ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Scooby Sprint Championship / ScoobyLive (https://www.scoobynet.com/scooby-sprint-championship-scoobylive-421/)
-   -   Whats the best way to launch the subi at SSO? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scooby-sprint-championship-scoobylive-421/602487-whats-the-best-way-to-launch-the-subi-at-sso.html)

SleeperSy 30 April 2007 07:20 PM

Whats the best way to launch the subi at SSO?

Hi guys,

Never run in a drag race before any tips on getting the launch right?

Sleeper Sy

ex-webby 30 April 2007 07:26 PM

Rev to 5.5k and side step the clutch..... then hold on and pray! :D

mickywrx 30 April 2007 07:27 PM

Asked my mate at, conversation was this:

Me - "So what do I do, then?" :wonder:
SteveC - "Give it death and dump the clutch." :D

skywalker23 30 April 2007 07:32 PM

Feather it around the 3 - 3.5 then floor it wen light changes and just lift clutch real quickly....:)

I got good numbers in my wagon earlier this month using this method at York raceway...:thumb:

Good luck :norty:

SleeperSy 30 April 2007 09:11 PM

Thanks Guy- im just worried about snapping a drive shaft and spending 8 hrs on the back of an AA wagon back to London.

SleeperSy 30 April 2007 09:12 PM

If its a hot day how do you keep the intercooler cool, as all your doing is short runs- do some of you spray it with freeze spray or similar?

Puff The Magic Wagon! 01 May 2007 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by SleeperSy (Post 6883951)
If its a hot day how do you keep the intercooler cool, as all your doing is short runs- do some of you spray it with freeze spray or similar?

Trick I've seen is to get a large cool box and fill it with those plastic containers you put in the freezer for them. Obviously freeze them before you leave to Elvington. Then lay on top of i/cooler between runs. Only obviously works for top mounts.

For front mounts, its keeping them well sprayed with cold water from the cool box, maybe using a plant mister to get a good spread of water.

SleeperSy 01 May 2007 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon! (Post 6884746)
Trick I've seen is to get a large cool box and fill it with those plastic containers you put in the freezer for them. Obviously freeze them before you leave to Elvington. Then lay on top of i/cooler between runs. Only obviously works for top mounts.

For front mounts, its keeping them well sprayed with cold water from the cool box, maybe using a plant mister to get a good spread of water.

Thanks Puff

ex-webby 01 May 2007 06:08 PM

Feather it around 3-3.5k?!?!? NAIL IT! :D

scoobytyson 01 May 2007 06:54 PM

What about the DCCD do you lot leave it in manual or wind it back to the rear more?

ex-webby 01 May 2007 06:55 PM

You should lock it for launch and then whack it all the way to the back once your in 2nd say.

Not that I bother with any of that malarky! :D

Sonic' 01 May 2007 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by SleeperSy (Post 6883943)
Thanks Guy- im just worried about snapping a drive shaft and spending 8 hrs on the back of an AA wagon back to London.

If you fit your turbanator to the AA truck you will be home in 3 hours :thumb:

SleeperSy 01 May 2007 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 6886529)
If you fit your turbanator to the AA truck you will be home in 3 hours :thumb:

Hi Sonic,

Notice your not competing in SSO, funny how the numbers have declined now a normally asperated no lag car has been entered!!!!

What I lack in power, I can make up in throttle response.

A skyline tried it on the other nite with me, Barry was in the passenger seat. The poor skyline owner did not relise I know the minirountabout complex at Pimilco like the back of my hand...

You see knowing your cars limits is more important than sheer power.

bohnjegley 11 May 2007 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by SleeperSy (Post 6887154)
Hi Sonic,

Notice your not competing in SSO, funny how the numbers have declined now a normally asperated no lag car has been entered!!!!

What I lack in power, I can make up in throttle response.

A skyline tried it on the other nite with me, Barry was in the passenger seat. The poor skyline owner did not relise I know the minirountabout complex at Pimilco like the back of my hand...

You see knowing your cars limits is more important than sheer power.

Whereabout's is this minirountabout complex at Pimilco? I have never driven passed it, or should I say through it.

dmc1980 11 May 2007 10:22 PM

co2 fire extinguisher ;) works a treat :)

as for launch, after nearly destroying a clutch last year, im on the side step it method. you should get enough runs in to be able to have a bit of trial and error, just dont feather it too much :)

scottish_jim 12 May 2007 09:17 AM

Well if you're up against a nice blue bugeye with scottish-jim on the side then keep the handbrake on and launch in 2nd gear.

Failing that I usually hover around the 4½ - 5 mark and let the clutch out quickly [usually on the amber light as my reaction times are so slow.]

