ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Cost for driveway per m2? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/593414-cost-for-driveway-per-m2.html)

Deep Singh 23 March 2007 11:35 PM

Cost for driveway per m2?

Can someone give me a ball park figure? Assume the whole thing needs to be dug out about 10inches, have hardcore, concrete and then paving/slabs laid to a good standard. What should this cost per m2?

Terminator X 24 March 2007 01:36 AM

How big is your driveway? Will the Gypsies be doing it or a proper builder ;)

TX.

chocolate_o_brian 24 March 2007 08:15 AM

dunno if this will help mr singh, but i had my driveway done about 22 months ago.

now i live in a terrace so its a long thin driveway as i wanted a garage, then an extended piece of concrete leading to a mudtrack then the main road.

basically what i asked for was 10ft by 40ft concrete driveway, with all the under-concrete to be dug up and sorted too. did all this and layed i think about 7-8 inches worth of concrete over two layers from what i remember. im a bit sketchy on the details now, but did an excellent job of it, with a raised part for the garage to go on for extra support.

all this cost me £1200-1300 i think, and it really was an excellent job from a renound and respected local company.

hth

andy

Deep Singh 24 March 2007 09:00 AM

TX, the driveway is 90m2. I have a builder here at the moment building my extension. He has given me a quote for the front drive but it seems expensive.

Thanks Chocolate. Your drive is approx 35m2 so mine is approx 2.5 times as big so should cost say £3.8k. I also have a wall to be demolished and rebuilt and some old steps rebuilt so maybe £4.5k max? He has quoted me quite a bit more than that up to the concrete stage(I'm having it paved so he has quoted that as a seperate charge)
Where abouts in the country are you?

Thanks
Deep

David Lock 24 March 2007 09:48 AM

What do want on the top? Blocks, bricks, plain concrete or whatever? Have you considered a gravel finish? That whitish gravel looks quite good. I've always fancied those white seashells that scrunch when you park the Ferrari :)

Is it fairly flat or on a slope? Depending on your ground conditions I wouldn't think you have to go down 10 inches. May be a concrete screed 4 - 6 inches deep and then whatever you decide on top. dl

pauly 24 March 2007 09:54 AM

where are you mr singh

chocolate_o_brian 24 March 2007 11:00 AM

in in north lincs deep singh.

didnt realise your after a "finish" on top.

basically all mine is, is a concrete under layer about 6 inches thick, and a nice mooth concrete layer around 4 inches thick for where my garage will eventually go, and around 3 inches thick on the drive part. as its on a slope too, i asked for a rough finish, as at the time i didnt have money for paving stones, gravel etc. looks good. if you want i can get a couple piccies, but its nowt special as the garden is in a transitional stage:lol1: :lol1:

andy

Deep Singh 24 March 2007 11:05 AM

DL, don't fancy gravel, I want block/bricks. There is a slope ie my house is a little higher than the street.

Paul, I'm in Essex.

ps why is everyone calling me Mr Singh?:) :wonder:

David Lock 24 March 2007 11:31 AM

Sorry Dr :D

POC 24 March 2007 11:37 AM

Hi Deep, expect a type1 (crushed concrete) base of no less than 150mm, 50mmm sand, then your 60mm driveway blocks, so a dig depth of 260mm across the board.

Block paving is generaly £10 upwards per meter for the blocks themselves.

Based on 90m2:

Waste removal would be approx £600+vat (approx 24 cubic meters removed)

Type1 sub0base would be approx £350+vat (approx 14 cubic meters)

Sand for the 50mm screed base would be £180+vat (approx 4.5 cube)

Then finaly your blocks, we lay a great deal of the Brett Alpha paving (3 sizes laid randomly in lines), this runs at £1485+vat for 90m

Then £50 or so on the kiln dried sand.

Thats basicly the drive itself, then you have edgings, walls, steps ontop, and of course the labour and any machine hire charges :) Labour wise, it generaly runs close to tandem with the material prices, assume around £2k+

HTH :)

Deep Singh 24 March 2007 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by POC (Post 6777489)
Hi Deep, expect a type1 (crushed concrete) base of no less than 150mm, 50mmm sand, then your 60mm driveway blocks, so a dig depth of 260mm across the board.

Block paving is generaly £10 upwards per meter for the blocks themselves.

