ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Clarkson in The Sun today... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/590042-clarkson-in-the-sun-today.html)

HankScorpio 10 March 2007 07:35 PM

Clarkson in The Sun today...

... says Top Gear won't be back in the summer. What's that about...?

greenonedave 10 March 2007 08:07 PM

if the standard of the program continues like the one when they planted seed for oil, and repaired the road, wont be missing much ! it was terrible

34srm 10 March 2007 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by greenonedave (Post 6735906)
if the standard of the program continues like the one when they planted seed for oil, and repaired the road, wont be missing much ! it was terrible

wots wrong with some people was just trying to make a point

bootsy 10 March 2007 08:12 PM

i was thinking the same thing.i wont miss it if they put crap stunts on it again

HankScorpio 10 March 2007 08:36 PM

We've had the debates already, some love, some hate, everyone has an opinion and there's loads of threads discussing.

But JC using his column to say it won't be back in the summer sounds pretty ominous.

CRAIGFIN 10 March 2007 10:46 PM

I'm pretty sure that the people that whinge about Top Gear all still watch it, and will continue to do so, no matter what they air.

People always like to moan about something.

Wish 10 March 2007 11:27 PM

I read that too .... dont sound good does it ?

Chip 11 March 2007 11:27 AM

Sun readers, they'll believe anything:D

Chip

richie001 11 March 2007 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 6737288)
Sun readers, they'll believe anything:D

Chip

came from the main presenter so it doesn't sound good :(

TopBanana 11 March 2007 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by richie001 (Post 6737303)
came from the main presenter so it doesn't sound good :(

He's negotiating in public. Top Gear is now a massive global brand, it won't just disappear. I wouldn't be surprised to see Grade @ ITV bidding for it.

f1_fan 11 March 2007 12:33 PM

Yep, can't help but think (and this is just hypothesis based on watching the show) that the series of Top Gear that has just finished was a bit of a cobbled together mess done simply to prove to the sandal wearing bearded PC do gooders that even after Hammond's accident Top Gear is worth so much to the BBC in terms of global sales that it is almost 'untouchable'. I get the feeling that there was a lot of pressure being applied behind the scenes to dumb down the show which is why it seems to have lost some of it's spark as it didn't leave as much time as it should have for actually making the programme.

If Clarkson has said it won't be back in Summer you can bet your bottom dollar that this is the first move in what could become some seriously protracted negotations to keep the show the way Clarkson et al want it rather than have it interfered with by the do gooders.

Watch this space as they say!

New_scooby_04 11 March 2007 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by TopBanana (Post 6737319)
He's negotiating in public. Top Gear is now a massive global brand, it won't just disappear. I wouldn't be surprised to see Grade @ ITV bidding for it.

BINGO! :thumb: Jezza et al ask for a raise, BBC seem reluctant, JC drops a few comments in public about the future of the show, loads of people write in to express concern, leverage advantage goes to JC. I would like to know how much they're paid! :D

That said, I thought TG was never shown in the summer, Doesn't it usually resume in Sept?

ns04

_Meridian_ 11 March 2007 12:46 PM

I don't think they ever sorted out the issue of where it could be filmed either, did they? AFAIK they are about to be (or have been) banned from filming at the current location (or at least banned from running the cars on the track there).

M

scoobynutta555 11 March 2007 12:50 PM

I feel the same. The show turned into pointless crap.

Luminous 11 March 2007 12:54 PM

Why have they been stopped filming at their current base?

_Meridian_ 11 March 2007 04:40 PM

Locals protested to the council about the noise, and the council slapped in injunction on TG.

M

Ray_li 11 March 2007 05:00 PM

Jezza is TG.

Won't be TG if there was not Jezza :thumb:

HankScorpio 12 March 2007 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by The BBC
Top Gear will return in the summer, the BBC has said - despite host Jeremy Clarkson declaring that it will not.

At the end of the latest series last week, the BBC Two announcer stated the show would be back in the summer.

But in his newspaper column in The Sun, Clarkson said: "Can I just say, here and now, it won't be."

A BBC spokesman responded by saying: "Top Gear will be back. A summer special is planned." A new series would reach screens in the autumn, he added.

Ratings winner

"We're expecting all three boys to present the programmes."

But he refused to give any further details or explain the confusion.

The show made a successful comeback in January, four months after co-host Richard Hammond was involved in a serious high-speed crash while filming.

An estimated eight million people tuned in to see the last episode in the series on Sunday - BBC Two's largest audience for 10 years.

So a bit of confusion then. And "A summer special"....?

CrisPDuk 12 March 2007 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by _Meridian_ (Post 6737753)
Locals protested to the council about the noise, and the council slapped in injunction on TG.

M

I love England:rolleyes: I like the way it's crammed full of Yuppies, Nimbys and Disgusteds of Tunbridge Wells:( Donington suffers from the same problem, the twats move to a village that's famous worldwide for it's race circuit, then complain about the noise of racing cars WTF:confused::mad:

They need to find somewhere in Wales to film it, the locals there are to busy tear-arsing round in night rally cars to complain about other peoples motoring activities:thumb:

RoShamBo 12 March 2007 12:47 PM

That and Dragons Den are the only 2 shows on TV I make a point of watching.

R.

Leslie 12 March 2007 01:33 PM

TG needs to be taken by the throat by a competent producer and turned around to make it as interesting as it always used to be.

Les

lem6 12 March 2007 06:20 PM

top gear is quality,especially the american road trip...much better than road testing a new ferrari hardly anyone can afford!

scooby595 12 March 2007 09:25 PM

saying it's not coming back in the summer, DOESN'T mean it's been banned or won't be back at all. He just said it won't be back in the summer.

Anyone thought that it might be back in Autumn, or Winter or Spring ?? :confused:

Just a thought.

:)

sociophobe 12 March 2007 09:31 PM

Where's unclebuck :Suspiciou

Suresh 12 March 2007 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by lem6 (Post 6740774)
top gear is quality,especially the american road trip...much better than road testing a new ferrari hardly anyone can afford!

That's true, but it has been a bit hit and miss this series. The roadtrip was pre-accident I believe. Once Hammond has fully mended they can spend more time on the 'stories'

Luminous 12 March 2007 09:50 PM

heard on the radio today that Top Gear is indeed not back in the Summer, but a spokesperson from the BBC said it would be back in the Autumn instead :(

mykp 13 March 2007 12:19 AM

Well if top gear doesnt return can I stop paying my TV License?

Its the only thing I watch on the beeb, everything else is either eastenders (sh!t3) or some cheesy talentless t0ssp0t show.

scoobynutta555 13 March 2007 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mykp (Post 6742199)

Its the only thing I watch on the beeb, everything else is either eastenders (sh!t3) or some cheesy talentless t0ssp0t show.

Think TopGear falls into the cheesy talentless t0ssp0t show category :)

New_scooby_04 13 March 2007 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by scooby595 (Post 6741426)
saying it's not coming back in the summer, DOESN'T mean it's been banned or won't be back at all. He just said it won't be back in the summer.

Anyone thought that it might be back in Autumn, or Winter or Spring ?? :confused:

Just a thought.

:)

Yep, see my previous post!! :)

Ns04

richardg 14 March 2007 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by mykp (Post 6742199)

well you could, but most wouldn't advise it. you need a licence if you are using any equipment capable of receiving television broadcasts in your home unfortunately.