ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   WHICH OF THESE PLASMAS SHALL I HAVE (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/609237-which-of-these-plasmas-shall-i-have.html)

ROOBY_ROO 28 May 2007 04:15 PM

WHICH OF THESE PLASMAS SHALL I HAVE

getting a new tv soon but im stuck as to which one to have , has anyone got either of these two.
http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/stor...ory_oid=-30633
or
Currys - Shop for Flat Panel TV - SAMSUNG PS42Q96HD 42" HD Ready Digital Plasma TV

swampster 28 May 2007 05:03 PM

Erm they're both the same? :wonder:

amazingjames 28 May 2007 05:58 PM

id get the top 1 as the 1 below it doesn't look as good. but there both good tvs and have the same features are the same price are the same size but there's just something about the top 1 that makes it stand out from the second but for the life of me i cant put my finger on it as there THE SAME TELLY YOU FOOL

GazTheHat 28 May 2007 06:11 PM

:lol:

JPF 28 May 2007 07:36 PM

DOH!....you plonker :lol1:

If you want a new plasma check all the reviews online and in the mags mate from what I've read that's not the best for the money.:thumb:

Robin Mullan 28 May 2007 08:22 PM

Personally i'd go for the second one, looks soooooooo much nicer.:cuckoo:

Can't believe how cheap Plasmas/LCDS are now, I bought a Samsung 40" LCD last october online from comet for £1150, instore price at the time was around £1350 and im sure its well bellow £1000 now. :brickwall

Tesco's are now doing a 32" HD ready LCD for £399, don't know how good it is though.

ROOBY_ROO 28 May 2007 09:48 PM

bloody hell lol only just noticed what i did, DOH,
sorry peeps the other one should have been this
http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/stor...ory_oid=-30633

Robin Mullan 28 May 2007 11:10 PM

The Samsung looks like better value for money, plus its got 3 HDMI connections.

pslewis 28 May 2007 11:18 PM

I have the LG and it is simply stunning - blew everything else out the water in the PQ department ...... and I hate LG!!!! :cry:

But had to buy it as it was the best.

_ScOOby_ 28 May 2007 11:37 PM

I think there are actually very few companies that actually make the screens anymore. I know Sony do, and I think most of the others actually use the same panel...

The difference is in the colour chipsets etc.. If you can get one, get a Pioneer. I have one and the colours and screen depth are amazing. I was told they are one of the best... Samsuing are also meant to be pretty good.

miff13 29 May 2007 12:02 AM

[QUOTE=_ScOOby_;6965331]I think there are actually very few companies that actually make the screens anymore. I know Sony do, and I think most of the others actually use the same panel...
QUOTE]

Sony don't make their own screens

GazTheHat 29 May 2007 12:06 AM

If you can stretch another couple of hundred, then you can get the Pan Viera. You can't buy a better 42" plasma. Read any review...

_ScOOby_ 29 May 2007 12:06 AM

There must be very few screen makers now then... Probably all made in the same factory in China!

Thats what the Sony bloke said... I bought the pioneer anyways!!! lol

ROOBY_ROO 29 May 2007 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by GazTheHat (Post 6965366)
If you can stretch another couple of hundred, then you can get the Pan Viera. You can't buy a better 42" plasma. Read any review...

got any links to any m8

swampster 29 May 2007 12:25 AM

Give me a good quality LCD over a Plasma anyday... matter of personal preference however.

BTW, I have a Samsung 40" LCD and the picture is fantastic IMO. Out of the two above I'd go for the Samsung.

ROOBY_ROO 29 May 2007 12:41 AM

i did ask about a lcd but i watch alot of football and app the plasmas are better as on the lcd the ball seems to go in slow motion or summat like that, thats what the guy in curries told me anyway.

swampster 29 May 2007 12:52 AM

Personally I wouldn't give the time of day for anything a guy at Curry's/Dixon's/Comet/PC World* tells me. They're nearly all on commission, and will punt any unsuspecting pleb off the street in the direction of what makes them the most cash and not what is most suitable. Not that many (if any) of them actually know what the hell they're talking about anyway.

About 5 years ago, what he said might have been true.. but I watch football on my TV without problem, the response rates on modern good quality LCD's are so quick now ghosting is simply not noticeable. It's like me telling you that plasmas will only last 5 years max if you're lucky! These things might have been true with first generation models (perhaps still true with really el cheapo ones).

Just make sure you research what you want from the TV, and get the closest that fits your requirements.