Based on 90m2:

Waste removal would be approx £600+vat (approx 24 cubic meters removed)

Type1 sub0base would be approx £350+vat (approx 14 cubic meters)

Sand for the 50mm screed base would be £180+vat (approx 4.5 cube)

Then finaly your blocks, we lay a great deal of the Brett Alpha paving (3 sizes laid randomly in lines), this runs at £1485+vat for 90m

Then £50 or so on the kiln dried sand.

Thats basicly the drive itself, then you have edgings, walls, steps ontop, and of course the labour and any machine hire charges :) Labour wise, it generaly runs close to tandem with the material prices, assume around £2k+

HTH :)

Thats very helpful mate. Does the £2k include the cost to lay the paving?
What does the sand do?

Where are you based?

Deep

POC 24 March 2007 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh (Post 6777514)
Thats very helpful mate. Does the £2k include the cost to lay the paving?
What does the sand do?

Where are you based?

Deep

Yes as an overall labour price I would guess £2000ish, that would be start to finish of the whole job (not including any edgings/walling etc you require)

The sand is spread ontop of the compacted type1 base, this is then compacted, screeded so its completely flat and the blocks laid ontop. Kiln dried sand is then brushed into the joints and the whole drive 'whacked' one more time to vibrate the sand into the joints and lock all the blocks together :)

I'm based in and around the Hemel area :)

Paul

J_sca001 24 March 2007 12:04 PM

We had a reputable company do our drive.

120 m2, Dig out, remove, hardcore, sand, blocks = £3300.

£27.50 per m2.

Made a good job, but soured by the fact that one of the labourers took a crap in the back garden!!!

£25.00 to £30.00 per m2 seems about average.

Hope this helps:thumb:

Hoppy 24 March 2007 12:43 PM

My lad does this work. His spec agrees pretty much with POC's as a minimum. Basically, he digs down 1 foot (300mm) as a starter and a lot of his work is re-laying existing drives that have been poorly layed with inadequate foundations by gypos and builders. He says avoid builders doing it - they think they can do anything but there's a lot of skill and experience laying a block drive, especially when it comes to the planning and details.

Also, the biggest cost difference is in the blocks - anything from under a tenner to £30 per m2.

For a total job, he uses a yardstick cost of £50 per m2, but each job is different and this can go up, or down, according to layout, underground pipes, finishing details etc.

Hope this helps.

Richard.

hutton_d 24 March 2007 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh (Post 6777431)
DL, don't fancy gravel, I want block/bricks.

Aaarrrggghhhhhhh! More bl**dy block paving!!! You do realise that this needs looking after? Most of the plonkers around here that have had it done don't do any and there are loads of weeds showing through etc etc

Get some nice tarmac ...

Dave

stevebt 24 March 2007 02:26 PM

im sure i was told by a friend who does blockpaving in the north east the the price usually ranges from around £45-60 m2 so where you live its bound to be in the higher end of the £££ range

Terminator X 24 March 2007 07:31 PM

Gypsies will do it the cheapest with little white specks in it too ...

Tarmac will be cheapest price, followed by concrete then block paving. I'd also estimate the blocks at £50/m2 so say £4-5k all in. £1500 cash for the Gypsies though ...

TX.

Hoppy 24 March 2007 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 6777839)
Aaarrrggghhhhhhh! More bl**dy block paving!!! You do realise that this needs looking after? Most of the plonkers around here that have had it done don't do any and there are loads of weeds showing through etc etc

Get some nice tarmac ...

Dave

Never heard of weed killer ;)

If you don't want weeds, get the blocks sealed. Keeps them clean, too. Only a few quid per m2 if done at the same time, but needs renewing every 2/3 years.

Stencilled concrete is another option and it looks exactly like block paving, but a bit more expensive and, no matter how thick, well reinforced or set with expansion joints, you can get hair-line cracks if you're unlucky. Otherwise though, no weeds.

Tarmac is horrible dirty stuff. Use only if you've got black carpets :lol1:

Richard.

Aquanaut 24 March 2007 07:51 PM

And if you need to have the kerb lowered?

Rumour has it that they will charge £2k just for that and take months to bother to come round and do it.

Anyone had this done?

Deep Singh 24 March 2007 08:00 PM

Thanks guys, I've defo been quoted too much. I'm trying to find the written quote but I'm sure that says ' remove soil, lay hardcore, then lay concrete and then finish of choice' You guys don't tend to mention concrete, or have I misunderstood?

POC is this what you do for a living?

