ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   gardening question... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/598422-gardening-question.html)

Chip Sengravy 13 April 2007 05:39 PM

gardening question...

Bark chippings :)

I just spread some over an open area in my patio with some plants in and it looks quite good...the soil is a but crap really and always looks dried out.

This got me thinking to do all my other borders as they look equally ****e. I called round at my folks before and some tree surgeons were lopping some trees and mulching all the branches, then tipping them on some wasteland/allottments at the end of the road....

can you use freshly chipped wood on the garden. It will come at my favourite price...FREE! :thumb:

POC 13 April 2007 05:44 PM

Yup, but it will mulch down over time, prob need topping up every year :)

Bark looks better, but FREE is good ;)

Chip Sengravy 13 April 2007 05:58 PM

That's my saturday afternoon taken care of then.

Empty car, loads of bags...shovel!

what would scooby do 13 April 2007 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy (Post 6833871)
That's my saturday afternoon taken care of then.

Empty car, chainsaw, wife, loads of bags...shovel!

:eek2:

Chip Sengravy 13 April 2007 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 6833895)
:eek2:

^ There's a blast from the past....

Who dug you up? :D

what would scooby do 13 April 2007 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy (Post 6833898)
^ There's a blast from the past....

Who dug you up? :D

:cool::thumb:

RB5 314 13 April 2007 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy (Post 6833824)
Bark chippings :)

I just spread some over an open area in my patio with some plants in and it looks quite good...the soil is a but crap really and always looks dried out.

This got me thinking to do all my other borders as they look equally ****e. I called round at my folks before and some tree surgeons were lopping some trees and mulching all the branches, then tipping them on some wasteland/allottments at the end of the road....

can you use freshly chipped wood on the garden. It will come at my favourite price...FREE! :thumb:

Hi there

Wood chippings are a great mulch to be used in your garden, but only on shrub/perennial beds. It will help lock in the moisture of the soil by reducing the evaporation from the soil surface, it will also improve the organic matter and help reduce any compaction of the soil, and more importantly it will help prevent weeds from establishing.

Be careful to avoid using it on any annual beds as it likely to get worked into the soil itself and create a nitrogen deficiency for the more delicate plants.

Hope that helps mate ;)

Chip Sengravy 13 April 2007 07:11 PM

It does, very much. I only have shrubs really anyway. I only really want it to see off the look of the crappy dried out soil. cheers!