ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Odd question. . . (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/599335-odd-question.html)

BlkKnight 17 April 2007 02:53 PM

Odd question. . .

Seller sells an item and sends it by post.

Buyer pays for Special Delivery insurance.

> Royal Mail lose item.

> Seller puts in claim.

> Claim fails.

> Seller says won't pay out money as the item has been lost through no fault of their own. The outcome of the claim was out of their control. . .

Surely the seller is legally obliged to refund the purchaser?

Reffro 17 April 2007 02:56 PM

Yes.

fast bloke 17 April 2007 02:59 PM

How does the claim fail?

DCI Gene Hunt 17 April 2007 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by fast bloke (Post 6844284)
How does the claim fail?

No insurance paid for ;)

BlkKnight 17 April 2007 03:03 PM

Just anticipating the worse outcome.

I smell fraud.

OllyK 17 April 2007 03:06 PM

I would say it's all down to the reason why the claim failed. If the original item was worth less than £32 is automatically insured by RM anyway.

davegtt 17 April 2007 03:09 PM

Yeah we need to know why the claim failed.

BlkKnight 17 April 2007 03:09 PM

There is a receipt for the extra SD insurance up to £2500

OllyK 17 April 2007 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by BlkKnight (Post 6844308)
£1500 worth of laptop. . . There is a receipt for the extra SD insurance up to £2500

I'm assuming this was sent signed for? Does this also mean that the PO have a signature for the item and the correct address and hence the failed claim?

DCI Gene Hunt 17 April 2007 03:19 PM

Standard parcel insurance is only up to £500 (isn't it?) :wonder:

wrxcraig 17 April 2007 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by BlkKnight (Post 6844308)
£1500 worth of laptop. . . There is a receipt for the extra SD insurance up to £2500

i have a brand new laptop for sale.
Sony Vaio AR31E Laptop VGNAR31E.CEK From Laptops Direct

BlkKnight 17 April 2007 03:39 PM

That sucks! got anything with the 7950GTX?

David Lock 17 April 2007 05:39 PM

I don't understand this. SD insurance was paid for and you have receipt for this. So was it delivered - what do they say when you phone the tracking number as that should know if it was delivered and signed for?

Was it addressed to a single household where you would have been the one to sign for it? Problem arises if item is posted to an address with many occupants (say a uni Hall of Residence) and anyone can sign for it and then they have a free laptop. I don't know what PO do about this.

In any event I feel that seller is contracted to supply the item to you and if it doesn't arrive then he has to refund. The SD is a back up for him, not you.

Puppetmaster 18 April 2007 12:02 AM

Those electronic signature things can be faked.... signatures can get saved onto a flash drive or sent wirelessly to a laptop. Then later on - they can get reused when it looks like a pricey item - so it appears that someone has signed for the item - when in fact, they haven't.

BlkKnight 18 April 2007 09:42 AM

Currently Royal Mail have said that they recieved the item at the Post office - the SD sticker is in their day book.

They have confirmed that the laptop was put into a "secure bag" which gets taken to the sorting office to be scanned. It is at this point the laptop went missing. . . .

OllyK 18 April 2007 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by BlkKnight (Post 6846275)
Currently Royal Mail have said that they recieved the item at the Post office - the SD sticker is in their day book.

They have confirmed that the laptop was put into a "secure bag" which gets taken to the sorting office to be scanned. It is at this point the laptop went missing. . . .

So they have no proof of delivery? I don't see then, how the claim can fail, unless they are saying you need to give it X days before you can claim and you have currently claimed too early?

BlkKnight 03 May 2007 03:56 PM

Update :) My faith in human nature has been restored!

10 days elapsed without royal mail locating the item.

I've phoned the local postoffice and they say that the item was accepted (bonus).

Reluctantly I asked the seller to send me the proof or postage & receipt for postage - which turned up quickly.

I've since put in a claim with Royal Mail for the cost of an identical replacement NEW laptop.

Cheque for 1.5k arrived this morning

Pedro_79 03 May 2007 04:05 PM

Result :thumb:

David Lock 03 May 2007 04:21 PM

So you made £1000 profit out of this??

BlkKnight 03 May 2007 04:25 PM

It's enough to cover the cost of a replacement laptop identical to the one which they lost / got stolen

Stephb1986 03 May 2007 04:41 PM

i bought a radley handbag off ebay a few weeks ago got it and it was used and there was stains inside it so i sent it back to the seller recorded delivery i did pay £42 for the handbag and it never arrived i have claimed off royal mail and they sent me £34 thats it i was totally disgusted as some theiving **** had it :(

i now send my valuable parcels special delivery instead because its not worth the risk.