ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Career advice??? 360 excavator driving (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/589897-career-advice-360-excavator-driving.html)

vader 10 March 2007 10:29 AM

Career advice??? 360 excavator driving

Hi guys anyone on here drive on for a living??

Can you provide any advice???

Should i take the extra endoresment for a wheeled machine??

all advice appreciated

POC 10 March 2007 10:41 AM

I drive these all the time, usualy the smaller machines though 1.5t, 3t, 5t etc. Cant wait to have a go in one of the really big buggers :D

No advice to offer as such as I dont have any formal training etc.

CooperS 10 March 2007 10:45 AM

When i was younger (13-16) i wanted to make a living out of driving a tracked 360, my uncle was foreman of a quarry and I've had the luck to drive some real beasts. so so much fun but I couldn't do it for a living. My dad drove a wheeled loader shovel and the 360's and had cards for both as they're the 2 that you mainly need.

john_s 10 March 2007 10:51 AM

It's probably worth having the extra endorsement on your card, as some sites will only let you use machines if you have the card. On the other hand, some sites really don't give a toss.

John.

Chip 10 March 2007 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by POC (Post 6734541)

No advice to offer as such as I dont have any formal training etc.

So therefore you are driving them illegally which is fine until you kill someone.

Chip

Chip 10 March 2007 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by vader (Post 6734515)
Hi guys anyone on here drive on for a living??

Can you provide any advice???

Should i take the extra endoresment for a wheeled machine??

all advice appreciated

You'll need to go on a CPCS Approved Course to get your ticket to drive one of these.

CPCS

Chip

David Lock 10 March 2007 11:33 AM

There's a chap around our way drives one. "Cash Point Charlie", I think he is known as :D

POC 10 March 2007 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 6734593)
So therefore you are driving them illegally which is fine until you kill someone.

Chip

That is not correct, I am opeating them on my own private sites, we are fully covered by my insurance services. You only need the cards if you are looking to operate the excavators on health and safty run sites. Thank you.

Minitrue 10 March 2007 10:55 PM

I admire the way that you politely told him to **** off!

Chip 11 March 2007 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by POC (Post 6735794)
That is not correct, I am opeating them on my own private sites, we are fully covered by my insurance services. You only need the cards if you are looking to operate the excavators on health and safty run sites. Thank you.

If you are operating in the UK which I assume you are, then whatever site you are on will be covered by H&S regulations. Private sites are not exempt from this. You also have a duty of care to all persons working with or around you as well. Thank you!

Chip

POC 11 March 2007 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 6737298)
If you are operating in the UK which I assume you are, then whatever site you are on will be covered by H&S regulations. Private sites are not exempt from this. You also have a duty of care to all persons working with or around you as well. Thank you!

Chip

Doesnt mean you need a ticket to operate the machinery, and it certainly doesnt mean you are unsafe if dont have one. Joe Bloggs public can go and hire one for the weekend. H&S is always a factor and saftey is top of the list when the machines are on-site, hi-vis/banksmen are compuls. I like the way you assume I have no idea of saftey etc just because I dont have a peice of paper!

Chip 11 March 2007 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by POC (Post 6737310)
I like the way you assume I have no idea of saftey etc just because I dont have a peice of paper!

I don't. A piece of paper will not make you safer at all, it just covers your arse if anything does go wrong.

Chip

POC 11 March 2007 11:47 AM

as does my insurance :) I'm off out to play in the sun, have a good day all.