ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   So (please) telll me about.....Stoke-On-Trent (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/589188-so-please-telll-me-about-stoke-on-trent.html)

Nat 07 March 2007 03:46 PM

So (please) telll me about.....Stoke-On-Trent

What's Stoke like? I know absolutely nothing about the place! Any info about it is welcome :thumb:

MattW 07 March 2007 03:47 PM

It's not far from the M6

STi wanna Subaru 07 March 2007 03:48 PM

If you like Chavs you'll love it! ;)

RichWalk 07 March 2007 03:48 PM

Just been voted one of the worst maintained areas (amenities etc) in England, cheapish housing about its only redeeming factor:)

davegtt 07 March 2007 04:04 PM

Made up of 5 towns. which area would you like to know about .... ;)

Nat 07 March 2007 06:22 PM

Thanks....sounds...errrr.....interesting :lol1:

Anyone else got any insight into the area?

salsa-king 07 March 2007 06:31 PM

Robby Williams come from there.

MattW 07 March 2007 06:36 PM

and Robbie Williams did!

;)

Nat 07 March 2007 06:39 PM

"That's where Robbie's from, it's a dirty ****hole though" is all my girlfriend had to say about it this morning :lol1:

Abdabz 07 March 2007 07:17 PM

Me and my friends were once set upon for being white :eek: But we fought with the pride of 3 lions and made the path to the nightclub clear for all people of all races :lol1:

brumdaisy 07 March 2007 11:57 PM

its an absolute f***ing Sh*thole. Beleive me the cheap houses dont come anywhere close to representing the econonic and social decline that area has experienced in the last 20 years or so.

Its had £millions spent on it in the last few years and its still a sh*thole.

IMO of course :)

paul-s 08 March 2007 12:00 AM

Went to a club called The Void there once. Dont remember hardly anything, can anyone enlighten me?

vindaloo 08 March 2007 01:47 AM

ISTR there's Chinese restaurant called the Wing Wah... If it's anything like the one in Burton it's pretty good. It's a buffet though so you need selective vision to pixelate anything over 15st.... :eek:

J.

Jaybird-UK 08 March 2007 06:16 AM

Some Stoke on Trent facts :

Population 237,990 -
Households 99,000 -

Crime
Stoke on Trent City Council English average
Crime statistics are per 1,000 of the population within the local authority area.
Violence against the person 33, English average 16.5
Robbery offences 1, English average 1.4
Theft of a motor vehicle offences 5, English average 4.5
Sexual offences 2, English average 0.9
Burglary dwelling offences 7, English average 6.4
Theft from a vehicle offences 11, English average 10.0

Property
The average price of a property in Stoke-on-Trent is £116,733

neighbourhood profile in Stoke-on-Trent
Family income Low
Interest in current affairs Low
Housing - with mortgage Medium
Educated - to degree Low
Couples with children Medium
Have satellite TV Medium

Find more information at UpMyStreet - Profile and characteristics of your neighbours

john_s 08 March 2007 08:42 AM

The roads going out all seem better than the roads going in.

T4molie 08 March 2007 09:44 AM

They've also been improving the road that goes straight thro to the M6 :D

mpr 08 March 2007 01:31 PM

I come from there and visit regularly. Now live nearer Cambridge. House prices aren't that cheap anymore.... it was seriously cheap when I left but every time I go back it amazes me how much they've gone up - nearly parity with my area now in the nicer bits (when I left 5 years ago they were half price compared with where I am)!!

It is a **** hole, but the more I see of cities in general, the more I realise that it's cities that are ****-holes and not just stoke. The nightlife is ok in Hanley (kids with bottles not withstanding) and Newcastle (big blokes with fists not withstanding). Shelton, Normacot and Cobridge are best described as being populated by non-indigeonous peoples ;-)

There are worse places, and the better ones seem to be slowly declining so that everywhere is getting as bad (or maybe that's just in my area).

Oh and just noticed that you are in Northampton which is where I moved to initially when leaving stoke. Take everything in the posts above with a pinch of salt - you're living somewhere that is arguably worse - and with a pokey town centre !!! ;-)

ChrisB 08 March 2007 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by brumdaisy (Post 6727654)
its an absolute f***ing Sh*thole. Beleive me the cheap houses dont come anywhere close to representing the econonic and social decline that area has experienced in the last 20 years or so.

