ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The Contender (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/598100-the-contender.html)

wrxcraig 12 April 2007 11:46 AM

The Contender

has anyone seen The Contender before.
On monday night its The Contender, UK vs USA, should be a goodun.

joey_turbo 12 April 2007 12:07 PM

I'm big boxing fan, and enjoyed The Contender series.
The UK vs The US happened all on one night, about two weeks ago in Newcastle. Was some interesting fights. I know about a few of the results, but will wait for it to be aired.

skoobidude 12 April 2007 01:42 PM

Watched the first series and really got into it. Even though the background music was a bit dramatic I still enjoyed it. Use to come home drunk and watch it. Brought a tear to my eye on more than one occasion.. :cry:
Didn't bother with the second series as soon as I realised Sly Stallone wasn't on. Didn't seem to cut it for me without him.
Is sly in the new series?

Nick

CooperS 12 April 2007 02:12 PM

No but I was at the millenium stadium on Saturday to watch Peter Manfredo Jr. get his arse handed to him on a plate by Joe Calzaghe

joey_turbo 12 April 2007 02:47 PM

I was going to see Calzaghe, but didn't get my arse in gear in time. Glad I didn't go now. Was a bit crappy TBH.

CooperS 12 April 2007 03:04 PM

Yeah was over quick but a good laugh on the lash afterwards :D

wrxcraig 12 April 2007 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by CooperS (Post 6830578)
No but I was at the millenium stadium on Saturday to watch Peter Manfredo Jr. get his arse handed to him on a plate by Joe Calzaghe

was that fight on tv, i think manfredo is a good loyal boxer but no match for calzaghe. but imo calzaghe doesnt get the credit he deserves for what he has achieved.

slagmagnet69 12 April 2007 03:51 PM

yep I cant wait

ScoobyDriverWannabe 12 April 2007 04:44 PM

Watched the 1st episode from the new series yesterday

:( all the yanks are wearing newcastle tops to try win the croud over. *cough* scum.

1st fight wasnt too bad but i wont give too much away :)

Would have been much more entertaining if they stuck Barry McGuigan in the ruing with Sugar Ray.

joey_turbo 12 April 2007 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe (Post 6830987)
Watched the 1st episode from the new series yesterday

Didn't know it had been aired yet.

Whats the show like? Ie: Original contender style, boxers background, team challenges etc?

ScoobyDriverWannabe 12 April 2007 04:53 PM

Dont think it has been aired here yet. The internet is your friend :).

Doesnt seem to be any challenges. There was a little bit background about the series and the american fighters taking part and the layout of the series.

Then a piece on each fighter taking part, then straight to the fight. Followed by a couple of interviews afterwards.

Dont know if he was in teh 2nd series of the contender but no sign of stallone in this one.

CooperS 12 April 2007 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by wrxcraig (Post 6830690)
was that fight on tv, i think manfredo is a good loyal boxer but no match for calzaghe. but imo calzaghe doesnt get the credit he deserves for what he has achieved.

Yeah it was on TV, manfredo is a top bloke but was TOTALLY outclassed.

joey_turbo 12 April 2007 06:20 PM

Stallone wasn't in the second series, he was filming Rocky Balboa. I went to an evening with Sugar Ray, last october I think. He said then thats why he wasn't in it, but TBH, I think he has just handed it over to Sugar Ray now. As he's filming again (Rambo 6)

Mogsi 17 April 2007 08:54 AM

Anyone see the 1st fight last night? We ( The UK ) only just got away with that one. Very dull fight until the last round.

Looking forward to the other fights now.

joey_turbo 17 April 2007 10:34 AM

Yeah, was pretty boring. But they do hype them up too much, so you think it will be better than it is. One of the commentators said it was a step up in class for Anthony Smalls. Walter Wright isn't much better, if at all. I just think the TV show may have gone to their head.

Next weeks fight is a good one. Freddy Curiel vs Ross Minter.

Fights to watch out for are the Robin Reid fight, his first one since his defeat to JEff Lacy a couple of years back. Can't remember who he is up against, I don't want to search the net, incase I stumble on the result.
Also Conelious "K-9" Bundrage's fights are normally pretty exciting.

jaytc2003 17 April 2007 11:45 AM

Robin Reid is up against Jesse. Dont like Reid as a person (localish to me) but he was a decent enought boxer ran Calzaghe close. Dont like Jesse either (not so local) so I hope Reid absolutely pummels him. I know Jesse has been boxing recently but he has lost a few of his fights, so unless Reid is very rusty they I expect he will be too good for Jesse

K9 I thought was brilliant, tactically weak, but physically strong (especially for the light middleweight class which I think he is in)

skoobidude 17 April 2007 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by joey_turbo (Post 6831210)
....As he's filming again (Rambo 6)

Rambo 4 mate.

Nick