ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   How Much In Savings Is A Sensible Amount? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/605817-how-much-in-savings-is-a-sensible-amount.html)

InfractMe 14 May 2007 06:34 PM

How Much In Savings Is A Sensible Amount?

Been told that it should be 3x Monthly Income as an emergency fund.

What do you reckon? I believe that the actual amount doesn't matter - it's the number of months income you need to see you over most disasters.

Jye 14 May 2007 06:36 PM

:D

LordOfTheRings 14 May 2007 06:46 PM

If fully insured agaisnt illness loss of job etc then only for things that the insurance doesnt cover.

50 grand sounds good to me ;)

Mr Twirly 14 May 2007 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by LordOfTheRings (Post 6924368)
If fully insured agaisnt illness loss of job etc then only for things that the insurance doesnt cover.

50 grand sounds good to me ;)

Is that all :eek: . I have at least twice that amount should the unfortunate happen. Ice Cream sales can be a very seasonal business and I have to have some cash put by for those quiet moments :norty:

L33_WRX 14 May 2007 06:53 PM

as much as poss sounds good to me

LordOfTheRings 14 May 2007 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Twirly (Post 6924395)
Is that all :eek: . I have at least twice that amount should the unfortunate happen. Ice Cream sales can be a very seasonal business and I have to have some cash put by for those quiet moments :norty:

well 50k should tie me over for a couple months in case I had a mid life crisis and wanted to squander some money whilst not having another income.

Otherwise insurance has me covered. Once my R8 arrives though I will start saving for 100k savings, for those really rainy days :thumb:

^OPM^ 14 May 2007 08:03 PM

If i only had 50k in savings i would worry that i was becoming poor :norty:

Fuzz 14 May 2007 08:19 PM

I only dream of having savings.. :p

Andy

^OPM^ 14 May 2007 08:23 PM

3x monthly income is what u should have on instant access-of course u need more then that in total in savings-but rest can be in notice accounts-shares etc

Originally Posted by InfractMe (Post 6924332)
Been told that it should be 3x Monthly Income as an emergency fund.

What do you reckon? I believe that the actual amount doesn't matter - it's the number of months income you need to see you over most disasters.

logiclee 14 May 2007 08:24 PM

I have "Enough" put by so as not to worry too much.

As well as my savings my earnings are protected, I get paid when I'm off, I'm insured well.

And while ever the mortgage is running I'll use any disposable income paying that off.

Should have the mortgage sorted in the next two to three years which will mean paying it up 10 years early without using the endowment I took out in 1990. I'll get whatever that makes in 2017
Unless your savings make more than your debt is costing then pay off your debt and just leave a usable float.

Cheers
Lee

^OPM^ 14 May 2007 08:27 PM

Save save save-that should be everyones daily mantra-its what i do and i will retire very early in life-despite only having average paying jobs all my life. :)

cookstar 14 May 2007 08:28 PM

Savings ? :Suspiciou

J4CKO 14 May 2007 08:47 PM

I am saving like mad at the moment, mainly as my limited company detail needs changing at companies house (Slow) and my bank account isnt set up yet, hence me having 5 weeks of timesheets saved up, nearest I get to saving !

paulr 14 May 2007 09:18 PM

All depends on your attitude to money and risk.

LordOfTheRings 14 May 2007 10:40 PM

the majority of scoobynet dont do saving. They will just rely on loans if they get in trouble. Not clever, a couple more years and you wont be able to do that :D

renny 15 May 2007 06:22 PM

Save like a b@stard,get lots of dosh stashed away.......

Then die early without getting to spend it ! :cuckoo:

pslewis 15 May 2007 07:03 PM

Interesting thread - the amount needs to be enough to get you out of trouble yet not too much to have curtailed your life achieving it.

Petem95 15 May 2007 07:17 PM

The amount surely depends on your outgoings. Enough to cover your essential outgoings for a few months at least sounds sensible.

Anyone, no matter what their circumstances should surely have at least a few thousands in savings as a minimum however.

Thanks to a decade of Labour rule many probably have zero savings, and huge debts instead :Whatever_

CooperS 15 May 2007 07:20 PM

Savings? what the hell is SAVINGS?

hades 15 May 2007 08:50 PM

Personally I like the idea of a big savings "cushion" in an offset account against a mortgage. That way, if you need the money, you can get at it instantly but if you don't, it is minimising the interest you pay (in my case saving me about £250/month or so). Savings account = 40% tax on interest, which makes no sense to me if you're also paying interest on a mortgage - which most people between about 25 and 45 probably are.

For what it's worth, my offset account contains - depending on how you look at it - over a year's take home pay, which is a good 1/4 of my total mortgage balance, or a great deal more than I'd need to buy a brand new STi.