ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   A silly question probably in the wrong forum..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/60198-a-silly-question-probably-in-the-wrong-forum.html)

scooby555 17 December 2001 08:32 PM

Is supermarket petrol a big no-no or not ?????
:confused::confused:
:D

MichelleWRX1994 17 December 2001 08:50 PM

I tend to stick to Esso, BP or Shell SUL's personally

FLAT ERIC 17 December 2001 09:12 PM

Hi scooby555
I hope this helps .My mate suffered power loss in his Calibra Turbo.Network Q sorted it under warranty.Garage said cheap fuel(Sainsburys)had fouled something in the injection system.Like grub,you get out what you put in.Steer clear of junk food.I use SUL so have to stick to the big boys as well.

Mark

Julian Blowseed 17 December 2001 09:33 PM

I hope this is of help. I know a man called MAtt who can be found on this forum. He was telling me that he drove his car to a supermarket to fill up and as he drove away hoards of people were laughing and pointing at his car and he found he couldn't go any faster than a mini.

The problem? He was driving a pensioners car that the manufacturers had sellotaped spoilers all over and called it a WRX!! What a ****!!!

jason77 17 December 2001 09:43 PM

likewise...

a couple of guys i know have used a supermarket petrol filling station and severe trouble... the cause??? crappy petrol with some gritty stuff in it... blocked an injector...

I usual use shell SUL, syaing that tho i'm running an Alfa 155 :)

Jase

MichelleWRX1994 17 December 2001 10:26 PM

sellotaped spoilers
I think you have a fettish about these Julian ;) :p

astraboy 17 December 2001 11:49 PM

He's just bitter cos he's driving a car which looks like a tit.
Insert the phrase <makes him> where you like in the above sentence.:D
astraboy.

Tractor 18 December 2001 10:12 AM

Julian, you need a humour injection mate....... if another of your posts fails to make me laugh again, I will have to have a word with the moderators ;)

Reffro 18 December 2001 10:22 AM

Hate to say it but the fuel the supermarkets get is no different to fuel companies. It may not have some of the additives that some companies like to add, but the basic fuel is exactly the same. Its all drawn out of the same bunkers at the fuel depots. And before you ask, yes, I did work for a fuel company, Mobil in my case, so I do know where supermarkets get there fuel from.

Paul Swarbrick 18 December 2001 10:38 AM

As Reffro says, the base fuel is all drawn from the same bunkers. The different fuel companies have their own additive packages which the tanker drivers add using a smart card at the refineries when loading. The packages that some of the supermarkets use are generally not as good as those used by the big companies like Shell, BP, Esso etc. The worst are some of the small independants - some of whom use as few additives as they can get away with to save on the cost so steer well clear of them!!

Paul
(Shell Research)

SJobson 18 December 2001 10:58 AM

Amusingly, I am forced to use Sainsbury's to get my SUL since two local garages are being refurbished (therefore shut at present) and the only other one doesn't do SUL. No problems with it at all.

FLAT ERIC 18 December 2001 10:28 PM

Ooh Er SJobson
I think the effect is cumulative,so be prepared.And keep your breakdown cover paid up.

Mark

MichelleWRX1994 19 December 2001 01:11 AM

Although I steer well clear of Optimax now as I have had running problems with my car that have got better after switching back to normal SUL.......

dsmith 19 December 2001 01:23 AM

I've run my MY95 UK Turbo on whatevers been closest when I need to fill up for the last 3 years with no probs at all.

Been using optimax for the last few months (about 90% of the time). Definite improvement in MPG. I can also persuade myself it pulls stronger - just ;)

Supermarket fuel isnt going to kill a UK model. (errr Crossed fingers Smilie)
Any petrol station can give you a dodgy tank full :rolleyes:
I like Optimax :cool:

Deano

Matt_H 19 December 2001 09:25 AM

...Julian seems to have a nasty obsession with my good self..oh dear.. :D

Matt.

p.s shut it Julian - you nonce.

MichelleWRX1994 19 December 2001 09:34 AM

Watch out Matt looks like you have your very own top of the range male stalker ;)

His obsession with sellotaped spoilers worries me though, don't ever let him get hold of you......... ;)

Matt_H 19 December 2001 09:39 AM

my god Michelle I think you might be right... maybe I should call
in the authorities. Tell them to look out for a quaffered perfumed ponce in a car looking like a jelly mould...probably with the windows down as they tend to break...

:D

Matt.

p.s top of the range???!! hardly! :D