ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Essex Subaru Owners Club (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/)
-   -   AST Adjustable Coilovers ???? Help Needed (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/597148-ast-adjustable-coilovers-help-needed.html)

Diesel_DC 08 April 2007 09:30 AM

AST Adjustable Coilovers ???? Help Needed

Numpty question on it's way :D

What is the difference between coilovers and normal suspension set up?

Are they ok for everyday use or too harsh.

And what are peoples views on them.

Thanks in advance.

David :)

frayz 08 April 2007 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by S600B_DC (Post 6819115)
Numpty question on it's way :D

What is the difference between coilovers and normal suspension set up?

Are they ok for everyday use or too harsh.

And what are peoples views on them.

Thanks in advance.

David :)

Do a search mate.. this requires a massive answer.

Basically..

Coilovers are adjustable in ride height and normally at least one rebound damping adjustment. KW Variant 3's are 2 way adjustable, ony the AST race setup is 3 way adjustable, the road setup is only rebound adjustable. After that youre looking at big bucks for proper suspension, EXE- TC or Motons for example.

The AST road setup IMO are a middle of the road coilover and should be okay for normal road use with reasonable comfort. Steer clear of Teins IMO as these are way too harsh as theyre designed for the JDM.

A good setup would be somethng like the KWs or maybe the EXE-TC setup. Good proper developed suspension at a middle road price,

ASTs are circa £900
KW V3s are circa £1500
EXE-TC fast roads ate circa £2400
Motons are circa £3000

Hope that helps a bit.

Budgie 08 April 2007 01:21 PM

just had mine done
tein super street
lowered and geometry
what a difference
edfc next on shopping list
cost was 1100 fitted:thumb:

budgie

Diesel_DC 08 April 2007 07:29 PM

Thanks guys, just a potential purchase already has this kit on it.:norty:

AllenJ 09 April 2007 05:46 PM

Frayz has explained the technical detail.

I do have the AST on MY04 STi supplied and fitted by powerstation and yes, it makes a hell lot of a difference to the OE springs.
It lowers the car, about 25-30mm, the cornering is steady with no back-end roll, understeer as the techies will call it.
The only annoying thing with the AST, common to all, is the BANG, you get when you 'rush' into a pothole.

3 way adjustable is not really for road use, i believe this is a track set-up. If you are going the powerstation route, for road use, i recommend the T25 setup, for a new-age is the Anti- lift kit, Anti Roll bar, AST springs (12 clicks) and geometry, for classics add drop links to that, circa £1400.

Comfort wise, it depends on the settings which you decide. I currently have mine on soft, which suites my driving + rear passengers don't bounce around as with the OE suspension.

IMHO, money well spent.