ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Cars that 'feel' faster than they are (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/595608-cars-that-feel-faster-than-they-are.html)

LG John 01 April 2007 07:45 PM

Cars that 'feel' faster than they are

List get a wee list going. Cars that perhaps feel quicker than they actually are. In otherwords the thread is largely a measure of pinage :D

I'll start us off:

1. Classic STI's (a real thump in the back in 2nd/3rd gears that make them feel supercar quick!)
2. Ferrari F40 (I've not driven won but I'm led to believe they feel stupidly fast!)

ScoobyDoo555 01 April 2007 08:15 PM

306 GTi6 :D - Wifey's car is a total HOOT!! :D

Dan

swtmerce 01 April 2007 08:27 PM

1. Classic STI's (a real thump in the back in 2nd/3rd gears that make them feel supercar quick!)
2. Ferrari F40 (I've not driven won but I'm led to believe they feel stupidly fast!)
3. 930 Turbo - the old 911 with the 3.3 and four gears. Felt ballistic but no quicker than a 993 Carrera

AJF 01 April 2007 08:57 PM

the f40 once on boost is stupidly quick

Adrian

J4CKO 01 April 2007 10:17 PM

My old Saab !

I think most turbo's feel quicker than they are, a V6 with the same power probably doesnt feel as quick as there isnt that step in power delivery.

J4CKO 01 April 2007 10:20 PM

Also, By any stretch an F40 doesnt feel fast, it simply is, ditto and Sti.

My old MK2 Golf with a Magnex on made a lot of noise, but was as fast as a standard MK2 Golf GTI, i.e. not very.

davyboy 01 April 2007 10:21 PM

How can an F40 feel faster than it is?

It is bloody fast, end of story!

I'll add:

WRX - feels faster than a Clio 172, but isn't.

richs2891 01 April 2007 10:41 PM

Most Catherham's and Westfields - (due to low down, small and miminal protection) others are just plain fast and sometimes scary !

Richard

Blackscooby 01 April 2007 10:48 PM

My brothers old Clan Crusader... based on a Hillman Imp engined thing.
http://www.shorey.net/Auto/Miscellan...usader%202.jpg

Not his.. but same as.
Arse 2 inches off the floor. Impending doom with anything higher than a flea..

Moonloops 01 April 2007 11:35 PM

yeah anything that's low, loud and short wheelbased tends to do it :D

TR7V8 @ 300+ BHP was the best one I had..

LG John 01 April 2007 11:45 PM

Well of course the F40 is fast! But I've heard it feels faster than a Macca F1 despite being slower. True speed is not and should not be the point of this thread. If you think a 1.4 TDI feels faster than it truely is then add it to the list :)

davedipster 02 April 2007 02:55 AM

Old minis, citroen saxos and most town cars, they feel fast but are actually very very slow.

Andy M3 02 April 2007 10:07 AM

My Golf 1.9D is a white knuckle ride!!!!!

Infractfree 02 April 2007 10:26 AM

Most standard-ish Imprezas. Lag and sudden turbo rush make many Impreza owners imagine they are piloting some sort of unbeatable rocket ship. Poor sports that they are they never like to move out of the way when they quickly run out of steam.

CrisPDuk 02 April 2007 11:00 AM

My stepson's Mini 1000 feels as rapid as fook, probably something to do with the big stupid wheels with painted on tyres, the bucket seats that hold your ass about 2" rom the tarmac, and the induction noise from a mesh filtered 1.5" SU about 2' from your left ear:cool:

CrisPDuk 02 April 2007 11:02 AM

Conversely a mate of mine owns a W124 E280 24V Benz estate and at :nono:mph that feels like it's hardly moving, until the time comes when you need to get it round a corner:eek:

Tobisausage 02 April 2007 11:18 AM

Elise, Exige and VX220

Do 80mph in mine with the roof off down a country lane and it feels like you are doing 150mph.

