ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wales (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/)
-   -   Advice on Brakes please!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/608109-advice-on-brakes-please.html)

evil.soup 23 May 2007 05:33 PM

Advice on Brakes please!!

Had the car serviced last week at 16.5k and was advised that both my discs and pads are 70% worn:eek:

Some thing to do with the odd run i have been on probably because its like im driving Miss Daisey the rest of the time.:wonder:
Servicing the car every 5-6k is expensive as it is and i can do without changing the brakes now but it was on the cards anyway.

I wanted to get a set of Sti Brembo's and disks with red stuff pads but i dont have the money for this right now so it will just have to be new front disks and pads for the time being:(

Im thinking of getting Tarox discs and red stuff ceramic pads from scoobyworld, since i have won £50 to spend there:luxhello: , but dont really have much knowledge in the brake department so im after any advice i can get please;)

Cheers in advance,

Ian:cool:

DannyBoy007 23 May 2007 05:48 PM

Brembos are cheaper than you think if you sell on the 4 pots but it's the large cash outlay to start with, it only cost me £40 to switch over to brand new brembos, pads and discs, but I had to outlay £590 to start with and sold the rears and old 4 pots for £550.

I haven't heard a good word regarding red stuff!!!!! causes cracked/warped discs etc

Tarox discs are pretty good on the other hand. The black diamond ones they also sell are very good, Ian(Blue dragoon) has used these, I used there pads for ages, very good and low cost.

If I was going pads, Look for ferodo DS2500 or Mintex 1144 or 1155, going to cost about £120-30 but well worth it. I picked up a brand new set of mintrx 1155 off ebay for £40

Silver Scooby Sport 23 May 2007 07:01 PM

Agree with Danny 100% on this, get a full set of Brembo's and sell your four pots and rear two pots... braided hoses and Dot 5.1 fluid, Andy's very reasonable for the fitting and Bob's your uncle as they say :thumb:
Mine stops now in some order :D

WR1JLD 23 May 2007 08:51 PM

I agree also.. Not only do Brembo's look the part, they also stop you so fast it feels like your face is being ripped off:notworthy

p.s. well done on your £50;)

evil.soup 23 May 2007 08:58 PM

Its begining to look like im better off just going for the Brembo's then...........Hhhmmm maybe i could sell a kidney and get exhaust and re-map done at the same time:wonder: :lol1:

Scudy23 23 May 2007 11:05 PM

If you got subaru 2 pots gonna go m8 can i have first refusal, liked the look on Lee's rear brakes.

The Trooper 1815 24 May 2007 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by evil.soup (Post 6952066)
Its begining to look like im better off just going for the Brembo's then...........Hhhmmm maybe i could sell a kidney and get exhaust and re-map done at the same time:wonder: :lol1:

As you know some of us have been fortunate to get some cheap BREMBO's. But, Jap performance Parts also have loads. Check out there parts pic on there home page. It's the left hand picture, just click and go. I have had parts dispatched and delivered in less than 24 hours. Top bunch.

Dan W 24 May 2007 10:24 AM

Looks like you know what youre gonna do Ian. Gold GOld GOLd GOLD:lol1: :luxhello: :thumb:

evil.soup 24 May 2007 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Scudy23 (Post 6952419)
If you got subaru 2 pots gonna go m8 can i have first refusal, liked the look on Lee's rear brakes.

Of course mate, just have to think of a way of getting the money together to buy the Brembo's:thumb: