ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Bob Rawle and Jap Innovations cured my stutter!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/59337-bob-rawle-and-jap-innovations-cured-my-stutter.html)

RICH WILD 13 December 2001 09:54 AM

Big Thank you to Bob Rawle and Dave and Andy from Jap Innovations,

I've had a problem for ages on my car, stuttering on full boost.
I've got a MY96UK with full decat, induction kit, boost controller, and HKS FCD/AFR.

The problem occured running over 1.0 bar when the car would lurch and stutter intermittently like I was running Kangaroo petrol.

Bob Rawle suggested coil packs which on the early models (he said) were crap and as they get old can't produce enough of a spark at higher boost. He said as a test, alter the standard plug gap to 0.6mm and see if it cures it. It did for a while, but it soon came back, so.....

I changed the coilpacks for new ones and fitted Iridium plugs, courtesy of the guys at Jap and WHAHEY!!! :D

1.2 bar peak and held on standard internals, standard turbo (tdo4) and standard ECU with no chipping! The car is still running well rich so I'm going to try to tweak a bit more out maybe 1.3 or more!!

The car absolutely flies.

Cheers

Rich

Sith 13 December 2001 10:42 AM

Glad it's sorted. I have a MY96 with a TD05. Have you got the very last MY96 with the 97 phase 2 engine?

P.

RICH WILD 13 December 2001 11:29 AM

Oh! Hang on then, I've got it wrong, mines's the bigger pre 97 turbo, is that the Tdo5?

Rich

Ken E 13 December 2001 11:42 AM

Rich

Had the same thing on mine. C & K correctly diagnosed the coil packs and it sorted it - different car.

Ken

RICH WILD 13 December 2001 11:45 AM

Nice one Ken,

Hope your car feels as sweet as mine does now.
Must be a fairly common problem on the pre facelifts?

Rich

Scott.T 13 December 2001 11:59 AM

I have a similar prob on my MY94, most noticable when accelerating away from the line in 1st (although it does occasionally happen is 2nd).

Been thinking of changing the coils for somw time, but as I tried another set (although 2nd hand and looked worse than mine), it made no difference.

Should I bite the bullet and change them £200+ is alot tho', if ti don't fix it.

RICH WILD 13 December 2001 01:35 PM

Scott,

Take your point about the £200+ gamble.

Try Bob's idea of adjusting your plug gap to 0.6mm. If it cures it, chances are it's the coil packs.

Adjusting the plug gap won't cost you a bean, except maybe a set of feeler gauges. That's what I did.

cheers

Rich

Yee 13 December 2001 01:43 PM

Scott
Did you ever sort out the Bosch coil packs, I know you were looking into it.

Mail me as per profile is you wish.

Cheers
Iain :)

Scott.T 13 December 2001 01:45 PM

Tried that already, may of made a slight bit of difference but not really noticeable. Certainly seemed worse with the plug gap at 1.0mm, as have tried 0.6, 0.7 and 1mm.

Can't remember wot it's currently at tho'

Couldn't try your old ones could I, to see if it makes it worse or behave differently ?????

Sith 13 December 2001 02:22 PM

Rich,

Yup, thats a TD05.

I occasionally get the stutter in first, only when very wet. I have noticed reduced power up top in 3rd and this can happen even when the coils are ok. Going to go to dealer and have the select put on the car. Not convinced it's holding boost all the time. No boost gauge so I can't watch it.

Did you get reduced performance all the time or only when the coils were acting up?

P.

RICH WILD 13 December 2001 03:22 PM

Got the problem most but not all of the time.

Also only happened as boost went over 1.0 bar. Sometimes would do 1.2 without bother.

Rich

Ken E 14 December 2001 05:12 PM

Rich

My car was running really well after the coils were done. I got some similar symptoms a few weeks ago and suspected that one of the coils had lost the plot. However, C & K told me they had never had a new one that didn't work and reckoned it was the oxygen sensor. Again they were spot on and the car has been going really well since I had it changed.

I understand the coils are a wear out item on the earlier ones and they can start to give trouble from about 45k or so. C & K stock them all the time they are that commonly replaced. Hopefully I won't have to change them again !

Regards

Ken

Scott.T 14 December 2001 07:30 PM

What's the real cost of these coils i.e what do C&K Charge, as I may well have to buy the Scoob a set as a Christmas Present

dfullerton 14 December 2001 09:32 PM

Any one have a contact no : for C&K

robski 14 December 2001 09:47 PM

Maybe they can work for Gareth from Pop Idol then?

robski

Tone Loc 16 December 2001 02:27 PM

C+K's (aka Subaru Manchester's) number is 0161 224 1431. They've done all work, servicing etc. on my car and i wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Tony.

RICH WILD 17 December 2001 08:54 AM

I think the coils are £50 + vat each.

That's what I paid

cheers
Rich

P.s. I'm now hitting 1.35 bar!

[Edited by RICH WILD - 12/17/2001 8:55:37 AM]

mega_stream 17 December 2001 10:13 AM

Gggggood fff fff fff ffor you :D :p

[Edited by mega_stream - 12/17/2001 10:13:27 AM]

RICH WILD 17 December 2001 10:16 AM

LLLL LLOOOOOO OLLLLLLL @ Mmmmega stttttream :D

Ken E 18 December 2001 01:19 PM

I would have to agree with Tone Loc, highly recommended.

chiark 18 December 2001 04:11 PM

Just a really, really daft question: is 1.35 bar on standard internals not asking for trouble???

I know nothing, but this sounds a lot...

Blackscooby 18 December 2001 04:15 PM

Fantastic ~ 1.35bar .... excellent.

Not completely sure but I think my (ex)UK94 was running some GroupN plugs which cost a fortune (I thought UR Quattro plugs were expensive!) but solved problems with mine "blowing out" the spark a whilst ago when it was running "silly" boost.

Cheers

RICH WILD 19 December 2001 08:59 AM

Last night 1.45 bar!!!

Chiark, I'm running optimax with octane booster and the mixture is showing as well rich. What boost does Andy Tang's monster run, cause he's on standard internals too? I probably am taking a bit of a risk :eek:, but hey, it's fun :D

Cheers
Rich