ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Wireless broadband question (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/605431-wireless-broadband-question.html)

New_scooby_04 13 May 2007 11:23 AM

Wireless broadband question

Hi Guys,

Forgive me for being technically ignorant, but I'm a little confused as to exactly what equipment I need to set up a wireless broadband connection on my BT line. I'll shortly be gettting a Core 2 latop, which I understand is wireless ready. I understand I also need a wireless Modem/Router. I only want to have wireless internet access and connect my Xbox to the net. So, how does the set up work? Do I need USB adapters to plug into the laptop, where does the router physically connnect to the phone line etc...

What do I have to plus in where is basically what I'm asking! :)

Any advice much appreciated.

Ns04

mike1210 13 May 2007 12:55 PM

Phone line plugs into the router, with a filter on the socket of course

Laptop is apparently wireless ready so doesnt need any USB adapters, it can make a wireless connection to the router

XBOX can connect via wireless or via a network cable, the latter being the better option:)

jaydut 13 May 2007 01:03 PM

as above hard wire your xbox my brother used wireless on his and the lag was awful when he wired straight in no probs:thumb:

jpor 13 May 2007 02:35 PM

If it helps, from my experience, I would buy a Draytek 2800G ADSL (Broadband) wireless router. With this I have the following connected up:

2 x PCs (Wireless)
1 X PS3 (Wireless)
1 x XBOX360 (Connected via RJ45 LAN cable into the routers 4-way switch)
1 x PC (Connected via RJ45 LAN cable into the routers 4-way switch)
1 x Wii (Wireless)

All working fine on different type of Wireless/LAN network cards. I would certainly stay clear of the Netgear stuff. As I had an absolute nightmare with a Netgear 834PN wireless router.

As with the laptop, this should have a built in wireless network card as standard.

New_scooby_04 14 May 2007 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by jpor (Post 6920622)
If it helps, from my experience, I would buy a Draytek 2800G ADSL (Broadband) wireless router. With this I have the following connected up:

2 x PCs (Wireless)
1 X PS3 (Wireless)
1 x XBOX360 (Connected via RJ45 LAN cable into the routers 4-way switch)
1 x PC (Connected via RJ45 LAN cable into the routers 4-way switch)
1 x Wii (Wireless)

All working fine on different type of Wireless/LAN network cards. I would certainly stay clear of the Netgear stuff. As I had an absolute nightmare with a Netgear 834PN wireless router.

As with the laptop, this should have a built in wireless network card as standard.

Many thanks for the info. There was me thinking Netgear stuff was very good. The one you mention costs quite a bit, but appears to be very highly regarded. I don't want something that is going to make me question why I bothered going to wireless!

ns04

Coffin Dodger 15 May 2007 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by jpor (Post 6920622)
would certainly stay clear of the Netgear stuff. As I had an absolute nightmare with a Netgear 834PN wireless router.

Still got mine :( Utter piece of ****e, drops the ADSL line from time to time (reboot to reconnect), slows to a snails pace whilst using torrents (once again reboot and all if fine and dandy for a while), never been able to get my streaming media box working reliably though may not be due to the router. To top it all off the USB wireless adapter I got with it is just as bad, drops connections, can't handle the throughput, etc. :mad:

Think I'll wait for the proper 802.11n stuff to settle and then get one of them, sensible make like Draytek too.

New_scooby_04 15 May 2007 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 6926170)
Still got mine :( Utter piece of ****e, drops the ADSL line from time to time (reboot to reconnect), slows to a snails pace whilst using torrents (once again reboot and all if fine and dandy for a while), never been able to get my streaming media box working reliably though may not be due to the router. To top it all off the USB wireless adapter I got with it is just as bad, drops connections, can't handle the throughput, etc. :mad:

Think I'll wait for the proper 802.11n stuff to settle and then get one of them, sensible make like Draytek too.

Interesting: just goes to show: popular does not always mean good quality.

I note from forums that experiences like yours don't exactly seem uncommon!

Will look at getting a Draytek one.

Ns04

Nimbus 21 May 2007 03:54 PM

I too have a DrayTek wireless Route (the 2800VG) I have my home PC and XBOX wired and have my work and wife's laptop connect via wireless. Had no problems with it and it is very easy to set up.

Remember to use security on the wireless though, and that any wireless devices are set-up with the same encryption.

kbsub 21 May 2007 04:32 PM

I've had 3 Netgear routers and never had a problem , To be fair though the 834PN does seem to have more than its fair share of problems.
I have the 834N at the moment and no problems :thumb: