ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Big thanks to Harvey (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/597884-big-thanks-to-harvey.html)

kenny_mcgee 11 April 2007 12:53 PM

Big thanks to Harvey

Based on feedback from SN (thanks to everyone thats posted its a weath of invaluable info), I bought Harveys full heat wrapped & ported original equipment headers + up pipe for my MY99 uk turbo with Andy G TD05-18g turbo + supporting mods + ECUTEK remap.

After fitting, the car is much more responsive, particularly coming out of corners and roundabouts :-) doesn't have the same lag. More interesting, it makes the car more pleasurable to drive.

I did before and after tests - turbo @ >1 bar at 3k rpm (before this didn't happen until nearer 4k). In addition, its taken over 2.5s off the 4th gear 2-6.5k rpm time - equates to ~15% improvement.

VMAX test has shown top speed to increase as well, by ~10mph.

Would definitely recommend this modification.

1st class, personal service that you simply don't get very often.

Cheers
Kenny

andythejock01wrx 11 April 2007 01:06 PM

Kenny,

Glad to hear things went well. I take it no-one does this in Edinburgh ?

How much did it cost and how long was your car off the road after sending away your headers (or did you buy first and then get a refund when later sending Harvey your std headers ?).

mr hat 11 April 2007 04:57 PM

hi mate where abouts in edinburgh are u? what model is it u drive? im down leith way got a mica blue classic, ive just had harveys headers fitted to mine and im going to see andy f on 1st may for a ecutek map. cheers.

kenny_mcgee 11 April 2007 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx (Post 6827225)
Kenny,

Glad to hear things went well. I take it no-one does this in Edinburgh ?

How much did it cost and how long was your car off the road after sending away your headers (or did you buy first and then get a refund when later sending Harvey your std headers ?).

Andy,
The headers + uppipe was around 380 including shipping plus 100 pound deposit. Harvey sends up the headers + uppipe (while yours are still on) for you to fit to the car. Then you ship down yours once you've fitted his (~13 pounds). So car is in garage for a day at most - do it yourself in a couple of hours maybe less.
It can all be done in less than a week.
Cheers
Kenny

kenny_mcgee 11 April 2007 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by mr hat (Post 6827901)
hi mate where abouts in edinburgh are u? what model is it u drive? im down leith way got a mica blue classic, ive just had harveys headers fitted to mine and im going to see andy f on 1st may for a ecutek map. cheers.

Mr Hat,
I live up in Swanston area - across from hill end near the city by pass.
Mines a dark blue classic - i'll keep an eye out for you as i'm often down at Ocean terminal enjoying a coffee.
I found my car responded very well without a re-map.
Have you already got a map or is this your 1st one?
Cheers
Kenny

Andy.F 11 April 2007 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by kenny_mcgee (Post 6827171)
MY99 uk turbo with Andy G TD05-18g turbo + supporting mods + ECUTEK remap.

Cheers
Kenny

Who's that Andy G bloke Kenny ? ;)

cookstar 11 April 2007 09:00 PM

an imposter :D

andythejock01wrx 11 April 2007 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by kenny_mcgee (Post 6828543)
Andy,
The headers + uppipe was around 380 including shipping plus 100 pound deposit. Harvey sends up the headers + uppipe (while yours are still on) for you to fit to the car. Then you ship down yours once you've fitted his (~13 pounds). So car is in garage for a day at most - do it yourself in a couple of hours maybe less.
It can all be done in less than a week.
Cheers
Kenny

Cheers Kenny.

May go for a little diddly Andy G TD04 Hybrid, which is ok without ported headers. ;)

kenny_mcgee 12 April 2007 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Andy.F (Post 6828597)
Who's that Andy G bloke Kenny ? ;)

Just reread my message - pmsl this morning.
Serves me right for not rereading my post.
I'm glad you saw the funny side Andy G<backspace>F :-)

harvey 15 April 2007 06:38 PM

Thanks for the kind words Kenny.

May go for a little diddly Andy G TD04 Hybrid, which is ok without ported headers.
Porting any Subaru headers will show performance gains regardless of what turbo is fitted. It is the O/E headers and up-pipe that are being improved and that will show gains, even on an otherwisw standard car.