ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   HELP!!!!!! please! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/604160-help-please.html)

Gemmajoey 08 May 2007 09:52 AM

HELP!!!!!! please!

Does any one know where the best place in england is to get an engine for my 2.0l sport subaru impreza? I was sold a scoobey with a dud engine, after driving it home which was about 4 miles, not even that, the head gasket blew on the drivers side, so its either get the head skimmed for £1700!!!! or get a new engine, i choose the latter.

So does anyone know any good websites, etc that will also offer warranty or guarentee on the engine?

Thanks

Gemma!

myblackwrx 08 May 2007 10:32 AM

Welcome to the API website they have a good rep for turbo imprezas might be worth speaking to them.
Might be worth asking on .:ImprezaSport.net:. as well

sherlock 08 May 2007 10:33 AM

Hi Gemma,

Have you tried API if you do a search on here you should find they might be able to help.

Sherlock

Fart Man 08 May 2007 10:40 AM

£1700!!?? who quoted you this? :cuckoo:

Binning an engine because of a head gasket seems like madness.

Best talk to Dave :)

Sii 08 May 2007 12:26 PM

Ditto: Try David at API

wrx-kris 08 May 2007 01:17 PM

what area are you in?

Gemmajoey 08 May 2007 01:38 PM

I am in bristol!! hehe

Izzy 08 May 2007 01:46 PM

Try these guys - they've a good reputation, & are not that far from you.....
PowerStation

scoobyschef 08 May 2007 03:01 PM

speak to david at api he will put you right
jim

Mrsscoob 08 May 2007 05:45 PM

Hope you get it sorted Gemma I agree with the guys speak. I don't know Dave but it's best to speak to someone in the no. I was calling round for Re-map prices the other day and was getting quoted totally different to other people ( some garages will try and take women for a ride on the price of a simple problem )
I hope you get it sorted! :) :thumb:

Microstar 08 May 2007 07:05 PM

A head skim would certainly not cost £1700, that's more like the price for a complete engine rebuild - and then some.
I would expect a head repair to come in more like £700.

The 2.0 non-turbo's are not too highly stressed and if you do need a replacement engine (because your present one is totally cooked) then you should be able to get a decent used unit at well under £1000.

Bear in mind that you should try to discover the cause of your present engine's demise - head gasket failure is almost always due to overheating caused by loss of coolant. Checked for blocked/leaking radiator etc etc.

Microstar 08 May 2007 07:07 PM

BTW - I assume you bought the car privately? If you bought it from a trade seller the problem would be for him to fix.

pslewis 08 May 2007 07:13 PM

Head Gasket problem and skim will NOT cost £1700 - nothing like!!

MazingerZ 08 May 2007 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 6905993)
Head Gasket problem and skim will NOT cost £1700 - nothing like!!

did mine for half of that

Scoobyfirsttime 08 May 2007 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Microstar (Post 6905972)
BTW - I assume you bought the car privately? If you bought it from a trade seller the problem would be for him to fix.

Under the Consumer Goods Act an item has to be sold fit for purpose unless otherwise stated. This counts for either trade or private sales, the test is to answer the question "what would a reasonable person expect?".

I would say 4 miles and its dead is not what a resonable person would expect.

Mind you, doing something about it is a different matter.

Darren

Microstar 08 May 2007 10:03 PM

Sale Of Goods Act (1979) applies only to traders, not to private sellers.
There is very little you can do about a duff car bought privately.

The Rig 08 May 2007 10:19 PM

dont forget she has a sport,not turbo !

its typical, i had a sport engine going very cheap,always the way !!