Its had £millions spent on it in the last few years and its still a sh*thole.

IMO of course :)

Is that Stoke or one of many towns you're talking about?

lozgti 08 March 2007 04:40 PM

I like this

ChavTowns - Stoke-on-Trent....Nuke it !!!!

Lucky Man 08 March 2007 07:05 PM

I have lived 10 miles North of Stoke in Alsager for 15 years. i used to work in Hanley ( the main shopping bit of Stoke ) and I can hand on heart tell you i can think of not one single positive thing to say about Stoke-on-Trent.

I am sure there are worse places to be, but I have never been to one!

If you like being called "Duck" I suppose it might be considered charming.

The biggest gripes I have is that an awful lot of people seem to have a chip on their shoulder, and that unlike a lot of other inner citys the family has no value whatsoever.

In my experience the only descent thing about it is the "D road" (the A500) the road that connects M6 Jct 15 and 16; now they have finished the roadworks it is possible to get out of there even faster!

Pete

PS The Oatcakes are the best thing about Stoke !

homer@duff 08 March 2007 08:07 PM

some **** area's and some good area's trust me i live here...but saying that ive seen worse places outside of stoke imho

Pete The Biker 08 March 2007 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti (Post 6729316)

Yeah - might cause £10 worth of damage!!

Pete

scotty44 08 March 2007 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky Man (Post 6729763)

PS The Oatcakes are the best thing about Stoke !

:notworthy Well said that man :thumb: .....but how many of the above have been round here in the last 2/3 years :confused: ( A few million spent on Hanley alone ) It has changed big time , same as everywhere in the UK there are good/bad parts ( im in a good part BTW lol ) I drive all round the UK & iv seen far worse places to live :D Carnt be all that bad if i can keep a 06 STI & not worry about leaving it in the town :p

Little Miss WRX 08 March 2007 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB (Post 6729299)
Is that Stoke or one of many towns you're talking about?

It's got dodgy feckers living in it....... ;)

The Maccas near to Greens is a good spot hey Chris......and the tunnel on the A50 for testing the level of sound of your exhaust. :lol1:

CRAIGFIN 08 March 2007 10:49 PM

Stoke is my home town but I no longer live there because I'm based elsewhere. However, it is by no means as bad as many people (who probably don't live there) maintain. I have been to far worse towns / cities in the UK than Stoke....real $hitholes. It is currently undergoing massive amounts of regeneration and can only get better.

Oatcakes rule!!:D

106rallye 08 March 2007 11:07 PM

The most famous export from Stoke on Trent is probably Slash from Guns N Roses even though not many people know that!

CRAIGFIN 08 March 2007 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by 106rallye (Post 6730761)
The most famous export from Stoke on Trent is probably Slash from Guns N Roses even though not many people know that!

I knew that!!:D

homer@duff 08 March 2007 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by 106rallye (Post 6730761)
The most famous export from Stoke on Trent is probably Slash from Guns N Roses

err no that would be pottery.then maybe michelin tyres then a toss up between robbie and slash (not many folk know slash was born on bentilee behind some garages).football i here you ask..stanley matthews,the late great john ritchie ( R.I.P).
anyone can slag of a city they dont really care about but its got a lot less murders going on than citys in the news lately!

:hjtwofing

106rallye 08 March 2007 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by homer@duff (Post 6730809)
err no that would be pottery.then maybe michelin tyres then a toss up between robbie and slash (not many folk know slash was born on bentilee behind some garages).football i here you ask..stanley matthews,the late great john ritchie ( R.I.P).
anyone can slag of a city they dont really care about but its got a lot less murders going on than citys in the news lately!

:hjtwofing

Umm.... I wasn't having a go! quite pleased he grew up there! There are a lot of people outside of the UK who have never heard of Robbie and couldn't give a stuff about pottery therefore my comment that he is the most famous export from there thats all!! I will concide the tyres though I didn't know they made them there, presumed they all came from France ;)

Andy

Nat 09 March 2007 03:15 PM

Thanks everyone, will be heading up to have a look for myself in the next week or so, and doing a lot more research on the net beforehand....