ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   No MOT (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/600578-no-mot.html)

fatharry 22 April 2007 09:10 PM

No MOT

Thinking out loud what would happen if the following were true

Used my Moms car last friday to go to London and today found out today that the car has no MOT (she knew I was using the car and thought it had been moted at the garage last week, but they only fixed the fuel problem on the car and didn't mot it like they were asked. My sister picked the car up without knowing what we had asked to be done.)

Went into the center so i paid the congestion charge on the net.

My question is will the congestion charge people know the car had no MOT an if what can i expect fine or points?

Car is now off the road and i will be phoning the garage first thing in the morning

SteveScooby 22 April 2007 09:17 PM

it's a £60 fine, no points as far as I know mate

Luminous 22 April 2007 09:27 PM

You are allowed to drive a car that does not have an MOT to an MOT testing station.

Don't know if you can make use of that fact to help you out.

fatharry 22 April 2007 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Luminous (Post 6859164)
You are allowed to drive a car that does not have an MOT to an MOT testing station.

Don't know if you can make use of that fact to help you out.

Might to a bit hard to make that stick as I live in Worcestershire not London!:lol1:

255 mile round trip for a MOT!

Cheers anyway

SteveScooby 22 April 2007 09:38 PM

I don't think the MOT database has been uploaded on to the ANPR system yet, could be wrong though

Luminous 22 April 2007 09:41 PM

Hmm, the 255 mile round trip is an issue. You could of course have been staying near London, therefore took it to a garage there. It will be pushing it though :(

bob r 22 April 2007 10:41 PM

Ultimately a court summons for the driver, then 3 points and a fine.
If you decide to blaim everybody else apart from yourself then they may get in trouble also.(your mum and sister)

If you have paid the congestion charge I can't see any proceedings though.

stevenrsturbo 22 April 2007 11:00 PM

why a fine ???
No mot carries only a fine up to 1000 in extreme circumstances ?
normally a 45 instant payment or 90 after 14 days,
however it could be argues as car wasnt fit for road use, insurance is invalid and you could face 6-12 points for this,

Bubba po 22 April 2007 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Luminous (Post 6859164)

Only if you're booked in. :)

unclebuck 22 April 2007 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by fatharry (Post 6859079)
she knew I was using the car and thought it had been moted at the garage last week, but they only fixed the fuel problem on the car and didn't mot it like they were asked. My sister picked the car up without knowing what we had asked to be done

Yea - pull the other one....

:lol1:

jaytc2003 22 April 2007 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by stevenrsturbo (Post 6859769)
however it could be argues as car wasnt fit for road use, insurance is invalid and you could face 6-12 points for this,

an mot is only valid in the mot testing station. Its a government way of more money from motorists. As soon as you leave the mot testing station, you could hit a pot hole damaging suspension and be damaged in a way so that it isnt fit for road use

pimmo2000 23 April 2007 01:17 AM

They have no reason to check your car, I'd not worry about it!

Leslie 23 April 2007 03:54 PM

I would have thought that having got your money that will be all that they are interested in. They can't personally get any more cash from you over the MOT anyway.

Les