ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   unresonated section for PPP exhaust? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/598129-unresonated-section-for-ppp-exhaust.html)

DAVE-W 12 April 2007 01:58 PM

unresonated section for PPP exhaust?

I've got the PPP fitted on my 03 WRX with the resonated front pipe.

Just wondered if there was an unresonated section available that is compatible with the PPP exhaust?

Dave :cool:

Tone Loc 12 April 2007 03:21 PM

Most will fit... what resonator do you want to replace tho? As part of the PPP the rear CAT is replaced with a resonated pipe but the OEM centre section as standard has a resonator too.

Have a look over on scoobyworlds website which has pics of the exhausts for each year so you can see clearly which bit you want. The straight thru front pipe to replce the decated resonated PPP pipe is about £105 while the centre straight thru pipe to replace the OEM resonated section is about £90.

Not sure which of them silences the exhaust most... any newage PPP owners care to comment? I was thinking of changing the OEM resonated centre pipe myself and leaving my PPP resonated decat pipe in place.

Tony.

scooby,dlm. 12 April 2007 03:23 PM

yes,theres a wide choice,i have the afterburner mid section myself from scoobyworld,if you order in the morning you will get it next day!!put a vortex back box on too,you will be driving with the windows down & the music off,it sounds that good!!:thumb:

scooby,dlm. 12 April 2007 03:26 PM

tony,go for an unresonated mid section,its great!!:thumb:

DAVE-W 12 April 2007 04:37 PM

I want the piece to replace the front section of the PPP exhaust which has the resonator box in it....is this the £105 one from Scoobyworld?

And this fits fine with the diameter of the PPP exhaust on the WRX models does it?

Tone Loc 12 April 2007 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE-W (Post 6830966)
I want the piece to replace the front section of the PPP exhaust which has the resonator box in it....is this the £105 one from Scoobyworld?

And this fits fine with the diameter of the PPP exhaust on the WRX models does it?

Yep, the more expensive pipe is the one that replaces the PPP resonator. It should be 2.5" so will mate fine.... that bit will mate with the OEM downpipe and the OEM centre section tho, not any PPP bits (which will only be the backbox if you change the front pipe).

Have you changed the OEM resonated centre...as i've heard this is the one to change if you want a good deal more noise rather than the PPP resonator ;).

Tony.

DAVE-W 12 April 2007 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tone Loc (Post 6830981)
Yep, the more expensive pipe is the one that replaces the PPP resonator. It should be 2.5" so will mate fine.... that bit will mate with the OEM downpipe and the OEM centre section tho, not any PPP bits (which will only be the backbox if you change the front pipe).

Have you changed the OEM resonated centre...as i've heard this is the one to change if you want a good deal more noise rather than the PPP resonator ;).

Tony.

Bit more noise is just what I'm looking for so it's the replacement for the oem resonated centre section that I want then! :thumb:

Tone Loc 12 April 2007 06:00 PM

Yep... or replace both ;) Personally i'm only considering the OEM resonator as i don't want it as loud as my old classics but just a touch louder that the PPP setup would be nice (plus i don't want to take off any PPP parts so the decat resonated PPP front pipe will stay on mine).

Tony.

B0DSKI 12 April 2007 06:05 PM

Got a Afterburner unresonated centre section from scoobyworld to go with my backbox on MY2 2003 STi PPP. Makes a whole world of difference, it not only sounds superb now but it spins up faster and is less laggy to drive :thumb:

DAVE-W 12 April 2007 06:19 PM

So let me just get this straight.

The PPP on a WRX replaces the back box and the front pipe (which previously had the cat in it) with a pipe with a resonator box in it.

The bit between the front pipe and back box is the section which is on the car from new? (the resonated oem pipe?)

Is that right?

Russellg911 12 April 2007 06:35 PM

On the 03 WRX PPP (ie not the STI PPP) all cats are retained.

The STi version of the PPP included a high flow cat, the WRX version did not.

Tone Loc 12 April 2007 06:48 PM

Spot on Dave...

Russell, the STi has a replacement downpipe with hi flow cat in it which seperates it from the WRX (exhaust wise). But the wrx does come with two new silencers.... i.e a new back box and a resonated front pipe (which was a CAT).

Tony.

Russellg911 12 April 2007 07:26 PM

Ahh cheers Tony

Is that the 3rd section from the left on this diagram (the b/box being the 1st)?

http://www.serianni.net/images/wrx-i...st-diagram.gif

Tone Loc 12 April 2007 07:48 PM

Yep, labled up as the rear cat. That goes on the PPP and is replace with a silenced (resonated) section. So on a MY03-05 PPP of the 3 cats on the car two are retained and one is replaced.

Tony.

Russellg911 12 April 2007 07:55 PM

Superb mate thanks - and to the thread starter, sorry I misinformed you :)