ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Track Days & National Events (https://www.scoobynet.com/track-days-and-national-events-25/)
-   -   Trackday costs and questions. (https://www.scoobynet.com/track-days-and-national-events-25/60310-trackday-costs-and-questions.html)

Markus 18 December 2001 01:12 PM

Guess this question is really aimed that those of you who 'live' on the track, eg; Stef, and others I can't think of at the moment.

I've read a few things by various people, and know that the true cost of a trackday is roughly 500 - 800 quid, maybe more, this includes trackday cost, fuel, tyres, brakes, fluids, etc...

Can someone (Stef?) say that the above is pretty much true?

the other question I have is what exactly do you guys do to the car before and after the trackday, eg; change oil, brake and other fluids, new pads, etc.. what else do you do?

I know that most people may only do one or two days a year but some of you do way more than that and I'm just curious as to what you do before and after to keep the car in tip top shape.

guess I'm after stealing secrets:D for if I ever get my ass onto the track (yeah right! ;))

thanks for any info

Mo 18 December 2001 01:48 PM

Markus,

My costs have been front brakes, circa £1500 for AP kit. The pads lasted 3 track days and are replaced at £100/set. The rears last approx. 2 track days at £50/set.

16" wheels free!

set of slicks £100. The slicks have now lasted me three track days and seem fine for a couple more.

Petrol inc. octane booster approx £100

Insurance, £50

Track day cost £100

Oil change and filter replacement after track day £40

I reckon my day costs around £350 after the initial outlay of the brake kit.

Markus 18 December 2001 02:01 PM

Thanks Mo.

This is one reason why I'm looking at brake upgrade, want to have brakes that will cope with the odd trackday, plus my driving style, which is speed up, stamp on brakes, which is not the best style in the world.

Mo 18 December 2001 02:05 PM

A well sorted brake kit is THE modification for any Impreza.

This would always be my 1st mod. if I had to go through it all again...........

jamesa 18 December 2001 03:41 PM

Markus

Try the Power Engineering site; there is / was a trackday mechanical checklist available there - most helpful. I don`t run the Subaru on the track hence have much lower costs except I pay more insurance than Mo for 5k worth of cover.

Tyre companies (especially Yokohama Motorsport - no relation !)are also good for advice.

Enjoy............

Blue 19 December 2001 11:44 AM

I too think Mo is a little light on the insurance - £80 gets £5k worth of cover. I don't necessarily change my oil especially for track days, but do it half way through the service intervals anyway. Again - brakes are the thing to upgrade - or at least the pads. If you have a 'heavy' driving style it'll kill off brakes and tyres double quick - fast but smooth is the way to go (where have I heard that before :D :D )

Markus 19 December 2001 12:00 PM

jamesa, ta mate, will have a look at the PE site.

thanks chaps, most informative info.

kryten 19 December 2001 12:23 PM

As for insurance, it depends whether you can get it as an extension to the road policy. Mine was 80 quid per track day and paid out full cost of the car when I rolled it.

Brakes are the best idea, gives you more confidence when you know they'll be working when you get to the next corner!

Also, be aware that Subaru HAVE refused warranty claims when they know you've been on track - it may turn out to be more expensive than you thought.

Markus 19 December 2001 01:33 PM

kryten,
don't think my policy can be extended, but will check though. Would probably just go to EL and get some trackday insurance anyway.

aso for warranty, not a problem as, a) car is MY94, and b) it's jap import so no IM warranty anyway ;)