ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Car Care (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/)
-   -   using tar removal products and re-applying polish (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/589767-using-tar-removal-products-and-re-applying-polish.html)

hoskib 09 March 2007 05:51 PM

using tar removal products and re-applying polish

really getting the arse with tar spots and after claying them all off 2 weeks ago it's peppered again:mad:

want to go for a 'wipe on' product but my question is, can these be used then polish applied to the area straight away or does it need to be washed again? if i can get away with re-applying my jeffs acrylic straight on top of the clean area without re-washing this would be great:)

Tim Bomford 11 March 2007 02:57 PM

Margarine is very good for getting off tar spots! Strange but true.

scoobyverysoon 12 March 2007 01:51 PM

:eek: weird

Rich @ PB 13 March 2007 05:52 PM

Sadly not. In most cases glue and tar removers need to be rinsed off thoroughly before any further work is done. Failure to do this simply prevents the next product used from bonding properly. Tar spots can be a major pain in the bum, and if you are collecting them that quickly then I undertsand your frustration. Clark and I have just talked this one through, and to be honest there's little than can be done; using clay or a dedicated tar and glue remover will strip all protection from the paint, and clay is probably the kinder of the two treatments for regular use. We see this problem a lot through the winter months on our own cars, but then come spring it eases. It might be worth holding off another few weeks and then re-claying? One other option is to just apply another coat of Prime; it has chemical cleaning agents in it that will dissolve and remove minor tar spots, whilst at the same time adding a nice coat of protection. Worth a shot? :)

hoskib 13 March 2007 08:11 PM

it's the white that's causing it to stand out TBH, on my old red classic i never noticed tar spots. but now i wash it, think it looks good then get up close and they stand out like a sore thumb:(

minor bits came off with the acrylic jett, but the bigger bits don't shift. bought some autoglym tar remover off ebay a coupel of days ago so will give that a shot. cheers for the advice:thumb:

one thing now you've said it, do i need to use the jeffs prime?:wonder: i've only got the acrylic jett trigger and that's gone on after claying/washing to good result (to my eye!) is the prime essential to the whole process or am i ok with just the acrylic jett? Ta:)

Rich @ PB 13 March 2007 11:49 PM

The Prime Acrylic is an excellent basecoat product, as it really deep cleans the paint, which is useful on white for sure (and Acrylic Jett has no cleansing action). I always start with Prime Acrylic and then finish up with top up coats of Acrylic Jett; starting with Acrylic Jett will certainly protect the paint well, but a proper clean first is probably worth doing after each claying session (you'd be surprised at how dirty the pad gets when applying Prime Acrylic!).