ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   ARE TURBO TIMERS WORTH GETTING???? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/591078-are-turbo-timers-worth-getting.html)

drea23 14 March 2007 08:26 PM

ARE TURBO TIMERS WORTH GETTING????

ARE TURBO TIMERS WORTH GETTING????

chris25uk 14 March 2007 11:44 PM

your gonna get a mix on here fella, for me id say yes. just beacuse i dont want to sit in my car when i pull up outside i wanna jump out and go indoors. fact is you shouldnt turn the car str8 off after abit of a run so you either sit in it running or you let the turbo timer do its job while you put the kettle on

Quatto 14 March 2007 11:52 PM

Why people cannot just drive slowly+off boost for the last two or so miles of their journey baffles me LOL.

It saves your turbo, saves fuel, saves the expense of having a turbo timer, save invalidating your alarm's cat1 status due to the turbo timer, saves your insurance company getting in a frazzle about the alarm not being cat1 anymore. I could go on LOL

Zip Boing Arial Whoop 14 March 2007 11:53 PM

No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!
No!

dan83590 15 March 2007 12:01 AM

Had one fitted to my car when I bought it. Never used it. In my opinion a gimmick. 10 secs at tick-over is ample.

-AL- 15 March 2007 12:33 AM

10secs? All depends on how the car has been driven prior to bein turned off.

Fuzz 15 March 2007 01:51 AM

Depends if the road you live on is the "best bit or road to play on" or not..

Quite often I forget to turn in my drive and instead do a flyby and come back ten mins later and pootle in. :D

type36lotus 15 March 2007 02:09 AM

Always heard water cooled turbos do not need timers. The water circulates to the upper tank via convection continuing to cool the bearing after engine shut down. I do still sit for a minute and let things cool down.

Mike

CrisPDuk 15 March 2007 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by -AL- (Post 6748892)
10secs? All depends on how the car has been driven prior to bein turned off.

If you've been ragging the arse of your car immediately before switching it off, a turbo timer is going to make no difference, apart from maybe add to the considerable residual heat building up under the car because the driveline wasn't given time to cool down and now has no airflow over it.

If you've been sensible and driven the last couple of miles at low revs, i.e; off boost and in a taller gear, then switched the car off, the turbo timer is going have no effect because the turbo has already spooled down and the underbody airflow has removed as much residual driveline heat as it's going to:thumb:

Having said that, my scoob has a turbo timer fitted:rolleyes:

1/ because it was free and,
2/ Because it leaves my headlights on long enough for me to see my way up the drive when it's dark;)