Richard, where is your son based?

Thanks again

POC, is this what you do for a living?

David Lock 24 March 2007 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh (Post 6778487)

' remove soil, lay hardcore, then lay concrete and then finish of choice'

To me that just means you end up with a concrete slab which is smooth (steel floated) or rough, perhaps with a brushed finish.

Anything on top of that, like blocks, is extra.

The guy that gave you that quote is going to do minimal digging, chuck in some old bricks and cat food tins and throw over 2 inches of concrete when you are out. It will then crack the first time Travis Perkins deliver some building material in a heavy truck or the frost gets to it. dl

Hoppy 24 March 2007 09:14 PM

Dr Deep, my son is based south of Peterborough, but often works in North London. Big discount for anybody who will lend him an Evo to take to the 'Ring :D

Richard.

bobsabuilder 24 March 2007 11:00 PM

Typically Block paving is £50 per sq mtr fully inclusive plus £50 extra per manhole cover if there's any in the drive.

And NO I don't do it so not after business!

Bob

stevebt 24 March 2007 11:18 PM

but I'm sure that says ' remove soil, lay hardcore, then lay concrete and then finish of choice' You guys don't tend to mention concrete, or have I misunderstood?

i was on about a block paved drive !! a concrete drive with a pattern put in to it will be cheaper !!

Deep Singh 25 March 2007 10:48 AM

I think you guys have misunderstood me. The quote is

'dig out existing..lay hardcore and concrete with mesh wire =£x. Laying of clients choice of block= £x'

Why is he suggesting to put mesh wire down? Does that help strengthen it? Or does he not know what he is talking about?

Minitrue 25 March 2007 11:03 AM

The 'mesh' will reinforce the concrete. Id get a professional surfacing company in to tarmac it for you, using a mini paver (like a baby Barber Greene) with eight to twelves inches of hardcore, a good six inches of base coat and a decent three inches of top coat. That will last a life time

Jamo 25 March 2007 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Minitrue (Post 6779629)
The 'mesh' will reinforce the concrete. Id get a professional surfacing company in to tarmac it for you, using a mini paver (like a baby Barber Greene) with eight to twelves inches of hardcore, a good six inches of base coat and a decent three inches of top coat. That will last a life time

12 inches of hardcore? thats well ott.

less than half of that is suitable for a driveway, sounds like you have been laying some motorways MoT? :D

POC 25 March 2007 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hoppy (Post 6777607)
My lad does this work. .........He says avoid builders doing it - they think they can do anything but there's a lot of skill and experience laying a block drive, especially when it comes to the planning and details.

Truest thing I have ever seen posted on here! Builders are NOT landscapers!

Originally Posted by Hoppy (Post 6778417)
Never heard of weed killer ;)

If you don't want weeds, get the blocks sealed. Keeps them clean, too. Only a few quid per m2 if done at the same time, but needs renewing every 2/3 years.

Not quite correct, you will never get weeds growing from under the blocks if it has been laid correctly, only debris buid up in the joints will result in moss/weeds. Sweep it off once every couple of weeks and if its been done right then you will not get greenery! :D

Originally Posted by Aquanaut (Post 6778458)
And if you need to have the kerb lowered?

Rumour has it that they will charge £2k just for that and take months to bother to come round and do it.

Anyone had this done?

Close, more like £700-£1k tops :)

Thanks guys, I've defo been quoted too much. I'm trying to find the written quote but I'm sure that says ' remove soil, lay hardcore, then lay concrete and then finish of choice' You guys don't tend to mention concrete, or have I misunderstood?

POC is this what you do for a living?

Richard, where is your son based?

Thanks again

POC, is this what you do for a living?

Yup I own a Landscaping company, well, THE landscaping company ;) :D

No concrete needed, unless you are looking for a concrete drive! The mesh he has mentioned would be laid in the middle of a concrete slab type drive, classy option! ;)

Minitrue 25 March 2007 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by shaggy1973 (Post 6779637)
12 inches of hardcore? thats well ott.

less than half of that is suitable for a driveway, sounds like you have been laying some motorways MoT? :D

Correct! See my "it'll last a lifetime" comment...

Deep Singh 25 March 2007 01:28 PM

POC, would you come as far as Essex? Need front drive(90m2) and back patio (40m2). You might even convince me to spend some money in sorting out my jungle of a garden!

ps I'd obviously want to see some proof of your standard of work (no offence)