ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Why can't new houses have high ceilings? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/607340-why-cant-new-houses-have-high-ceilings.html)

talizman 21 May 2007 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh (Post 6946497)
Please explain further!

POC; what is ridge height?

Talizman; your comment makes no sense to me!:confused:

What makes no sense? :wonder:

For houses to have high ceilings, the floor dimensions MUST be in proportion IMO.

Modern new builds are boxy and cramped and high ceilings in the vast majority of new houses would look well out of proportion.

High ceilings are great in older houses where the rooms are already much bigger, so the ceilings look "right"

Like the example I've cited a few times now, a box bedroom as is commonplace in new builds would look ridiculous with a 9 foot ceiling when the floor space if barely 6 foot x 8 foot.

jaytc2003 22 May 2007 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 6946964)
Last house I rented was a new build timber frame place and I swear the place rattled if the missus was upstairs taking a sh it:eek: every little sound travelled through the house. Give me real bricks and mortar any day:thumb:

if your kingofturds, then your missus must be queenofturds so its no wonder you can hear her take a sh it :lol1:

GrahameS 22 May 2007 09:27 AM

If you look at new houses by Charles Church they pride themselves on their traditional features, including high ceilings..

As the salesman took great pride in telling me about 8 times in 20 minutes!!

David Lock 22 May 2007 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by GrahameS (Post 6947410)
If you look at new houses by Charles Church they pride themselves on their traditional features, including high ceilings..

As the salesman took great pride in telling me about 8 times in 20 minutes!!

They probably employ dwarfs :D

=======

My old Victorian house had high ceilings with a couple of small/box rooms on the top floor. They didn't look an "odd" shape. Part of it is what you are used to. 100 years ago if you moved people who lived in those old houses into a modern build I expect they would feel cramped.

Of course 300 years before that ceilings were low because the peasants were short!!

Matteeboy 22 May 2007 09:59 AM

Used to prefer high ceiling (lived in a number of Victorian houses) but now prefer cosy low ceilinged places.

My folks moved from a big Victorian house to a c1500 old gaff (called Old Manor House but that's a bit OTT!) and the latest house is SO cosy yet manages to stay cool in the Summer.
The former house cost a fortune to heat despite being smaller.

Deep Singh 22 May 2007 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by talizman (Post 6946986)
What makes no sense? :wonder:

For houses to have high ceilings, the floor dimensions MUST be in proportion IMO.

Modern new builds are boxy and cramped and high ceilings in the vast majority of new houses would look well out of proportion.

High ceilings are great in older houses where the rooms are already much bigger, so the ceilings look "right"

Like the example I've cited a few times now, a box bedroom as is commonplace in new builds would look ridiculous with a 9 foot ceiling when the floor space if barely 6 foot x 8 foot.

The reason it makes no sense mate is that not all new builds have small rooms, only cheaper/smaller ones perhaps. There are new build mansions out there that have massive rooms but still have low ceilings. In the same way one of the bedrooms in my Edwardian home is a about 9ft by 9ft, so not all period homes have all big rooms. Therefore your statement does not explain in any way why new builds all tend to have low ceilings.:)

talizman 23 May 2007 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh (Post 6947749)
The reason it makes no sense mate is that not all new builds have small rooms, only cheaper/smaller ones perhaps. There are new build mansions out there that have massive rooms but still have low ceilings. In the same way one of the bedrooms in my Edwardian home is a about 9ft by 9ft, so not all period homes have all big rooms. Therefore your statement does not explain in any way why new builds all tend to have low ceilings.:)

I appreciate that at the richer end of the market, new builders will construct houses with reasonable sized rooms, but the vast majority of new builds are small and dingy, and that includes "cheaper" ones at £300k ish.

I'm quite sure that if you are well off enough to be buying houses in say the half million pound bracket then Barratt or Wimpey may well give you generous floor space but for the majority of their properties this is not the case.

I'm looking to move at present and have been out viewing showhomes etc and have piles of brochures like you wouldn't believe, and nothing in the sub £350k bracket (in my area) even comes close to being regarded as "spacious"