I mean what sort of price do you put on 3 years of lost life?

It's not as if he was staying at the ****ing Savoy.

Three years inside is bad enough, but being put there when you are completely innocent, well, he deserves every penny and more.

Luminous 30 May 2007 10:04 AM

I cannot believe that they ask you to pay. It is not as if the accomodation is likely to have been to his taste either. Nor will you have the choice of food, heck you cannot even choose when you eat.

Not to mention of course the long lasting damage to his earning potential. There are not many careers out there where you can just take a 3 years break and walk straight back into your job. I bet they are not offering compensation for the lack of his promotion prospects :mad:

It is all about this government taking all the money it can from anywhere it can get it.

rik1471 30 May 2007 10:35 AM

Why is an innocent man charged for his stay whereas a guilty man isn't?

I really can't get my head round this one.

EddScott 30 May 2007 10:48 AM

IMO, this is old news.

A while back, they changed the way the compensation system works so its more clear cut the costs involved in holding a person whether they are innocent or not.

He'll still get around 100K in compensation. Whether thats adequate for what he's been through who knows.

rik1471 30 May 2007 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 6969341)
IMO, this is old news.

A while back, they changed the way the compensation system works so its more clear cut the costs involved in holding a person whether they are innocent or not.

He'll still get around 100K in compensation. Whether thats adequate for what he's been through who knows.

You've missed the point, he has been charged for stayin in prison when he is innocent, whereas a guilty man would not be charged. Old news or not, that is appalling.

Simon C 30 May 2007 11:22 AM

Thats fcuking discusting. Sorry, they banged up an innocent man and now their trying to claim their compensation back.

If it were me, I'd be taking them for more than 100k

Defformation of character
Loss of earnings
loss off house (possibly)
Stress
Wrongfull imprisonment

phil_wrx 30 May 2007 12:57 PM

ok he might of spent £7000 on living expenses on the outside but he didnt choose to be in there a dn at least if he was on the outside he wouldnt be living in fear of getting his **** pumped (unless he lived in luton) :P

Account deleted by request 30 May 2007 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by phil_wrx (Post 6969733)
(unless he lived in luton) :P

or brighton

chop :D

Leslie 31 May 2007 11:47 AM

Yet another shameful example of the mean and selfish attitude by the authorities.

Les :(