ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   unable to reset ECU (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/598404-unable-to-reset-ecu.html)

spit 13 April 2007 04:09 PM

unable to reset ECU

Hi all,
Have a classic and am unable to reset my ECU by connecting the green and black connectors together.
I plug them in but when I switch ignition on,all the lights stay on (check engine,handbrake etc.)so when I press the accelerator to get the check engine light to come on,it is already on.
I am able to read fault codes but unable to reset.
I just replaced my MAF and the car is now running like it should but thought a reset would make it better.
Any ideas?
ta,
Paul

Jolly Green Monster 13 April 2007 04:20 PM

the check engine light should come on..

See the help pages on my website Jolly Green Monster - ECU Mapping

Simon

spit 13 April 2007 05:17 PM

tried that

Just tried that again and no luck.
Did everything and could not get the check engine light to flash telling me the ecu had been reset.
Checked for fault codes and I am getting 23 and 32 but I have just changed my Maf and cannot reset it.
Could try changing the lamda as well but don't think this will let me reset the ecu.
Don't really want to spend mega bucks taking it to subaru getting a diagnostic done.
What I meant earlier was all the lights come on when I switch the ignition on and go out when I start the engine with no leads connected.
Any more ideas?

mafia_boyz 13 April 2007 05:21 PM

would diconnecting the positive point(or the negative point) from the battery... and leave it disconnected for 10 mins.. and reconnect the battery again... this would allow the ecu to go into re-learn mode...

would that help?

young'n wrx 13 April 2007 05:29 PM

when code reading you need to drive the car for a few mins to let it reconise the the new parts. disconect the pugs after you have turned the engine off.

hope this helps c.

spit 13 April 2007 05:30 PM

I'll try

Originally Posted by mafia_boyz (Post 6833786)
would diconnecting the positive point(or the negative point) from the battery... and leave it disconnected for 10 mins.. and reconnect the battery again... this would allow the ecu to go into re-learn mode...

would that help?

I'll try but I have a feeling the ECU will remember the fault codes,I may be wrong.
It's just after spending lots on a rebuild and new sensors getting a bit peeved.
Thanks,
Paul

spit 13 April 2007 05:40 PM

which connectors

Originally Posted by young'n wrx (Post 6833802)
when code reading you need to drive the car for a few mins to let it reconise the the new parts. disconect the pugs after you have turned the engine off.

hope this helps c.

Do you mean just connect the black plugs together(code reading plugs) as opposed to connecting both pairs (for reset) and then go for a drive and then try to read new codes?
Thanks,
Paul

Davros 1979 13 April 2007 06:20 PM

The MAF does reset using the battery disconnect method mentioned earlier.

young'n wrx 13 April 2007 08:52 PM

connect green and black for reset. then go for drive. c