ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   HOW QUICK??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/609331-how-quick.html)

GONZO01 28 May 2007 08:52 PM

HOW QUICK???

I had a play this evening on a bypass with a Renault Megane sport 225.We both came off a roundabout was'nt going to play as I was to busy singing along to a cd.I was in third he undertook me changed down and booted it so I thought why not forgot to change down the box put my foot down and I could'nt catch him:eek2: F**K it was a quick car:eek2: at the end of the bypass he informed me it was a 225 megane sport both had a laugh and went our seperate ways.Didn't realise how quick they were mine is running just over 255bhp and as I said I couldn't catch him time for more mods me thinks.Would off probably been a different story from a standing start though I think.:lol1:

Terminator X 28 May 2007 09:00 PM

He was gunning it & caught you napping though ...

His car must be at least as heavy if not heavier so you should be able to "ave im" next time ;) I'd recommend that you do as he needs to be taught a fecking lesson ;)

TX.

GONZO01 28 May 2007 09:05 PM

If I see him again I will be ready but s**t it was quick:)

nik52wrx 28 May 2007 09:09 PM

I think its been pointed out before that Impreza's are no longer top dog in terms of performance. There are a good few 200+bhp cars out there capable of giving the iconic Impreza a run for its money.
Nik.

hoskib 28 May 2007 09:11 PM

downside of turbo cars, if you're not in the right gear/revs it'll take a good length of road to catch up if you get passed at speed.

so unless you cane it around everywhere expect to get caught out every now and again:) had a bit of a let down myself the other day on the motorway with a 330 diesel bmw of all things:rolleyes:

jayoz 28 May 2007 09:16 PM

i drove one on a trackday at brands and was quick.handled graet aswell for a fwd.had a cage and uprated brakes ,tyres.

Terminator X 28 May 2007 09:49 PM

Tis true :(

This was 225bhp Megane vs 255bhp Scoob though, should be close ish & I'd lay a £1 on the Scoob being quicker :)

TX.

Originally Posted by nik52wrx (Post 6964859)
I think its been pointed out before that Impreza's are no longer top dog in terms of performance. There are a good few 200+bhp cars out there capable of giving the iconic Impreza a run for its money.
Nik.

MrRA 28 May 2007 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 6965005)
Tis true :(

This was 225bhp Megane vs 255bhp Scoob though, should be close ish & I'd lay a £1 on the Scoob being quicker :)

TX.

Scoob will suffer from greater transmission losses though so I wouldn't mind betting the Megane is producing a few more ponies ATW.

Terminator X 28 May 2007 10:45 PM

Is there really that big a difference? My Spec C "lost" 19% between flywheel & wheels when I put her on a rolling road.

TX.

Originally Posted by MrRA (Post 6965078)
Scoob will suffer from greater transmission losses though so I wouldn't mind betting the Megane is producing a few more ponies ATW.

GONZO01 28 May 2007 10:57 PM

Hopefully though standing start next time and my scoob should win every time or no?Also how do I solve the transmission prob of taking time to find the wanted gear.

MrRA 29 May 2007 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 6965183)
Is there really that big a difference? My Spec C "lost" 19% between flywheel & wheels when I put her on a rolling road.

TX.

I suppose it all depends on what rolling road though. On Powerstations rollers mine made 342.4 BHP (corrected engine power) which apparently equated to 195.2 BHP ATW, which is way more than 19%, but then again their setup is supposedly pessimistic to say the least.

The 30 BHP difference between the Megane and the Scoob in this thread isn't all that much IMO, and would only show an advantage towards the top end IMO.

shustir 29 May 2007 01:54 PM

You could always get a STI Type R/RA, doesn't really matter what gear you are in (within reason), spools up and just goes with no fuss.

