ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   A few questions from a newbie. (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/591160-a-few-questions-from-a-newbie.html)

renny 15 March 2007 12:37 AM

A few questions from a newbie.

Sorry guys if these questions have been asked before and are very tedious to answer,i did do a search but didn't get any conclusive answers.........

I have a MY07 STI with 550 miles on the clock (it's sooooooo hard running her in!!!).

1. Since i got it i've had this smell,can only be described as burning rubber.It defo aint the tyres and it's the same distinctive smell whether i've been tootling around or giving it a bit.It can be smelled inside and outside.Any ideas ?

2. When coming to a stop,the brakes seem to grind a little,not noticeable when braking harder,just as i'm actually coming to a complete stop.Is this normal ?

3.When weather cold,it seems quite hesitant and jerky,again,is this a 'feature' of the car ?

4. More of a novelty question this...When i change up a gear i can hear like a light whooshing noise,am i right in thinking this is the standard induction kit,doesn't sound like the turbo.

It will be in for it's 1000 mile service soon so would be nice to have a few ideas of causes for 1,2 & 3 so i can mention it to the dealer.

Be gentle ! :notworthy

Cheers

renny 17 March 2007 06:37 AM

Nobody :wonder:

renny 17 March 2007 06:43 AM

:thumb:

scooby276blue 18 March 2007 10:23 PM

it sounds like the car is runing its self in, don't worry so much

s60r 18 March 2007 10:35 PM

hi,

have an 06 wrx with 2100 miles.

just gone thru all this myself!

1. still get it a bit but its slowly going and nothing unusual.

2. had exactly this and was advised to go out and stand on the brakes HARD 5 OR 6 TIMES FROM HIGH SPEED. was dubious about this but it worked. i asked the dealer to check this and they skimmed the disks under warranty and all ok now, but standing on the brakes got rid of the graunching sound.

3. yes they all do it..... my mate 06, mine and 2 others i have driven. goes after 1/2 mile or so, and is a trait of the flat 4.

4. normal, get a green/knn and this gets even better!

enjoy it and safe driving.

cheers.

renny 19 March 2007 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by scooby276blue (Post 6759603)
it sounds like the car is runing its self in, don't worry so much

Not worrying,just curious !

Thanks s60r ,very helpful :thumb:

scooby276blue 19 March 2007 05:23 PM

just enjoy the car, and look forward to moding it up

scooby2.5maz 19 March 2007 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by renny (Post 6748908)
Sorry guys if these questions have been asked before and are very tedious to answer,i did do a search but didn't get any conclusive answers.........

I have a MY07 STI with 550 miles on the clock (it's sooooooo hard running her in!!!).

1. Since i got it i've had this smell,can only be described as burning rubber.It defo aint the tyres and it's the same distinctive smell whether i've been tootling around or giving it a bit.It can be smelled inside and outside.Any ideas ?

2. When coming to a stop,the brakes seem to grind a little,not noticeable when braking harder,just as i'm actually coming to a complete stop.Is this normal ?

3.When weather cold,it seems quite hesitant and jerky,again,is this a 'feature' of the car ?

4. More of a novelty question this...When i change up a gear i can hear like a light whooshing noise,am i right in thinking this is the standard induction kit,doesn't sound like the turbo.

It will be in for it's 1000 mile service soon so would be nice to have a few ideas of causes for 1,2 & 3 so i can mention it to the dealer.

Be gentle ! :notworthy

Cheers

hi there, the burning might be off the engine surface. i too experienced this in septmeber when the car was new. the engine was coated in some sort of sticky stuff. some techies on here might know what its for.

hope this helps a bit :)

renny 20 March 2007 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by scooby2.5maz (Post 6761643)
hi there, the burning might be off the engine surface. i too experienced this in septmeber when the car was new. the engine was coated in some sort of sticky stuff. some techies on here might know what its for.

hope this helps a bit :)

aaaaaaaaaaaaahh,was this sticky stuff like a yellowy green colour?

I have that as well,bloody horrible stuff !

scooby2.5maz 28 March 2007 01:30 AM

thats the one. dont panick. will disapear soon ! :)