ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Lord of the Rings - go and see it NOW! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/60526-lord-of-the-rings-go-and-see-it-now.html)

AndrewW 19 December 2001 02:47 PM

Unless you haven't read the books yet, in which case you better get cracking :D

Wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I took the day off today to go and watch.

I have been waiting for this even more than I had for Phanton Menace, and I am happy to report that LOTR actually delivers more than was promised :)

Saw it at 10am, going back at 8 tonight to introduce my wife to the world of Tolkien. Got to wean her of this Harry Potter guff :)

Andrew.

KimA 19 December 2001 02:49 PM

Excellent :D I started to read the book yesterday (embarrassed to admit that I'd never read this before now). We're booked to go and see it next Thursday - can't wait :D :D

chiark 19 December 2001 02:51 PM

Superb - I'll get tickets for ASAP then and bore the wife to tears :D

roadrunner 19 December 2001 02:54 PM

Will be seeing LoTR this Thurs...... cant wait :D :D

Mossman 19 December 2001 03:14 PM

7pm tonight! Cannot wait!!
:)

MichelleWRX1994 19 December 2001 07:21 PM

Well I must be one of the anoraks of LOTR, I had the book given to me when I was 11 and have read it a total of 8 times I think, I nearly know it off by heart LOL

I remain skeptical about the film, but nevertheless I do really, really want to see it!!!! I really hope they did Tolkien proud. He has to be novelist of the millenium......IMHO

CRAFT 19 December 2001 07:39 PM

Yep, got my tickets for friday, had them ages now since 19th nov
Marking the days off on the calendar, can't wait, oooooohhh, I'm gettin' all excited now, 2 nights to go:D

CRAFThttp://www.contrabandent.com/pez//otn/wink/thumb.gif

BTW, chelle'...8 times, your a bit of a light weight, is that all:rolleyes:
I had read the book before I learned to walk:D
Just finished reading the books 3 times back to back:eek: and never get bored:D Trying to get through the silmarillion again....
like I said, trying:rolleyes:

MichelleWRX1994 19 December 2001 08:39 PM

I find The Silmarillion hard going!!!

The LOTR though, (I have the hard back copy still in its original packaging ;)) I read time and again :D

I love it :D

Mr.Cookie 20 December 2001 01:18 AM

Very very good not happy about a few missing things but then so much happens in the books you've got to lose somethings i supppose hoo hum ;)
Fantastic choice of cast in my opinion, with some great scenery and awesome battles sequence's going again saturday, just to make sure ;) :D

Si

philc 20 December 2001 08:13 AM

good to read that the film is not a bomb - a lot of it was filmed round here and there's a lot of local pride riding on it; they've even re-named the local evening newspaper 'Middle Earth Post' for the week and renamed Wellington as 'Middle Earth'.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,0a10,FF.html

I'll go see it next week - assuming that this week the cinemas are going to full of local people pointing at the screen going .. 'look, that's me, third soldier on the left !!!'

Being hired as an extra was the thing to do when filming was going on last year.

adamp 20 December 2001 08:53 AM

Wow, wow and wow again. Possibly one of the most visually stunning films I have ever seen. For all of you who love the books and are afraid that Peter Jackson has cocked it up, don't be. Casting, sets and atmosphere were all superb and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has read the books or not.

Obviously in order to make it into a film for the masses and not only Tolkien fans, they had to take a few liberties but they are few and far between!!

Mossman 20 December 2001 08:56 AM

Superb! Thoroughly enjoyed it and re. the length, pretty much spot on, but as people have already said, there's a lot to fit in!
I thought the sets were the best bit, especially the ork/goblin mines!
Cheers,

Mossman
:)

zoog 20 December 2001 09:19 AM

Can't wait to see it as I m a big film buff, even though I never got into LOTR at school, always thought it was for nerds.

It has universal praise from the critics and the public as far as I can see.

TonyBurns 20 December 2001 11:32 AM

Great film :D but for all those who have read the book, forget everything that was in the book and look at a great film and just dont compare the two for if your a die hard fan it may disappoint you :(

Tony
(and yes i did enjoy it ;):D:D:D:D:D )

Norman D. Landing 20 December 2001 11:50 AM

"Filmed it round here" ? Pshaw !!

I live in middle earth !! Do a search on Tolkien and the Ribble valley if you dont believe me !! :D :D :D :P

p.s Once you've done you're search (if you're interested :rolleyes: ) I live near Stonyhurst :)

Mr.Cookie 20 December 2001 07:22 PM

Norman

It was filmed in New Zealand for a large part so technically there's now two middle Earth's ;) :p :D

Pshaw

So which extra are you ;) :D

Si

shunty 20 December 2001 07:34 PM

me & my family are all looking forward to this one, but I prefer to go when it's a bit quieter, so inbetween xmas & newyear for me :) enjoyed HPotter a lot too.

shunty

pumpers 20 December 2001 07:37 PM

can't wait, i've seen harry potter and thought it was crap!! i've been a tolkein fan since i could read!!! i was worried the film might not justify the book and was wondering wether to bother or not. i think u guys have just convinced me!! by the way michelle, i must have read it at least 20 times!! never could manage the full silmarillion though !! what u guys/gals reading now?? i've just got into iain banks who i must say is brilliant. i also like larry niven alot on the sf side and piers anthony on the fantasy side. pumpers.

shunty 20 December 2001 07:47 PM

pumpers - you thought HPotter was crap...why ?? that's a bit rough isn't it?

shunty

DazV 20 December 2001 10:45 PM

Just got back from seeing it - thought it was magnificent. The only disappointment is the end, and thats only because you know you're only 1/3 of the way through The Lord Of The Rings complete story (Fellowship of the Ring being the first of 3 films)

Love it - go see it.