*Delete where appropriate

GazTheHat 29 May 2007 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ROOBY_ROO (Post 6965375)
got any links to any m8

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...V/Product.html

TrustedReviews - Panasonic Viera TH-42PX60B 42in Plasma

Pick up any of the What Tv/Home Cinema mags in WHSmiths, check out the back for product reviews and you'll see the write up on the Vieras. :thumb:

amazingjames 29 May 2007 03:55 PM

swampsters right the best thing to do is ask owners how they find theres and maybe check with wich tv magazine as there impartial and are in the consumers corner helping the peole get the best deal..

homerjay 29 May 2007 04:07 PM

panasonc px70 is the plasma to buy at the min...

proper 1080 hd, none of this 720 crap...

IJE71 29 May 2007 04:24 PM

I personaly would spend a bit more and get a full 1080 but of the two you selected i'd go with the LG. In the shop the picture on the LG's looks better than any other similar priced TV and it's cheaper.:)

StickyMicky 29 May 2007 05:25 PM

john lewis is suppsed to be doing the sony 55" lcd rear projection for £999 now with 5 year warrenty :eek:

i`m ordering the 50" sony 3lcd rear projection next week :D

pslewis 29 May 2007 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by GazTheHat (Post 6965366)

I went in to buy the Panasonic Viera after reading the reviews - I came out with the LG listed by the thread starter!

Why?

Well the Panasonic sat there, looking, well, ... crap basically - the actual look of the cabinet is pants ..... the LG sat next to it with its black piano finish and silver tones around.

Next the picture, I spent an hour playing with them both - putting them both on the same channel from the same feed - adjusting them to my liking SHOCK, HORROR, the LG blew the Panny away ................ I wasn't ready for that so went home with my money to think it over.

Went down the next day and bought the LG - let your eyes do the talking - NOT some Magazine Reports who favour the companies who put them up in the best hotels and wine them better!!

ROOBY_ROO 29 May 2007 09:39 PM

thing is currys are bloody useless when it comes to wanting to view them as they never seem to have them in stock. come to think of it they didnt have one single tv in stock i was interested in,
i like the praise of the lg but its got a silver surround and i want black like the samsung. im not gonna buy one though till io have seen them in the flesh powered up.

GazTheHat 30 May 2007 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 6967297)
Well the Panasonic sat there, looking, well, ... crap basically - the actual look of the cabinet is pants ..... the LG sat next to it with its black piano finish and silver tones around.

You of all people i wouldn't of expected to go for Fashion before function. :brickwall

You can sit there chief with your LG plasma, cheap scart cable and feel you've got the best around. But the whole word and his dog will know the Viera is better.

GazTheHat 30 May 2007 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by ROOBY_ROO (Post 6968097)
thing is currys are bloody useless when it comes to wanting to view them as they never seem to have them in stock. come to think of it they didnt have one single tv in stock i was interested in,
i like the praise of the lg but its got a silver surround and i want black like the samsung. im not gonna buy one though till io have seen them in the flesh powered up.

A friend has just bought a 40/42" Samsung LCD. It is one sexy lOOking TV, if a tv can be sexy. It does lOOk nice. But TBH, when you're watching the TV, you rarely see the surround, you'll only notice when it's off.

I can send you a pic of my setup, wall mounted if you want. PM me. Think you'll agree that a little silver doesn't hurt. :)

Alexppp 30 May 2007 01:08 PM

If it Helps Samsung make all Sony Tv's and use Sony Technology but just with a different badge and a lot cheaper. If your not bothred about the name I would go with the Samsung as I know Sony Plasma/Hitachi/LG are all ona par with eachother well actually LG & Hitachi are the same Tv.

Alexppp

SlimJ_2005 30 May 2007 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by homerjay (Post 6966894)
panasonc px70 is the plasma to buy at the min...

proper 1080 hd, none of this 720 crap...

I'm looking at this TV at the moment, but its only 720p, not 1080p!! :wonder:

It can process 1080p signals but wont display them at this size, you want a plasma that can do 1080p its going to cost you more than £800 I'm afraid!

phil_wrx 30 May 2007 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by SlimJ_2005 (Post 6969790)
I'm looking at this TV at the moment, but its only 720p, not 1080p!! :wonder:

It can process 1080p signals but wont display them at this size, you want a plasma that can do 1080p its going to cost you more than £800 I'm afraid!

how can it disply a 1080p sighal on a 720p screen? u thinking about the screen size has to be a certain size?

GazTheHat 30 May 2007 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by phil_wrx (Post 6970019)
how can it disply a 1080p sighal on a 720p screen? u thinking about the screen size has to be a certain size?

Upscaling?