ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Fitting uprated fuel pump and spark plugs... time required (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/605033-fitting-uprated-fuel-pump-and-spark-plugs-time-required.html)

T123VOR 11 May 2007 05:41 PM

Fitting uprated fuel pump and spark plugs... time required

pre remap I've been told to uprate my fuel pump and spark plugs- car is 04 JDM STI

I've read through a fitting guide and don't fancy it myself !

How long would a garage need (ie how much money) to fit a Walbro 255 and 4 PKR7B's?

My PKR6B's are 2 days old fitted at the 36month service could i sell these on to someone or are they worthless/spares?

:thumb:

SSCJAY 11 May 2007 05:55 PM

I would say a garage would charge 2 hours labour in total, so all depends on the garage.

Subaru £70 per Hour.
Back street Garage £30 per hour.

Both easy jobs, what is it you don't like the look of?

mac12 11 May 2007 06:04 PM

my cars a classic so dont know if much differnce on fitting but i did my walbro in about 30 mins and spark plugs in about 30mins (about an hour and half first time though)
i should imagine a decent garage with all the correct tools and experience should do it in an hour,although they will probably say ita a 2 hours labour job.
not that hard a job really especially if you use guides off here and get someoe to help you, or keep you hands clean and pay the £60-£100 labour.

T123VOR 11 May 2007 06:58 PM

Yeah i heard they were easy - but the guide i found i dont feel comfortable to be honest and i dont fancy bodging a fuel related component up !

I thought they were straight swaps- but the guide I found for the fuel pump seemed to suggest otherwise!

scooby-k 11 May 2007 09:34 PM

will be replacing my fuel pump tomorrow with a bosch one. bit more to modify than dropping a walbro one in but will let you know how long it takes.
fitting your own pump is really not that difficult.
btw.subaru dealer charged me 1 hour labour when replacing plugs on service.
ken

dazdavies 11 May 2007 09:58 PM

This job is a piece of cake.

I'd say the spark plugs are more tricky than the fuel pump.

If you get stuck I have the subaru workshop manual on PDF give me a shout and I'll send you the relevent pages.

Daz

TonyBurns 11 May 2007 10:09 PM

Why upgrade your fuel pump? are you running 400bhp? the standard one is good for 360+, the spark plugs should be 7's anyway, thats whats fitted from the factory, if someone has put 6's in then id take it back to the garage and demand they fit the correct plugs to start with.

Tony:)

EOEUMC 11 May 2007 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by dazdavies (Post 6916755)
This job is a piece of cake.

I'd say the spark plugs are more tricky than the fuel pump.

If you get stuck I have the subaru workshop manual on PDF give me a shout and I'll send you the relevent pages.

Daz

Sorry to hi-jack, but where did you get the PDF from Daz? I have been looking for one for a little while now :thumb:

dazdavies 12 May 2007 12:33 AM

bought it on E-bay mate cost me a fiver. Best fiver I have ever spent I tell thee. :D

At the time I was a complete novice. I rebuilt my own engine and now do all the work on my own car myself.

Daz

cookstar 12 May 2007 12:51 AM

complete new me changed the fuel pump in my newage in prob about an hour being carefull.

Paid to have the spark plugs changed recently but woud do it myslef next time, just need to remove a few parts ie battery to make it easier

T123VOR 12 May 2007 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 6916798)
Why upgrade your fuel pump? are you running 400bhp? the standard one is good for 360+, the spark plugs should be 7's anyway, thats whats fitted from the factory, if someone has put 6's in then id take it back to the garage and demand they fit the correct plugs to start with.

The mapper suggested uprating the fuel pump

Subaru changed the plugs at the last service and it says 6's on the invoice:wonder:

I'd rather not change anything TBH and as usual what I thought was going to be a simple job (ie the remap) has involved modding and uprating:lol1: feeekin car it never ends

pippyrips 12 May 2007 09:13 AM

i thought oe plugs were 6's? Mine certainly were when i uprated to the 7's

TonyBurns 12 May 2007 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by T123VOR (Post 6917578)
The mapper suggested uprating the fuel pump

Subaru changed the plugs at the last service and it says 6's on the invoice:wonder:

I'd rather not change anything TBH and as usual what I thought was going to be a simple job (ie the remap) has involved modding and uprating:lol1: feeekin car it never ends

The JDM Fuel Pump is different to that of a UK car, it can actually handle 360bhp ;) though id also read what webby did to his Spec C to get what his power is, but basically your throwing money away.

Pippyrips, Standard spark plugs on a newage JDM STi are 7's as standard, 6's are for wrx's ;) but I even think that UK STi's have 7's as standard also.

TimH 12 May 2007 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 6918238)
The JDM Fuel Pump is different to that of a UK car, it can actually handle 360bhp ;)

Interesting - didn't realise that. I'll be getting a remap (JDM 05 STi with standard engine apart from Milltek 2.75" sports cat turbo back system, K&N and 3-port solenoid) in 2 weeks and am looking for 350bhp, maybe a little more if they can squeeze it - it has been suggested by a few that I get a new fuel pump to be on the safe side.

Are you 100% sure it's not necessary?

TonyBurns 12 May 2007 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by tim hardisty (Post 6918257)
Interesting - didn't realise that. I'll be getting a remap (JDM 05 STi with standard engine apart from Milltek 2.75" sports cat turbo back system, K&N and 3-port solenoid) in 2 weeks and am looking for 350bhp, maybe a little more if they can squeeze it - it has been suggested by a few that I get a new fuel pump to be on the safe side.

Are you 100% sure it's not necessary?

Most of these cars are pushing 310-320bhp out of the box.
The only car that really needed an upgraded fuelpump was the 2002 UK STi which needed it for the PPP kit, though on a UK car which are 265ps (2ltr) out of the box, going for 350bhp, then id upgrade the fuel pump, on a car pushing 320bhp out of the box and has a totally different fuel pump, no.

PS, there are lots of JDM newage STI owners running 360+bhp on the standard pump ;) just ask about :D

TimH 12 May 2007 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 6918261)
Most of these cars are pushing 310-320bhp out of the box.
The only car that really needed an upgraded fuelpump was the 2002 UK STi which needed it for the PPP kit, though on a UK car which are 265ps (2ltr) out of the box, going for 350bhp, then id upgrade the fuel pump, on a car pushing 320bhp out of the box and has a totally different fuel pump, no.

PS, there are lots of JDM newage STI owners running 360+bhp on the standard pump ;) just ask about :D

Great - you just saved me £80 and some work :D

Cheers!!!!

Arch 12 May 2007 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 6917450)
complete new me changed the fuel pump in my newage in prob about an hour being carefull.

Paid to have the spark plugs changed recently but woud do it myslef next time, just need to remove a few parts ie battery to make it easier

For the passenger side its easier to take the washer bottle out instead of the battery. Remove air filter housing for the drivers side and both sides are then a doddle 30mins.

T123VOR 14 May 2007 02:07 PM

Right Ive spoken to a couple of people- powerstation, other JDM owners and im not going to change the fuel pump or the spark plugs now!!

I should be able to get good enough figures aiming 340/340