Beware - you're kids may find it pretty scary in places, I know I did!

-DV

InvisibleMan 20 December 2001 11:38 PM

I knew it was going to be a good film when I heard Peter Jackson was going to direct it. :cool:

Viewing the preview tapes, the next two look just as promising! ;) :D

He hasnt done many films, most have been low buget horror flicks. The two renowned zombie gore fests which are still the goriest to date, Bad Taste & Braindead , both of which have the usual wicked NZ humour :D

Pete_UK99 21 December 2001 12:15 PM

Haven't seen Bad taste but Brain deads a classic, couldn't stop laughing all the way through.

Squizz 21 December 2001 01:09 PM

THAT Peter Jackson?!!

Bloody hell - How did he get this gig then?? :eek:

Beemer_Deano 21 December 2001 01:43 PM

Heh heh, I didn't know he did Bad Taste - what a classic!

Have to agree with all on here though, LOTR - TFOTR is a classic. At first I thought the Hobbits not being "Hobbity" enough would put me off.... but no. Excellent.... And the first film I've seen for ages (probably since Star Wars) where grown ups were running to the toilet & back so they didn't miss anything!

Also, the groans from everyone at the end who didn't realise how it was going to finish. I reckon everyone would have happily sat there for nine hours to see it through to the end!

Go see it now! (IMHO :D)

Have a good one,

Deano

[Edited by Beemer_Deano - 12/21/2001 1:45:28 PM]

InvisibleMan 21 December 2001 02:11 PM

ROTFLMAO all the way thru ;):D

THAT mower scene! what a classic ;):D :cool:

MichelleWRX1994 21 December 2001 02:34 PM

Great film but for all those who have read the book, forget everything that was in the book and look at a great film and just dont compare the two for if your a die hard fan it may disappoint you
That is what I am worried about, I am a VERY big fan of his writing and LOTR has to be my all time favourite book, I have read it more times than 8 but that has been more patchy reading to make sure I didn't miss anything out!

can't wait, i've seen harry potter and thought it was crap!! i've been a tolkein fan since i could read!!! i was worried the film might not justify the book and was wondering wether to bother or not. i think u guys have just convinced me!! by the way michelle, i must have read it at least 20 times!! never could manage the full silmarillion though !! what u guys/gals reading now?? i've just got into iain banks who i must say is brilliant. i also like larry niven alot on the sf side and piers anthony on the fantasy side. pumpers.
I don't like the look of Harry Potter and the media as usual have completely ruined it by hyping and hyping and over advertising it to the point where I am sick of hearing about it.

pumpers I am still trying to negotiate the Silmarillion I am going to do it!!! LOL
I also enjoy reading Iain Banks, Arthur C Clarke, Piers Anthony, Terry Pratchett, Anne McCaffrey and Brian Lumley, I have numerous other authors I read, over 300 novels :eek: :D too many to list!
(I also have the complete works of Shakespeare and have read it but don't tell everyone ;))
I have started reading some Maggie Furey books and they are extremely good :D

Out of sheer curiosity I want to see the LOTR film but I am preparing myself for a let down as I have so many expectations for this film. I don't really anyone can do LOTR the true justice it deserves in film form :D

My opinion only :p

Michelle

Edited due to some cracking hungover typos ;) :p

[Edited by MichelleWRX1994 - 12/21/2001 2:36:49 PM]

InvisibleMan 21 December 2001 04:48 PM

I always ignore hype, dont go in expecting a great film, just go in and enjoy the film so no high expectations. StarWars I for example, what a load of balls...

Most media attention goes towards special effects & who gives a toss about the plot. The media has been going on about its SFX while they are great thats not what LOTR is all about, its the storytelling.

My tip of knowing whether a film is going to be good or have an interesting approach to the subject is the DIRECTOR. Peter Jackson certainly has an unusual style which makes him a superb choice.

A disappointment, yes probably to book critics but then again what can you expect from probably one of the greatest books of all time...

MarkJackon 21 December 2001 05:03 PM

I havent seen it yet, its all about wizards and stuff innit, I was sure it was a bio-pic about the life of Michael Barrymore !

InvisibleMan 21 December 2001 08:01 PM

Just seen that Potter geezer, wot a load of pap, well i suppose it was meant for kids.

Though alot of adults seem to be into the books, havent read them myself...

What was all the excitement about? :confused:

InvisibleMan 21 December 2001 08:02 PM

But i think ill see LOTR again sometime next week :)