SleeperSy 12 May 2007 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by bohnjegley (Post 6916573)
Whereabout's is this minirountabout complex at Pimilco? I have never driven passed it, or should I say through it.

Its on the ring road , not technically in Pimilico but me and Barry cruise around there most Friday Saturday Sunday and Tuesday nights (Mondays he works in Blockbusters on the last shift). Let me know if you want to join our posssie.

SleeperSy

bohnjegley 12 May 2007 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by SleeperSy (Post 6917713)
Its on the ring road , not technically in Pimilico but me and Barry cruise around there most Friday Saturday Sunday and Tuesday nights (Mondays he works in Blockbusters on the last shift). Let me know if you want to join our posssie.

SleeperSy

Ring road? what ringroad, A406, north circular? M25 london orbital?

Maybe you where going so fast, you might not of been in Pimlico,
Pimlico London right?

SleeperSy 12 May 2007 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by bohnjegley (Post 6917727)
Ring road? what ringroad, A406, north circular? M25 london orbital?

Maybe you where going so fast, you might not of been in Pimlico,
Pimlico London right?

South Circular- Normally my GL- a Cirtroen AX GT - a 206 1.4 and Barry on his Ducati in the summer.

bohnjegley 12 May 2007 11:37 AM

Have a look at this Sleepy

Google Maps

Might help you find the mini roundabout complex. May be useful for the route to SSO. Watch out for the speed cameras on the M1 mate there average speed jobs.

This might be of use to you, may even be a few on flea-bay

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Car navigation

SleeperSy 12 May 2007 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by bohnjegley (Post 6917935)
Have a look at this Sleepy

Google Maps

Might help you find the mini roundabout complex. May be useful for the route to SSO. Watch out for the speed cameras on the M1 mate there average speed jobs.

This might be of use to you, may even be a few on flea-bay

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Car navigation

Barry rekons GPS is a con - to be fair, he always tells me which way to go, and mostly hes right. He did early morning bread deliveries when he left school, so he knows most of South London pretty well.

Im genna take it easy on the way to SSO - no point snapping a driveshaft on the way there- isnt the A1 a better route?

Ill see what Bazza says.

SleeperSy

bohnjegley 12 May 2007 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by SleeperSy (Post 6917969)
Im genna take it easy on the way to SSO - no point snapping a driveshaft on the way there- isnt the A1 a better route?

Ill see what Bazza says.

SleeperSy

Are you going to be fittting the turbanator at the event or will you keep it on the car on the way there. If it is on the car I would avoid the M1 mate.

SleeperSy 12 May 2007 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by bohnjegley (Post 6917986)
Are you going to be fittting the turbanator at the event or will you keep it on the car on the way there. If it is on the car I would avoid the M1 mate.

Probably leave it on. Barry said to prepare everything this week, and just take it easy on the way up there- probably fill up with 97 fuel on the way. Aparently this gives more power.

Sleeper.

bohnjegley 12 May 2007 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by SleeperSy (Post 6918028)
Probably leave it on. Barry said to prepare everything this week, and just take it easy on the way up there- probably fill up with 97 fuel on the way. Aparently this gives more power.

Sleeper.

97?

:nono:

Overview - Race Fuels

:thumb:

SleeperSy 12 May 2007 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by bohnjegley (Post 6918077)
97?

:nono:

Overview - Race Fuels

:thumb:

Might stick with normal unleaded 95, not sure the extra cost for 97 is worth it- im not getting any more MPG and it cost quite a bit more.

bohnjegley 16 May 2007 09:49 PM

Sleepy,thought I might meetup for a convoy from London but it looks like I am working in Corby the week before so I will be heading from there, look forward to seeing you there,God willing. :thumb:

John

SleeperSy 16 May 2007 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by bohnjegley (Post 6932725)
Sleepy,thought I might meetup for a convoy from London but it looks like I am working in Corby the week before so I will be heading from there, look forward to seeing you there,God willing. :thumb:

John

Hi John,

Yes we are going up on sat morn about 10 getting to York mid afternoon, staying in York City centre as this was the only place we could find a hotel room.

BTW my name is sleeper not sleepy. (Sleeper as in car that looks standard but is a street sleeper with a fcuk off big daddy engine).

Me and Barry will see you there on the day.

Sleeper.

alanbell 16 May 2007 11:00 PM

Were you staying in York Si ?? pm > me if you want, Alan.

SleeperSy 16 May 2007 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by alanbell (Post 6933092)
Were you staying in York Si ?? pm > me if you want, Alan.

YHPM

Dill_typeR 17 May 2007 12:15 AM

If you rig up a freeze spray system to use on the line or get a mate to spray it seconds before you launch it may help, otherwise its gonna heat straight back up again in the queue.