BOBBY G 02 April 2007 02:16 PM

My Veyron feels pretty quick, but it is actually slow as f*&k

what a pointless thread this is.

Gear Head 02 April 2007 02:29 PM

:wonder:

skinters 02 April 2007 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by BOBBY G (Post 6803936)
My Veyron feels pretty quick, but it is actually slow as f*&k

what a pointless thread this is.

Not really - Much time is spent debating nano second differences in performance that will never get used or compared anyway. A big chunk of the fun is the buzz you get from going fast (even if there is no-one else on the road). Reckon Caterhams and the like must be pretty high on this factor.

dan83590 02 April 2007 03:20 PM

Seicento Sporting. Funny as fook.

ollyit 02 April 2007 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Infractfree (Post 6803229)
Most standard-ish Imprezas. Lag and sudden turbo rush make many Impreza owners imagine they are piloting some sort of unbeatable rocket ship. Poor sports that they are they never like to move out of the way when they quickly run out of steam.

well worded, I'm a newbie by the way, had the car for 2 months (1999 uk turbo wagon) - but im so used to the power now, I even thought maybe it had lost power?! -

anyway back on topic now, my uncles sunbeam tiger, 4.3 or 4.7 V8, on big carbs was the NUTS when I was 11! - fastest thing int he world and the awesome noise of course!

Rcomms 02 April 2007 03:36 PM

Drove an E55 AMG for a while, and it DIDN'T feel remotely quick.... until you actually looked at the speedo..... then a slightly puzzled look usually appeared on my face lol.

306 Rallye, felt quick. Pug Sport system made it loud as a loud thing so you knew when it was going fast lol

LG John 02 April 2007 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by skinters (Post 6804045)
Not really - Much time is spent debating nano second differences in performance that will never get used or compared anyway. A big chunk of the fun is the buzz you get from going fast (even if there is no-one else on the road). Reckon Caterhams and the like must be pretty high on this factor.

Thanks - at least someone gets the purpose of the thread. I've not contributed much to keep her alive as I feel not many people are getting the point of the question posed. Actual performance should never come into it - I'm asking about cars that 'feel' fast. They may be actually quite slow or they me be actually very fast.

My STI is faster than my old S2000 but feel massively faster. However, on a roll it's only a little quicker but everytime I drive if I feel as though I've made a monumental upgrade in performance terms when in reality I've not.

dunx 02 April 2007 03:59 PM

Pal James went for a TDI SEAT, and it's a bigger handful, so feels faster, it's about driver input, my Sti "feels" slow up to about 130mph.....

Whereas a ride in a Skyline, it just kept pulling to silly money !!!!! GULP !

The Zohan 02 April 2007 05:21 PM

My old AH Sprite felt faster that it actually was - it was a hoot to drive:)

J4CKO 02 April 2007 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy (Post 6804199)
Thanks - at least someone gets the purpose of the thread. I've not contributed much to keep her alive as I feel not many people are getting the point of the question posed. Actual performance should never come into it - I'm asking about cars that 'feel' fast. They may be actually quite slow or they me be actually very fast.

My STI is faster than my old S2000 but feel massively faster. However, on a roll it's only a little quicker but everytime I drive if I feel as though I've made a monumental upgrade in performance terms when in reality I've not.

Thats just torque versus Vtec, full fat versus diet.

DavidChief 02 April 2007 07:20 PM

Ferrari F40 is very fast, so I should hope it feels so! :P

Turbo cars feel quicker because the *rate* of acceleration changes so quickly. The gradual build up of power from naturally aspirated engines never really give the same thump in the back when you boot it.

MY93WRX 02 April 2007 07:35 PM

My 06 Ibiza FR tdi 130 with its revo remap, 180 Bhp around 305 Lb Ft has a fair kick too it feels fast as thanks to the torque.

Chip Sengravy 02 April 2007 07:43 PM

Triumph Acclaim. Coffin dodger image meets integra handling :)