ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Look out you spider haters... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/603100-look-out-you-spider-haters.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 03 May 2007 12:43 PM

Look out you spider haters...

when doing the gardening

Sky News - Spider Alert! False Widow Numbers Grow

New_scooby_04 03 May 2007 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 6891511)

So scary it's being held on a bare hand in the pic!! ;) :D

If we get red backs over here then perhaps I'll raise an eyebrow! :thumb:

Ns04

GazTheHat 03 May 2007 01:35 PM

Nothing a size 10 wouldn't sort out. :lol1:

Abdabz 03 May 2007 02:40 PM

Lets hope they can eat wasps... I hate wasps...

myblackwrx 03 May 2007 03:02 PM

Spider Bite at Kontraband

Not a bite from the above mentioned spider but stiil nasty

markr1963 03 May 2007 03:16 PM

^^^^^
That's a bite from a brown recluse spider from the good ole US of A.
Seriously bad news!

As for fake widows we have real 'uns here, well close rellies any way. Red backs have been (and subsequently eliminated) from our kitchen, bathroom and garage.

White tail spiders are bad mofos too (can cause necrosis) though not had any in our current abode.

Fortunately we don't get funnel webs in WA. That said there's plenty of other things that can kill you.

Mark

MJW 03 May 2007 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by myblackwrx (Post 6891998)
Spider Bite at Kontraband

Not a bite from the above mentioned spider but stiil nasty

:eek: wouldn't want a nip to the underside of the scrotum off one of them !!

alcazar 04 May 2007 11:13 AM

My bro in law found a Redback's web, complete with Redback and about 1000 baby Redbacks, UNDER THE SEAT OF HIS SON'S BMX in Queensland:eek:

Alcazar.........waiting for someone to post pics of a Camel Spider:D

Bravo2zero_sps 04 May 2007 11:17 AM

You asked for it:

http://applematters.com/images/uploads/camelspider.JPG

:D

MJW 04 May 2007 01:10 PM

... and here's a spider camel !

https://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/...pidercamel.jpg

New_scooby_04 04 May 2007 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by MJW (Post 6894239)

You are one ugly mother......

I have a mate in Australia who has frequent encounters with Huntsman Spiders (Big muthas). They're actually very placid and inqusitive though....friendly even. He frequently handles them - never once bitten! They cause a good few fatalities a year though, guess how??

They hide in sun visors! So there you are driving along the M40, it gets a bit sunny, you pull your sun visor down and hey presto, end up with a spider the size of your hand on your lap looking up at you!! I'm not scared of Spiders, but that would put the wind up me!!!

:D As for Redbacks, get yourself a good ole daddy longlegs; they eat em, believe it or not. Turns out ole Daddy-o is the worlds most venemous spider, just that a) it's not aggressive b) even if it were, it's fangs aren't long enough to penetrate human skin!

ns04

Bravo2zero_sps 04 May 2007 01:22 PM

You don't want to swallow a daddy longlegs in your sleep then :lol1:

New_scooby_04 04 May 2007 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 6894278)
You don't want to swallow a daddy longlegs in your sleep then :lol1:

Unless you've also happen to have swallowed a fly earlier in the night?? ;) :D

I don't know why, you'd swallow a fly :lol1:

ns04

davegtt 04 May 2007 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 6894287)
Unless you've also happen to have swallowed a fly earlier in the night?? ;) :D

I don't know why, you'd swallow a fly :lol1:

ns04

wasnt the mouse next :wonder: :D

New_scooby_04 04 May 2007 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 6894299)
wasnt the mouse next :wonder: :D

Hampster......shortly followed by one of the Pet Shop Boys! ;) :D

davegtt 04 May 2007 01:40 PM

:lol1:

root 04 May 2007 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 6894261)
:D As for Redbacks, get yourself a good ole daddy longlegs; they eat em, believe it or not. Turns out ole Daddy-o is the worlds most venemous spider, just that a) it's not aggressive b) even if it were, it's fangs aren't long enough to penetrate human skin!

Sorry to crap on a perfectly good piece of pub banter but this is utter codswallop!

Spider Myths--DaddyLongLegs

As for the false widow, they are one of only a handful of spiders present in the UK that are physically able to inflict a painful bite, however:

a) bites are extremely rare, it is almost impossible to provoke uk resident spiders into biting
b) if you do succeed in getting one to bite you it is extremely rare to suffer any complications whatsoever and indeed it is believed a good proportion of defensive bites are dry (i.e. no envenomation)

New_scooby_04 04 May 2007 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by root (Post 6894850)
Sorry to crap on a perfectly good piece of pub banter but this is utter codswallop!

As for the false widow, they are one of only a handful of spiders present in the UK that are physically able to inflict a painful bite, however:

a) bites are extremely rare, it is almost impossible to provoke uk resident spiders into biting
b) if you do succeed in getting one to bite you it is extremely rare to suffer any complications whatsoever and indeed it is believed a good proportion of defensive bites are dry (i.e. no envenomation)

Huh! You'll be telling me a whale isn't a fish next!!! :razz: ;) :D

I stand corrected!! :thumb:

Ns04

hectic 04 May 2007 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 6895021)
Huh! You'll be telling me a whale isn't a fish next!!! :razz: ;) :D

I stand corrected!! :thumb:

Ns04

Of course it isn't !! its a country to the East of Ireland full of an untamed civilization called Gogs :lol1:

Bravo2zero_sps 04 May 2007 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by root (Post 6894850)

Fantastic, learnt something new there :lol1: I have always since being a kid referred to crane flies as daddy longlegs when in fact its those spindly legged spiders :iamwithst

hectic 04 May 2007 06:24 PM

Crane flies are Bob'owlers...:wonder:
:thumb:

scoobyboy 04 May 2007 10:01 PM

christ i think i have seen one of those false widow things! i was working on a corse i had just brought for the other half doing the discs and pads turned around to get something and heard something fall on to the box of the disc. it was quite loud so went back to have a look and there was this black shiny spider with very pointed legs and no fur on it what so ever it did look evil, it was easy to catch as it was a cold day so it was moving slowly, either that or it had knocked itself out and was just coming round!
any way it didn't see the next day it was just to evil looking!

Clarebabes 04 May 2007 10:15 PM

Why has no one picked up on the fact that everyone is blaming this on Global Warming like it's a fact?

hectic 04 May 2007 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 6895959)
Why has no one picked up on the Fact that everyone is blaming this on Global Warming like it's a Fact?

is that a trick question :wonder:

Clarebabes 04 May 2007 10:19 PM

Er no, but on GMTV this morning and in that article, they are blaming the spider's appearance on Global Warming. That's a fact :)

hectic 04 May 2007 10:22 PM

cos it was on Gmtv?
my missus believes everything they say, too.. and that bloody Lorraine :Whatever_

Bravo2zero_sps 04 May 2007 10:27 PM

:lol1:

Clarebabes 04 May 2007 10:29 PM

I don't believe everything they say, but you've got to think about all the people that do. Global warming has gone from a possibility to a FACT due to stuff like this!

Clarebabes 04 May 2007 10:30 PM

Wind me up if you like, I'm still in mourning over my fish :(

hectic 04 May 2007 10:30 PM

Was it a silver fish?