ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   STI rattles (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/587710-sti-rattles.html)

MEV 01 March 2007 08:50 PM

STI rattles

Hi, I have a really annoying rattle/tap coming from the back of my car which I can hear even when going over minor ripples in the road when I'm driving around town etc. My kids say it sounds like it's coming from the rear screen but I think it may be the spoiler - it's not that loud but it is really starting to wind me up now. It's a MY05 STI.

Do STI spoilers normally rattle?
I previously owned a MY03 WRX which had a replica fibreglass STI type spoiler and that never rattled at all.

I know my STI has much stiffer suspension and I wondered if maybe all STI rattle around because of this?

Any ideas?

wrx_yank 01 March 2007 08:56 PM

my 06 rear wind screen creeked/rattled so i brought it to the dealer.

it turns out when subaru assembles the windows to the car, small "tabs" with little plastic nipples on them are glued to the edges of the windscreen(hidden normally) that the robots use to center the window on the car.... once the window is in place, these tabs are utterly useless. and the glue eventually breaks down and seperates the plastic from the glass, then the 2 rub together when the body flexes... therefore your sound.

you have to have the window taken off, tabs removed, then the window must be manually re-set.... mine is fine now!

you are lucky i found this thread, otherwise you would have been as clueless as my dealership was!:lol1: :lol1:

MEV 01 March 2007 09:01 PM

Thanks for the reply, I would never have guessed it may be that, does the screen have to come out - it seems a bit drastic to take the screen out on my lovely shiney car!!! Can they do it without damging any surrounding paint etc?

Thanks again

skyline gtr v 01 March 2007 09:08 PM

I just put some wd40 on the rubber just let it go between the glass and rubber then wipe off and i never heard it again,

wrx_yank 01 March 2007 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by MEV (Post 6709868)
Thanks for the reply, I would never have guessed it may be that, does the screen have to come out - it seems a bit drastic to take the screen out on my lovely shiney car!!! Can they do it without damging any surrounding paint etc?

Thanks again

yes if a good tech does it.... its driveable the same day.... i think it took 2.5 hours to do....

Turbotits 01 March 2007 10:09 PM

Ofcourse the other option is that the suspension top mounts are rattling, Making odd noises.

Not an uncommon problem either?

MEV 02 March 2007 01:00 PM

Was yours an STI as well, did you put the WD40 all around the screen or what?

MEV 02 March 2007 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by wrx_yank (Post 6709889)
yes if a good tech does it.... its driveable the same day.... i think it took 2.5 hours to do....

Can they prove its the rear screen without taking it all out because it's seems a lot of work if it turns out to be something else like the spoiler which I've not ruled out yet?

wrx_yank 02 March 2007 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by MEV (Post 6711528)
Can they prove its the rear screen without taking it all out because it's seems a lot of work if it turns out to be something else like the spoiler which I've not ruled out yet?

no, they cant... but you wouldent be paying, subaru would.

Sti_Prodrive 02 March 2007 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by MEV (Post 6709833)
Hi, I have a really annoying rattle/tap coming from the back of my car which I can hear even when going over minor ripples in the road when I'm driving around town etc. My kids say it sounds like it's coming from the rear screen but I think it may be the spoiler - it's not that loud but it is really starting to wind me up now. It's a MY05 STI.

Do STI spoilers normally rattle?
I previously owned a MY03 WRX which had a replica fibreglass STI type spoiler and that never rattled at all.

I know my STI has much stiffer suspension and I wondered if maybe all STI rattle around because of this?

Any ideas?

Do have the original exhaust or have u changed your exhaust by any chance?

I use to have the same problem that’s your describing on my Classic shape Scooby & found out that it’s my exhaust! Got it sorted out & now no problem thank god :thumb:

skyline gtr v 02 March 2007 09:05 PM

Put it all round the ruber and just let it soke and noise was gone.
Took me days to find out what was making the noise.

MEV 02 March 2007 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sti_Prodrive (Post 6712933)
Do have the original exhaust or have u changed your exhaust by any chance?

I use to have the same problem that’s your describing on my Classic shape Scooby & found out that it’s my exhaust! Got it sorted out & now no problem thank god :thumb:

No its the original exhaust, thanks to all the replies I've got a few things to check now so hopefully i'll get it sorted.

MEV 02 March 2007 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by skyline gtr v (Post 6712947)
Put it all round the ruber and just let it soke and noise was gone.
Took me days to find out what was making the noise.

Thanks I may try that first.