ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Another ADSL who has the best deals thread.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/605372-another-adsl-who-has-the-best-deals-thread.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 12 May 2007 11:05 PM

Another ADSL who has the best deals thread....

Looking for a cheap monthly cost with at least 3gb download limit with monthly contract and must support VPN connections (which is why Plusnets £9.99 deal is out)

This is for my parents who still use a 56k modem :brickwall They only browse the web and send/download email. The VPN support is for me so that I can still visit them when I am on call.

The best deal I have found is with Newnet which meets the above for £12.95 a month but doesn't include any hardware.

Anyone know of anything better before I order the Newnet deal for them? I am with Newnet so know they are an excellent ISP and this is also reflected on adslguide.org.uk.

Also whats a good cheap adsl router (no wireless needed)?

mike1210 12 May 2007 11:24 PM

I know people on Newnet also who have praise for them so id stay with that

Broadbandbuyer.co.uk | NETGEAR DG834G v3 Wireless-G ADSL2+ Router

has wireless but that feature only costs like £5 on top of the price so might as well keep it. Router will allow you remotely manage the router and restrict to IP address. You can also open up parents PC for remote desktop and restrict that to IP address as well on the firewall rules. Supports WPA2 if they ever decide to go down the wireless router:)

Bravo2zero_sps 12 May 2007 11:35 PM

Cheers Mike, however my dad sees it that he doesn't it use it much so wont cough up much for hardware :rolleyes: When I told him he would need a new email address he initially said he didn't want broadband lol.

What's this model like:

Broadbandbuyer.co.uk | NETGEAR DM111P Ethernet ADSL2/2+ Modem

mike1210 12 May 2007 11:42 PM

Never used that one but judging by the comments not too hot it would seem. Bit restricting too only having the one output. It's not a router as such so would only support one PC and also has no firewall or VPN support. Defo worth saving the extra for the 834G, much more configurable, far more secure and would save you hassle I'd imagine as well:)

mike1210 12 May 2007 11:45 PM

Broadbandbuyer.co.uk | NETGEAR DG834 v3 ADSL2+ Router

bit cheaper without the wireless:)

Bravo2zero_sps 12 May 2007 11:52 PM

Thanks, will see how far I can push him on price as i'd like him to get the wireless one so I can use my laptop on the sofa :D

jpor 13 May 2007 01:40 AM

Stay clear of Netgear!!!! Have/had the 834pn router, and what a big problem it was. I would look at another manufacturer. If switching to broadband. Don't the suppliers give you a free router anyhow?

mike1210 13 May 2007 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by jpor (Post 6919879)
Stay clear of Netgear!!!! Have/had the 834pn router, and what a big problem it was. I would look at another manufacturer. If switching to broadband. Don't the suppliers give you a free router anyhow?

I'd have to disagree with that:nono: , I've set up several of these for home workers and the like where I work, not one problem. Unlike the Linksys routers which were far too unreliable. I've never used the 834PN though:)

James Neill 13 May 2007 10:17 AM

Well I have a netgear DG834GT and it's perfect.

Bravo2zero_sps 18 May 2007 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by mike1210 (Post 6919612)
I know people on Newnet also who have praise for them so id stay with that

Broadbandbuyer.co.uk | NETGEAR DG834G v3 Wireless-G ADSL2+ Router

has wireless but that feature only costs like £5 on top of the price so might as well keep it. Router will allow you remotely manage the router and restrict to IP address. You can also open up parents PC for remote desktop and restrict that to IP address as well on the firewall rules. Supports WPA2 if they ever decide to go down the wireless router:)

Talked him into getting the above router so thanks for that :thumb:

Coffin Dodger 18 May 2007 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by mike1210 (Post 6919883)
I've never used the 834PN though:)

Therein lies the problem, I've got a 834PN and it's sh*te :D

mike1210 18 May 2007 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 6937084)
Therein lies the problem, I've got a 834PN and it's sh*te :D

yeah it seems it's not one of thier better ones, the base 834 mind i've set up for several people without problems. Home routers will always be hot and miss to be honest. Linksys and Netgear being the marmite of networks, some love em....some hate em

jaytc2003 18 May 2007 12:31 PM

have your parents got sky tv? if so you can get broadband dirt cheap and they supply the router as well which is a badged netgear with sky firmware (there are tools to get the username and allow you to flash to other firmwares) think the packages are called base mid and max and I am sure it is free for base, £5 for mid, and £10 for max (Iam max and it is the best broadband I have had)

Bravo2zero_sps 18 May 2007 01:13 PM

Yes they have Sky but Sky is not going to be providing the free broadband in their area, I have checked and checked and checked again and they are not doing it. Must be something to do with living in a village, perhaps not enough demand for Sky to put it in, they were only offering their £17 a month deal for their postcode.