ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Why can't new houses have high ceilings? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/607340-why-cant-new-houses-have-high-ceilings.html)

Deep Singh 20 May 2007 03:25 PM

Why can't new houses have high ceilings?

Or can they? Lots of people like period homes as they have (aswell as other things) high ceilings. Is there any reason why a new build can't have similar high ceilings to a Victorian/Edwardian property?

2000TLondon 20 May 2007 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh (Post 6943056)
Or can they? Lots of people like period homes as they have (aswell as other things) high ceilings. Is there any reason why a new build can't have similar high ceilings to a Victorian/Edwardian property?

Cost would be my first guess.......

Turbohot 20 May 2007 03:39 PM

^ Agreed. For example, heating cost are very high in high ceiling properties. We lived in an old chapel a few years ago. I called it a cold chapel, as it always stayed cold, even after heating it on full blast:( Not sure about the planning permission business re. high ceilings :confused: Other than high ceiling issue, I am pleased that there will be some changes made in the law soon for conservatory and loft conversion. People may not have to get any planning permission for them in future :)

dpb 20 May 2007 03:42 PM

Prolly something to do with new labour :D

FFS soon you wont be able to drive your own car to w*rk

Nat 20 May 2007 03:46 PM

Heating costs/energy efficiency probably come into it.

David Lock 20 May 2007 03:48 PM

Cos it makes the walls longer :D

Turbohot 20 May 2007 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 6943105)
Cos it makes the walls longer :D

Yeah! You will have to use more bricks to have higher walls. You will have to spend more money on buying taller ladders. Changing bulbs in the chandeliers will be pain in the @rse :mad: Each time you talk to the wife, neighbours will think you are shouting at her. The echo will make your sex life quite open to your little kids sleeping in the next room:( Each time you pull a toilet chain, it will feel like a cyclone in the house!:D

High ceilings are a nono because of many reasons.

Deep Singh 20 May 2007 04:03 PM

Obviously high ceilings mean higher costs (all other things being equal), but that is a matter of choice. It doesn't stop people buying period homes, in many areas inc mine they command a premium over similar sized newer ones.

What I'm trying to ask is, forget the cost but are there planning (maybe energy related) issues that prevent new builds having high ceilings?

Ta

PaulC72 20 May 2007 04:16 PM

it might also be something to do with plot sizes and allowable m2 within such plots which again all equats to construction cost, people these days do not want high ceilings or large back gardens due to the fact of higher maintanance and bill costs

David Lock 20 May 2007 04:30 PM

If it's just m2 that is floor area so you can go as high as you like.

I had an 1890's house in London with high ceilings and I loved it!

Christmas trees get pricey though :) dl

Freak 20 May 2007 05:25 PM

Same reason all these lego house have tiny garages, tiny rooms, doors that spring shut on their own and a multitude of other stupid things.
They are ****e in otherwords.

Deep Singh 20 May 2007 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by PaulC72 (Post 6943161)
it might also be something to do with plot sizes and allowable m2 within such plots which again all equats to construction cost, people these days do not want high ceilings or large back gardens due to the fact of higher maintanance and bill costs

I don't know where you live buddy, but in London both the above will add value and are desirable.

logiclee 20 May 2007 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh (Post 6943290)
I don't know where you live buddy, but in London both the above will add value and are desirable.

Ceiling height doesn't bother me but land does.

Warm and cosy does it for me but I do like to have enough room for at least three cars off the road, a garage, pond, patio/decking, lawn etc.etc.

Cheers
Lee

talizman 20 May 2007 06:27 PM

To increase ceiling height, the floor would need to increase by the same ratio which would increase your plot size by about 30% and add god knows how many £££.

Imagine a new build box rom with a 9 foot ceiling! :D

POC 20 May 2007 06:48 PM

Alot of plots these days come with a planning office defined ridge height, this is usualy in keeping with properties in the surrounding area.

Higher ceilings would increase the overall ridge height of the house :)

lordharding 20 May 2007 06:59 PM

thats why i dont like modern houses

mine is a 1927 built one with the nine and a half foot ceilings and its great i also have a MY98 new bunaglow for my retirement home but im not keen on its low ceilings but hey maybe by the time i retire i might have shrunk a few inchs so it wont matter :D:D

high ceilings are great escpecially with nice coving round

Gordo 20 May 2007 09:56 PM

Talizman

I don't understand your logic - how does increasing the ceiling height affect the floor area?

I miss my Victorian house - we can't get them in Surrey :(

Gordo

Spoon 20 May 2007 10:35 PM

They still build them today then call them mosques.

talizman 21 May 2007 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Gordo (Post 6944081)
Talizman

I don't understand your logic - how does increasing the ceiling height affect the floor area?

I miss my Victorian house - we can't get them in Surrey :(

Gordo

Quite simply, IMO, high ceilings in todays tiny room sizes would look out of proportion and ridiculous.

Imagine a box room, say 6 foot x 8 foot with a 9 foot ceiling? It'd feel like a well!

Reffro 21 May 2007 11:01 AM

My parents new build which they bought last October has high ceilings in it. Ground floor has at least 9' ceilings and first floor has the same. The feeling of space is excellent, and it isn't costing much if anymore to heat.

Matt_taylor 21 May 2007 11:10 AM

i work as a architect / technologist,

its mainly planning issues......

Leslie 21 May 2007 12:17 PM

Soon all older houses will be demolished, all gardens will be declared as brown sites and it will all be built on with little square houses all looking just the same as the folk singer said. One HIP will fit them all but we will still have to pay through the nose to get one, even though we would not be allowed to sell the house anyway. Soon they will go full circle and start putting the houses on top of each other and calling them tower blocks again! No complaints will be allowed-about anything. We will be required to report our neighbours to the authorities if they even look as though they might do something wrong, and the police will be fully occupied in guarding the politicians at all times.

Les :(

MJW 21 May 2007 12:22 PM

I work a lot with the construction industry and the new houses these days are utter crap. My house was built in 1910 (properly) and I love the high ceilings. Heating it isn't a problem since I fitted extra insulation and double glazing to the rear elevation. I'm a bit loathe to get rid of my original sash windows on the front though, despite their energy inefficiency

jaytc2003 21 May 2007 12:42 PM

i have a late 2006 house which I moved into this year and the ceilings on that are approx 9" it is a 3 storey house though and is quite big,thats made by elite homes (Iam 6ft 2 and if I stand on tip toes I can touch the ceilings on 2 floors with my arms, however cant quite manage it on the top floor)

The heating to be honest shouldnt be a problem as already mentioned, as you just add insulation between the floors etc, in fact my gas bill is down to £40 per month with EDC from £70 a month in a smallish 2 bed mid terrace.

mr_p1ssed_off 21 May 2007 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by jaytc2003 (Post 6945158)
i have a late 2006 house which I moved into this year and the ceilings on that are approx 9" it is a 3 storey house though and is quite big,thats made by elite homes (Iam 6ft 2 and if I stand on tip toes I can touch the ceilings on 2 floors with my arms, however cant quite manage it on the top floor)

The heating to be honest shouldnt be a problem as already mentioned, as you just add insulation between the floors etc, in fact my gas bill is down to £40 per month with EDC from £70 a month in a smallish 2 bed mid terrace.

WHAT, 9" (inch) ceilings ! ! ! - Is it a dolls house :wonder:

Spoon 21 May 2007 07:37 PM

He has to stand on tip toes with arms stretched too. Me, I could lie on my back after a bluey and reach it. :D

Deep Singh 21 May 2007 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Matt_taylor (Post 6944962)
i work as a architect / technologist,

its mainly planning issues......

Please explain further!

POC; what is ridge height?

Talizman; your comment makes no sense to me!:confused:

jaytc2003 21 May 2007 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by mr_p1ssed_off (Post 6945681)
Is it a dolls house :wonder:

no my house :lol1:

meant 9 foot!! :D

TheGuildfordBeardedLady 21 May 2007 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh (Post 6946497)
Please explain further!

POC; what is ridge height?

Talizman; your comment makes no sense to me!:confused:

Makes a lot of sense to me.

I think the bottom line is - if you want period features (high ceilings are a period feature) Buy a period property.

If you you want a 'four or five bedroom' property that 'ticks all the boxes' then buy a modern dormer windowed bungalow (read - massively over valued rabbit hutch)

kingofturds 21 May 2007 11:26 PM

A lot of these mass build timber framed houses are utter crap:( its sad to see all these old houses being knocked down with beautiful architecture to make way for some cheap timber framed shed.

Last house I rented was a new build timber frame place and I swear the place rattled if the missus was upstairs taking a sh it:eek: every little sound travelled through the house. Give me real bricks and mortar any day:thumb: