ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   London trip where to park free and underground to central?! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/590686-london-trip-where-to-park-free-and-underground-to-central.html)

mikeswrx02 13 March 2007 01:51 PM

London trip where to park free and underground to central?!

Hi all,

I am planning a london trip for 2 days this weekend. I used to park at zone 5 Edware area for free (crap car not my scooby) and the 3 of us buys underground day ticket and travel around london which saves us loads of money and time wasted for parking in the central!!!

Anyone knows an alternative closer zone which has free street parking and near an underground service??? We will be traveling from m6 or M40.

Any info would be nice, cheers.

alcazar 13 March 2007 02:54 PM

When I've gone, I've parked at Potters Bar railway station, which USED to be free, weekends, and bought a rover ticket which gave me my train journey in, and use of trains, buses and underground all day, and cost about £7.

TRAIN from PB is MUCH nicer and quicker than underground too.;)

PB station is about 3 miles from the M25 J24

Alcazar

Freak 13 March 2007 02:59 PM

Hounslow West tube
Flat fee all day (£2 something IIRC)- large car park

mikeswrx02 13 March 2007 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 6743624)
When I've gone, I've parked at Potters Bar railway station, which USED to be free, weekends, and bought a rover ticket which gave me my train journey in, and use of trains, buses and underground all day, and cost about £7.

TRAIN from PB is MUCH nicer and quicker than underground too.;)

PB station is about 3 miles from the M25 J24

Alcazar

cheers for info.:luxhello:

anyone else?

Dave1980 13 March 2007 03:02 PM

if you are going on a weekend a lot of pay and displays are free. i wnet for the day back in january.
i went to hammersmith and parked in a side street that was free on weekends. left the car from 10am till 8pm and it was fine.
always worth asking the locals where the free spots are.
from memory i think it was £5 each for the day ticket on the tube.

if you dont go near the centre there are usually free spaces on saturday and sunday. although dont take it as gospel.

simo 13 March 2007 03:04 PM

Would it not be cheaper to get the train from B'ham and include tube / bus travel around London?

mikeswrx02 13 March 2007 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Freak (Post 6743642)
Hounslow West tube
Flat fee all day (£2 something IIRC)- large car park

Is it a short working distance and what if parked overnight?!
cheers anyways.:luxhello:

mikeswrx02 13 March 2007 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by simo (Post 6743663)
Would it not be cheaper to get the train from B'ham and include tube / bus travel around London?

no!!! Train tickets for 3 will defo be over £60+parking the car in birmingham for 48hrs. Car to london will be much quicker and convenient and max £20 petrol.

Both ways plus underground passes. It will be alot cheaper going by car.

cheers

SJ_Skyline 13 March 2007 03:21 PM

Kings Langley is just off the M25, J20 and goes stright into London Euston. At the moment the car park is free as somebody has stolen the pay and display machine! :lol1:

£13.30 for an off-peak travelcard. :) c.20-25 minutes to Euston.

bugeyeandy 13 March 2007 05:04 PM

Make sure you all get Oyster cards as well. Tube prices are ridiculous now unless you have one. Will save you heaps and doesn't cost anything.
You can get them at any tube station.

Clarebabes 13 March 2007 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by mikeswrx02 (Post 6743699)
no!!! Train tickets for 3 will defo be over £60+parking the car in birmingham for 48hrs. Car to london will be much quicker and convenient and max £20 petrol.

Both ways plus underground passes. It will be alot cheaper going by car.

cheers

Another great incentive to use your car rather than public transport! :brickwall

No wonder we've all got nice cars and usually drive them places when public transport costs so much!

simo 13 March 2007 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 6743708)
. At the moment the car park is free as somebody has stolen the pay and display machine! :lol1:

pmsl :D

ScoobieB 13 March 2007 05:35 PM

Could try Stanmore on the Jubilee line. There is a parking charge but I don't think it is much. It is dead easy to get to from the M1.

Clarebabes 13 March 2007 05:36 PM

I would have said Stanmore too. We've used it a couple of times and it is very convenient. Plus the jubilee line has nice trains on it :)

Nat 13 March 2007 05:50 PM

I always use Stanmore, you can park in the streets near the station for free, i've left cars there all weekend before and they've been fine.

mikeswrx02 13 March 2007 06:00 PM

CHEERS.....:luxhello:
stanmore sounds good, i might give it a try, since edware(my usual spot) is not far!!!
Any more closer locations to inner city?

stevem2k 13 March 2007 06:07 PM

you can park for free in the roads on the southside of southwark street ( nr Borough Market / Tate modern ) all weekend. Nearest tube is London Bridge

mikeswrx02 13 March 2007 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by stevem2k (Post 6744148)
you can park for free in the roads on the southside of southwark street ( nr Borough Market / Tate modern ) all weekend. Nearest tube is London Bridge

Thats wicked info. defo going there then.:luxhello: :luxhello: :luxhello:

stevem2k 13 March 2007 06:56 PM

clarification:

you need to find a parking 'space' , it's just the meters are free on a sat/sun

Parking on yellow/double yellow will result in a parking ticket at best ;)

Angels City Monger 14 March 2007 01:52 PM

Borough Market area is packed at the weekend. Also its a major area to have your car broken into.