RAPID RABBIT 29 May 2007 02:07 PM

I had a little jossel with a megane 225 in my old rover 220 turbo back in jan i think. bloody quick car but we were neck and neck. nothing in it.

v5 man 29 May 2007 02:09 PM

To be honest im quite a fan of those Megane 225 Sports. I had a play with one last week in Wycombe on the A404 Marlow by-pass. It was blue with black wheels and looked stunning IMO :)

Anyhow, my Evo 6 is just over 300bhp ATF and he came out of traffic behind me, I knew he was up for playing so waited for the traffic in front to clear and gunned it from 30ish MPH.
Much to my surprise it wasn`t as easy to lose him in a straight line as i`d thought it would be and even though my lead was slowly increasing I never "blew him away".
So, add Evo`s to that list of Icons that are slowly being caught by the competition, it certainly made me feel like i`d want to test drive one in the future :)

New_scooby_04 29 May 2007 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by hoskib (Post 6964869)
downside of turbo cars, if you're not in the right gear/revs it'll take a good length of road to catch up if you get passed at speed.

so unless you cane it around everywhere expect to get caught out every now and again:) had a bit of a let down myself the other day on the motorway with a 330 diesel bmw of all things:rolleyes:

BIG torque on those! :thumb:

pimmo2000 29 May 2007 02:22 PM

Nik.

:Whatever_

what would scooby do 29 May 2007 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 6966612)

Never underestimate the grunt those oil burning BMW's have :norty:

amazingjames 29 May 2007 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 6966612)

big torque steer more like.

misty 29 May 2007 03:31 PM

big torque steer more like.
Please could explain how you get torque steer on a rear wheel drive car?
Dave.

amazingjames 29 May 2007 03:50 PM

my bad i thought we were still on about the renault sorry i missed the bottom of the thread.. and yes derv bms are very good and i think the 5 series won an award plus on top gear it set a very respectable time. not bad for a oil burning executive saloon..

misty 29 May 2007 04:18 PM

Apology accepted! Now, if we can just get you to use the correct grammar in your threads, all will be well!!
Dave

bob r 29 May 2007 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by v5 man (Post 6966602)
To be honest im quite a fan of those Megane 225 Sports. I had a play with one last week in Wycombe on the A404 Marlow by-pass. It was blue with black wheels and looked stunning IMO :)

Anyhow, my Evo 6 is just over 300bhp ATF and he came out of traffic behind me, I knew he was up for playing so waited for the traffic in front to clear and gunned it from 30ish MPH.
Much to my surprise it wasn`t as easy to lose him in a straight line as i`d thought it would be and even though my lead was slowly increasing I never "blew him away".
So, add Evo`s to that list of Icons that are slowly being caught by the competition, it certainly made me feel like i`d want to test drive one in the future :)

Good to see people are happy to be truthfull with their experiences.

On route to the Shootout I had a little play with a GT4. It was Pretty well matched from about 30, but I backed off when it got a bit quick.There were 4 in my car and 3 in the Toyota and on later inspection it did have some internal dials and a power fc commander, so I think my fat car did ok:D

GONZO01 29 May 2007 04:40 PM

BOB R What kind of power does a Toyota Celica GT4 have as standard then?

explore 29 May 2007 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by GONZO01 (Post 6967005)

i belive around the same as a scooby pending on the year. and i think there nicer on the eyes

GONZO01 29 May 2007 05:02 PM

Explore I agree they are nice looking cars there is one in swansea somewhere passed it a few times by Morriston has a nice chatter when it changes gear (is that an external wastegate that gives it that noice or no).But nicer looking then the scooby's I have to disagree M8 Yours looks lovely:)

DazW 29 May 2007 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by GONZO01 (Post 6967005)

ST205's are 240 bhp

GONZO01 29 May 2007 05:25 PM

Quick cars then how can you tell the difference between models does it say on the back or no?

Paddi70 29 May 2007 05:40 PM

Nik.

So very true, but none of them will be, as you rightly put it, ICONIC. ;)

DazW 29 May 2007 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by GONZO01 (Post 6967112)
Quick cars then how can you tell the difference between models does it say on the back or no?

Pretty quick ...fair bit heavier than a classic tho' ...my old one was 1420kg compared to my STi's 1230kg

easiest way to tell them apart is ST205's are the 'bug eye' Celica ...ST185's are pop up headlights, most ST205's tend to have the higher WRC rear spoiler too

GONZO01 29 May 2007 09:05 PM

So standard s205 or standard uk scooby from a standing start mate.